White Sox see multiple players on top defensive MiLB CF's

southsider2k5

I still wouldn't quite give up on Thompson, but my faith has been in a steep drop for a while.

Engel is in a similar mode to other toolsy OF's who haven't put it together - Thompson, Mitchell, Walker. Though Engel is faster than all those guys, and has more raw power than Walker.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 06:50 AM)
I still wouldn't quite give up on Thompson, but my faith has been in a steep drop for a while.

Engel is in a similar mode to other toolsy OF's who haven't put it together - Thompson, Mitchell, Walker. Though Engel is faster than all those guys, and has more raw power than Walker.

I see Trayce's floor as the next Jordan Danks. Which is fine, as I'm sure we must be approaching the option limit for how many times we can jerk him around :D

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
I see Trayce's floor as the next Jordan Danks. Which is fine, as I'm sure we must be approaching the option limit for how many times we can jerk him around :D

After what he's put up the last couple years with the bats, I'd be impressed if his floor was D2. That'd be a big improvement.

Outside of a call up in 2012 where Trayce batted .280, he has always been in the low to mid 200's in BA and that goes from rookie league through AA covering 2009- 2014. IMO, as of right now Trayce has shown that his ceiling is below Danks floor. Trayce is 23 and struggling at AA while Danks at 23 was at Charlotte. At this point, the best one could hope for our of Trayce would be a backup OF. His low BA and strike outs are killing his value and potential upside.

I know he's only 23 but seeing how Trayce is struggling at AA, how long before he earns a callup to Charlotte? Then, how long before he earns a callup to the Sox? If ever? I know I sound like I given up on him but a 23 year old batting .237 at AA and striking out 151 times in 595 plate appearances doesn't do much as far as confidence goes. To this point, he's just not a good hitter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
Outside of a call up in 2012 where Trayce batted .280, he has always been in the low to mid 200's in BA and that goes from rookie league through AA covering 2009- 2014. IMO, as of right now Trayce has shown that his ceiling is below Danks floor. Trayce is 23 and struggling at AA while Danks at 23 was at Charlotte. At this point, the best one could hope for our of Trayce would be a backup OF. His low BA and strike outs are killing his value and potential upside.

I know he's only 23 but seeing how Trayce is struggling at AA, how long before he earns a callup to Charlotte? Then, how long before he earns a callup to the Sox? If ever? I know I sound like I given up on him but a 23 year old batting .237 at AA and striking out 151 times in 595 plate appearances doesn't do much as far as confidence goes. To this point, he's just not a good hitter.

The bolded is a little ridiculous. With the tools Trayce has, his FLOOR is probably what D2 is right now. His ceiling is much higher. Danks was 23 at Charlotte because he reached Charlotte after just 113 pro games, which is insane and was quite obviously far too aggressive. He then spent 2.5 seasons there until he got good. Danks also does not have the speed or raw power that Thompson does.

Thompson hasn't put it together yet, and there's a good chance he won't. But he's already, today, going to be similar to what Danks brings in the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
The bolded is a little ridiculous. With the tools Trayce has, his FLOOR is probably what D2 is right now. His ceiling is much higher. Danks was 23 at Charlotte because he reached Charlotte after just 113 pro games, which is insane and was quite obviously far too aggressive. He then spent 2.5 seasons there until he got good. Danks also does not have the speed or raw power that Thompson does.

Thompson hasn't put it together yet, and there's a good chance he won't. But he's already, today, going to be similar to what Danks brings in the majors.

So Trayce Thompson's floor is a backup major league OF who is at least on occasion tolerable with the bat? You will guarantee that he will reach that level?

I just don't see that. His floor to me is a guy who struggles with offense at Charlotte and is only ever promoted as an injury fill in because he hits worse than Danks.

He definitely has the tools to be better than that, but right now I'm skeptical that he'll ever reach the level Jordan currently is. That's what it means that "his floor is lower than Danks right now".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
So Trayce Thompson's floor is a backup major league OF who is at least on occasion tolerable with the bat? You will guarantee that he will reach that level?

I just don't see that. His floor to me is a guy who struggles with offense at Charlotte and is only ever promoted as an injury fill in because he hits worse than Danks.

He definitely has the tools to be better than that, but right now I'm skeptical that he'll ever reach the level Jordan currently is. That's what it means that "his floor is lower than Danks right now".

