Tool Grade

Fastball 80

Command 45

Slider 65

Command 45

Changeup 50

Command 45

Overview

When three of your first four pitches clock in at 99 mph, the velocity of most pitchers has only one direction to go. But Montas clocked in at 100 mph in the second inning. Let’s examine Montas’ power stuff.

Fastball 

Future Grade: 80

Although he touched 100 Thursday, Montas’ velocity sat at 97-98 for 3 1/3 innings. Use any scouting adjective you want to describe his fastball: electric, explosive, pure power. All of those would describe Montas’ fastball. His fastball life was above average. The movement and explosiveness of his fastball caused three passed balls for the catcher. The major knock on his fastball (if there is one for his type of velocity) is that there is not much deception to the hitters. He opens up slightly and gives the hitters a real good look at his fastball. Several opposing hitters really squared up his fastball. His command grade was a 45. Despite the velocity, he had a tendency to leave the ball up and out over the plate. Opposing hitters put some good swings on his fastball. It’s easy to give his fastball an 80 on the scale. The real question is how does that 80 fastball play in the game?

Slider

Future Grade: 70

There are very few true sliders that check in at 89-90 mph. His slider had a short break with some depth. Opposing hitters made some contact but this should be his out pitch in the future. Once again, command was an issue. I gave him 45 command with a future 50 command. He recorded one strikeout with the pitch, a well-located offering that ended up low and away. He showed confidence and went back-to-back with it a few times. It’s a tough pitch for hitters to overcome when it’s located.

Changeup 

Future Grade: 50

As with his slider, few changeups clock in at 86-90. Most of his changes were 89-90. As his third pitch, he sometimes struggled to find his release point and again his command was 40/45. This is a pitch that he looks like he is working to improve. He did show some confidence in it and threw it several times. He did record a strikeout looking on a 90 mph change.

Makeup/Intangibles

Future Grade: 50

Montas was aggressive in using his fastball and looked to come right after hitters early in the count. He had some sloppy defense behind him and seemed to shake off the miscues and get right back after it. He was not great at holding the runners and allowed an easy stolen base where the catcher had no chance.

Overview

Although he has been used exclusively as a starter in the minor leagues, Montas has the stuff to be a major league closer, but he is still pretty far away from that role at this point in his development. His command of all of his pitches must improve. A successful closer not only must throw strikes, but he has to throw quality strikes. Despite having three strikeouts Thursday, it didn’t feel like he had a go-to strikeout pitch. I can see him starting in a seventh or eighth-inning, setup role before moving into the closer role. He will have to find that strikeout pitch to move into the closer’s role. It doesn’t feel like his best role is going to be that of a starter. There’s a lot to get excited about with the electric, power stuff he displays. He will likely start in Double-A next spring unless he proves that his stuff plays at the major league level in spring training next year. Montas is a good prospect with still some upside.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scou...ncellis-montas/

So it sounds like his delivery and command is hurting his the effectiveness of his fastball. Command is still at 40-45 for other pitches. I do not know what his command was coming into this year, but it doesn't sound like he made much improvement. Losing half of the season to injury definitely hurts. And this is also just 1 start in AFL, hopefully he makes adjustments rest of the way.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
So it sounds like his delivery and command is hurting his the effectiveness of his fastball. Command is still at 40-45 for other pitches. I do not know what his command was coming into this year, but it doesn't sound like he made much improvement. Losing half of the season to injury definitely hurts. And this is also just 1 start in AFL, hopefully he makes adjustments rest of the way.

Which is crazy to me because I thought last year showed dramatic improvement in command. His k/bb was great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Which is crazy to me because I thought last year showed dramatic improvement in command. His k/bb was great.

There is a difference between control and command, and the scouting report kind of tells you about that. He has general control over his arsenal such that he can throw strikes, but he doesn't have good enough command on any of them to throw the right strikes consistently with each. His individual pitch command is what needs work.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
There is a difference between control and command, and the scouting report kind of tells you about that. He has general control over his arsenal such that he can throw strikes, but he doesn't have good enough command on any of them to throw the right strikes consistently with each. His individual pitch command is what needs work.

Of course he has a long way to go, but also it's rather silly to put too much on three innings in a first outing in the AFL. Completely laughable, really. Montas was throwing 100+, a few ticks higher than his usual, which tells me there's an excellent chance he was overthrowing in an attempt to impress. This typically leads to a loss of command. The excellent reports of his performance while healthy at WS this year indicated significant strides in command as well as control. He was typically mid to upper nineties in those outings, not 100+.

