Semien

brian310

Anyone think there is a chance this guy sticks when Beckham comes back over Garcia? I think if you can get him into the lineup 4-5 games a week between second, third and the occasional game at short, he may be worth keeping on the team. The Rangers were able to get Profar into the lineup enough last season and they had Kinsler, Andrus, and Beltre ahead of him on the depth chart. Far more impressive than Gillaspie, Ramirez, Beckham. In my opinion, Semien should stick on the roster over Garcia.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Anyone think there is a chance this guy sticks when Beckham comes back over Garcia? I think if you can get him into the lineup 4-5 games a week between second, third and the occasional game at short, he may be worth keeping on the team. The Rangers were able to get Profar into the lineup enough last season and they had Kinsler, Andrus, and Beltre ahead of him on the depth chart. Far more impressive than Gillaspie, Ramirez, Beckham. In my opinion, Semien should stick on the roster over Garcia.

I hope not. I want Semien playing everyday. If that means Charlotte, so be it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
I'd rather the Sox move on from Beckham. He's drawing walks, playing solid defense, and his bat is starting to come around. I also strongly doubt he continues striking out at this current pace.

The Sox need to play Beckham in order to create a market to move on from him. Giving him away is a terrible idea. There are not enough at bats for Semien between Beckham on his rehab assignment and Kepp soon to start his.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Don't think Beckham is going to raise his stock much either. Still probably worth a few fringe arms/low a prospects no matter how much time he gets in.

Great post.

By now teams know what Beckham is. The only way this could turn out OK is if the Sox magic of 2014 rubs off on Beckham and he has one of those rare Beckham hot hot streaks right off the bat. I'm talking about those streaks that sometimes come when his parents are in town. Aside from that ... we all IMO need to quit thinking of Beckham as a top 10 pick or whatever he was. That was a miscalculation by scouts. he's just another guy, folks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
I'd rather the Sox move on from Beckham. He's drawing walks, playing solid defense, and his bat is starting to come around. I also strongly doubt he continues striking out at this current pace.

I agree with this. I think he's just a better player. Saw this stat this morning: White Sox infielder Marcus Semien is hitting .412 (7-for-17) in the seventh inning or later.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
The Sox need to play Beckham in order to create a market to move on from him. Giving him away is a terrible idea. There are not enough at bats for Semien between Beckham on his rehab assignment and Kepp soon to start his.

What value? If he comes out and hits .300/.350/.400, are teams really going to be lining up trying to trade for him? I think his value basically is what it is. The most you could do is go from a C prospect to a C+ prospect.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
What value? If he comes out and hits .300/.350/.400, are teams really going to be lining up trying to trade for him? I think his value basically is what it is. The most you could do is go from a C prospect to a C+ prospect.

Well, the one difference we could make is having Beckham play for a month and be healthy for a month, as compared to right now when he's simply not healthy. Important at that level to get him some playing time if we are hoping to try to trade him for anything.

If he gets hurt again, then his value is basically nothing.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
I agree with this. I think he's just a better player. Saw this stat this morning: White Sox infielder Marcus Semien is hitting .412 (7-for-17) in the seventh inning or later.

That makes him 5 for 34 (.147) against starting caliber pitching, and not great SP either based on the teams the Sox have played. Semien needs to go back down and get every day at bats, pushing him up to early will result in having the same conversation about him in three years that every one wants to have about Beckham.

Beckham pretty much mirrored his breakout rookie season last season, minus the power, which is not unexpected given a hamate injury. Selling low on him is akin to the Indians giving up Brandon Phillips for a RP. You need to let it play out and see what you really have not that he appears to have his approach in order. You can really blame his second and third seasons on him being rushed and not learning to make appropriate adjustments in the minors, and the majors is not a forgiving place to learn how to adapt your approach, especially with lift and pull as your hitting coach. If Beckham were on any other team, fans would want to pick him up to see if we could get him to turn it around. There is no reason not to take a flier on him this season and see where it gets you. If he regresses, hes non-tendered, if he puts up similar numbers to last season and the power comes back you have a top 5 second basemen.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
That makes him 5 for 34 (.147) against starting caliber pitching, and not great SP either based on the teams the Sox have played. Semien needs to go back down and get every day at bats, pushing him up to early will result in having the same conversation about him in three years that every one wants to have about Beckham.