I'd be OK with an argument that Thompson's FLOOR is lower than Danks' FLOOR, though I honestly think those two things are interchangeable at the moment. But an argument that Thompson's CEILING is lower than Danks2's FLOOR is, IMO, wholly inaccurate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
I'd be OK with an argument that Thompson's FLOOR is lower than Danks' FLOOR, though I honestly think those two things are interchangeable at the moment. But an argument that Thompson's CEILING is lower than Danks2's FLOOR is, IMO, wholly inaccurate.

At the time, I don't see it as inaccurate. Trayce continues to stuggle at Birmingham and shows no signs of being ready to make the jump to Charlotte. If he does manage to make the jump to Charlotte, how long will he need to spend at Charlotte adjusting to better pitching before he might ready for a call up? Danks floor has shown to be a quality backup OF with some pop at the major league level and yet, so far, Trayce still struggles with AA. This makes it rather difficult for me to see much of a ceiling with Trayce, at this point.

I really hope I'm dead wrong and should Trayce prove me wrong in the future I will happily admit it. But for now, IMO, his ceiling is lower than Danks floor. I hope he changes my opinion, I really do.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
At the time, I don't see it as inaccurate. Trayce continues to stuggle at Birmingham and shows no signs of being ready to make the jump to Charlotte. If he does manage to make the jump to Charlotte, how long will he need to spend at Charlotte adjusting to better pitching before he might ready for a call up? Danks floor has shown to be a quality backup OF with some pop at the major league level and yet, so far, Trayce still struggles with AA. This makes it rather difficult for me to see much of a ceiling with Trayce, at this point.

I really hope I'm dead wrong and should Trayce prove me wrong in the future I will happily admit it. But for now, IMO, his ceiling is lower than Danks floor. I hope he changes my opinion, I really do.

There's no way Thompson's ceiling is lower than Danks' floor. Basically you are saying that if everything goes right and he develops into all of his talent, he'd be no better than Danks at his worst. That's crazy. Even with his struggles, Thompson is still a 4 tool player. If he doesn't hit for a high average, he could still further develop his power and turn into a Chris Young or Drew Stubbs type of player. That has value and it's a hell of a lot more than Danks' floor.

For the record, here was the average line at AA: .254/.328/.382/.711. And here is Thompson: .237/.324/.419/.743.

Danks has already proven he can be a player of some value, so that's good, but Thompson has a ceiling that is still very high, and I'm not even a big fan of Trayce Thompson.

Just better hope danman doesn't see this. :)

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
here is question, at what point does a prospects stop being a prospects. at what

age. Thompson, is 23 and will be 24 next season. is he still really a 4 tool player?

For us, he stops being a prospect when we have someone with better prospects who needs the 40 man roster spot or he runs out of options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
For us, he stops being a prospect when we have someone with better prospects who needs the 40 man roster spot or he runs out of options.

here is example to shoot me in the foot, was / is carroll a prospect at 29?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
There's no way Thompson's ceiling is lower than Danks' floor. Basically you are saying that if everything goes right and he develops into all of his talent, he'd be no better than Danks at his worst. That's crazy. Even with his struggles, Thompson is still a 4 tool player. If he doesn't hit for a high average, he could still further develop his power and turn into a Chris Young or Drew Stubbs type of player. That has value and it's a hell of a lot more than Danks' floor.

For the record, here was the average line at AA: .254/.328/.382/.711. And here is Thompson: .237/.324/.419/.743.

Danks has already proven he can be a player of some value, so that's good, but Thompson has a ceiling that is still very high, and I'm not even a big fan of Trayce Thompson.

Just better hope danman doesn't see this. :)

How high of a ceiling can be projected for a player that's struggling to hit his way out of AA? That's why I say, AT THIS POINT, when I refer to his ceiling is lower than Danks floor. Danks has made it to the big league club, something ( at this point) I doubt Trayce will be able to do. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
How high of a ceiling can be projected for a player that's struggling to hit his way out of AA? That's why I say, AT THIS POINT, when I refer to his ceiling is lower than Danks floor. Danks has made it to the big league club, something ( at this point) I doubt Trayce will be able to do. I hope I'm wrong.

You have a clear misunderstanding of ceilings for prospects.

Ceiling is everything goes right and clicks for them, not his current production.