You can put a lot on these infinitesimally tiny sample size reports if you wish, and there's no other data input currently, so people will. This guy's repertoire is a starter's if the changeup improvement is real.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Of course he has a long way to go, but also it's rather silly to put too much on three innings in a first outing in the AFL. Completely laughable, really. Montas was throwing 100+, a few ticks higher than his usual, which tells me there's an excellent chance he was overthrowing in an attempt to impress. This typically leads to a loss of command. The excellent reports of his performance while healthy at WS this year indicated significant strides in command as well as control. He was typically mid to upper nineties in those outings, not 100+.

You can put a lot on these infinitesimally tiny sample size reports if you wish, and there's no other data input currently, so people will. This guy's repertoire is a starter's if the changeup improvement is real.

Not sure why you responded to me on this? Pretty sure I never said my belief in him (or lack thereof) was somehow established by this one report. There have been reports of varying depth on this guy for years, and there are patterns in the noise. Those are things I highlighted, along with pointing out the difference between individual pitch command and overall control and strike-throwing.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)

in my top 10 at the beginning of the season, i had him raked #5. i have looked at

him for a while. the problem then is still the problem now. does that change

my opinion of him, no. can he still be a starting pitchers, maybe, bottom line

he can be a great closer.

the only problem i still have beside developing a #3 pitch is, is

he still throwing with movement on his fastball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Not sure why you responded to me on this? Pretty sure I never said my belief in him (or lack thereof) was somehow established by this one report. There have been reports of varying depth on this guy for years, and there are patterns in the noise. Those are things I highlighted, along with pointing out the difference between individual pitch command and overall control and strike-throwing.

Sorry. Was meant to be a general response to the value of the report.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Actually, it's a fairly complimentary comparison.

If Frank Montas turns out anything close to Bartolo Colon, and we get something resembling a solid RF (say a 50 of 80) out of Garcia, that would make it one of the best trades in White Sox team history, when you consider the contract, injury history, and agedness of Jake Peavy.

That also assumes we get nothing out of Wendleken and Rodon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
If Frank Montas turns out anything close to Bartolo Colon, and we get something resembling a solid RF (say a 50 of 80) out of Garcia, that would make it one of the best trades in White Sox team history, when you consider the contract, injury history, and agedness of Jake Peavy.

That also assumes we get nothing out of Wendleken and Rodon.

Great timing.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/prospe...steal-white-sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)

The laziness of the Cleuluis Rondon section is just awful.

"The White Sox also acquired glove-first infielder Cleuluis Rondon from Boston in the trade. Rondon entered the season as the No. 26 prospect in the system and is good enough defensively to be a shortstop — if his bat ever catches up."

He is good enough defensively to be a shortstop. Really? That's all the writer could come up with? Do some research on the other prospects of the trade. Cleuluis is another prospect with great potential. His bat was good enough while in A+. That defense at shortstop is so valuable. He is known for his plus-plus defense at shortstop. Embarrassing on Dan Hayes part. Stating " He is good enough defensively to be a shortstop" is selling him very short.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

"The White Sox also acquired glove-first infielder Cleuluis Rondon from Boston in the trade. Rondon entered the season as the No. 26 prospect in the system and is good enough defensively to be a shortstop — if his bat ever catches up."

He is good enough defensively to be a shortstop. Really? That's all the writer could come up with? Do some research on the other prospects of the trade. Cleuluis is another prospect with great potential. His bat was good enough while in A+. That defense at shortstop is so valuable. He is known for his plus-plus defense at shortstop. Embarrassing on Dan Hayes part. Stating " He is good enough defensively to be a shortstop" is selling him very short.

In all fairness Cleuluis isn't popping guns at 102 with control. Yay Defense Only A-Ball isn't really a good story...yet.

Montas is 6 million dollar Tyler Kolek except he throws harder, has more control, has way better secondary stuff, has logged way more professional innings which makes him way closer to the majors. Way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
I got the impression it was more about frame and body type, than current BMI or muscle bulk.

Where is the exact original "worrisome" quote about his frame/body style? It was something along the lines of the scout not being in love with his body, but enamored with his arm, more or less.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
In all fairness Cleuluis isn't popping guns at 102 with control. Yay Defense Only A-Ball isn't really a good story...yet.

Montas is 6 million dollar Tyler Kolek except he throws harder, has more control, has way better secondary stuff, has logged way more professional innings which makes him way closer to the majors. Way.

a great analogy, I just hope he can develop that 3rd pitch and feel comfortable with it .

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

Rondon has been a bit undersold but defense isn't sexy. If Rondon hits over .200 he'll be a major leaguer. That's the bottom line.