Beckham pretty much mirrored his breakout rookie season last season, minus the power, which is not unexpected given a hamate injury. Selling low on him is akin to the Indians giving up Brandon Phillips for a RP. You need to let it play out and see what you really have not that he appears to have his approach in order. You can really blame his second and third seasons on him being rushed and not learning to make appropriate adjustments in the minors, and the majors is not a forgiving place to learn how to adapt your approach, especially with lift and pull as your hitting coach. If Beckham were on any other team, fans would want to pick him up to see if we could get him to turn it around. There is no reason not to take a flier on him this season and see where it gets you. If he regresses, hes non-tendered, if he puts up similar numbers to last season and the power comes back you have a top 5 second basemen.

Great post.

Beckham wasn't rushed. He has a horrible looking swing and pitchers adjusted. He never had a good approach, but had the wrists and reflexes to hit mediocre pitching. He wasn't able to adapt. He's a bust. Even if he starts out on fire, he won't have any value. Teams aren't clamoring for busted prospects in arbitration.

I wouldn't compare him to Semien. Semien has a much better approach and a lower maintenance swing.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)

That covers most of it, good post.

And I'll add, you certainly might up his trade value if he gets going later this month and plays well in May and June. In any case, it does not hurt Semien to play a little more in AAA, and the overall value equation says it is better to have Beckham play for now. Semien is a long term answer at one of the infield positions, but it doesn't have to be today.

As a backup he's not going to get more than maybe 3 starts a week max, plus the occasional PH/PR role, and that just isn't enough.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Beckham's power diminished because he completely rebuilt his stance. It's also the only way he can make consistent contact.

If there is any player where you can clearly see a mechanical issue its Beckham.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)

Would you feel better about him if those numbers were reversed? I'd love it if he were hitting higher than .235 and not leading the team in K's, but I like what I've seen so far. I also think some of the late relievers he's seen are actually better than some of the SP's. Bottom line, I'd rather see Marcus get AB's every day against major league pitching. I don't see the logic that his development will mirror Gordon's and fall into the same rut. If the Sox are committed to a season of developing young talent then that's even more reason to play Marcus. If anything I'd much rather part ways with Gillaspie and see Marcus at 3rd and Gordon at 2nd rather than sending the former down to AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
That covers most of it, good post.

And I'll add, you certainly might up his trade value if he gets going later this month and plays well in May and June. In any case, it does not hurt Semien to play a little more in AAA, and the overall value equation says it is better to have Beckham play for now. Semien is a long term answer at one of the infield positions, but it doesn't have to be today.

As a backup he's not going to get more than maybe 3 starts a week max, plus the occasional PH/PR role, and that just isn't enough.

The problem with sending Semien down is that when the season started we had Abreu, Avisail Garcia, Eaton ,Johnson and Semien to watch for how the new look Sox would fare since most of us didn't see the Sox contending. With Garcia out for the year many of us would like to see Semien stay up since he hasn't done bad at all. He's definitely holding his own and is a big part of the reconstructed top of the order that has been getting on allowing Abreu to drive in runs.

If he is sent down to make room for Beckham we're getting closer to looking like we did last year ( with less reliable starting pitching) which none of us want from a purely selfish point of view of wanting to see the future now.

It's pretty obvious the Sox really like Semien's style of working the count. That has never been Beckham's strong suit. We'd all love to see Beckham gain some value but not at Semien's or our selfish desire to see him every day.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
The problem with sending Semien down is that when the season started we had Abreu, Avisail Garcia, Eaton ,Johnson and Semien to watch for how the new look Sox would fare since most of us didn't see the Sox contending. With Garcia out for the year many of us would like to see Semien stay up since he hasn't done bad at all. He's definitely holding his own and is a big part of the reconstructed top of the order that has been getting on allowing Abreu to drive in runs.

If he is sent down to make room for Beckham we're getting closer to looking like we did last year ( with less reliable starting pitching) which none of us want from a purely selfish point of view of wanting to see the future now.

It's pretty obvious the Sox really like Semien's style of working the count. That has never been Beckham's strong suit. We'd all love to see Beckham gain some value but not at Semien's or our selfish desire to see him every day.

Except in a rebuilding situation, the idea is to put anyone who isn't in the teams plans into the best possible light to maximize their trade value. Gordo getting 200 ABs this year is literally flushing money and an asset away.