Zach Putnam to Chicago, Veal DFA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I personally think Veal is far better than Putnam. This move dissappoints me.

I'm kinda with you here. Maybe better than the current version of Downs, too. But I'll get over it.

I believe they can DFA him and pull him back if claimed. Can this be used for a fresh arm in the pen for a day or two.

If he clears waivers he can then be sent down.

No, only in August can you pull guys back from waivers, and even then it has to be before you DFA them. The Sox have 10 days to work out a trade, but nobody is going to offer anything. Since he's a lefty, I give it about a 50/50 chance whether or not he gets claimed. Lefty relievers, even mediocre ones, are hard to find.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I believe they can DFA him and pull him back if claimed. Can this be used for a fresh arm in the pen for a day or two.

If he clears waivers he can then be sent down.

Designating a player for assignment puts the player on irrevocable waivers for a 3 day period whereupon they are either assigned to a minor league based on the clubs discretion, released by the club outright, or (if they have accrued enough MLB service time, which Veal has not), they can opt for free agency.

Come Sunday night, Donnie Veal will either be on Charlotte's roster or he will be in another organization.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
I assume so we have a fresh arm in the bullpen tonight.

Downs and Petrika should be plenty fresh... They couldn't have expended that much effort walking the 1 batter each of them faced.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
No, only in August can you pull guys back from waivers, and even then it has to be before you DFA them. The Sox have 10 days to work out a trade, but nobody is going to offer anything. Since he's a lefty, I give it about a 50/50 chance whether or not he gets claimed. Lefty relievers, even mediocre ones, are hard to find.

You can put and pull guys back from waivers all the time so long as it is the first time they've been on waivers during that fiscal year. If they clear waivers, they are free to be traded after August 1st and any time after that. However, if they are not in the organization by August 31st, they will not qualify for postseason play.

DFA, as just explained, is actually removing them from the roster, so said player is automatically placed on irrevocable waivers. MLB and the MLBPA would much prefer having players already in the MLB remain in the MLB, so if they are DFA'd (forced to go to the minors or free agency), they would prefer giving teams a chance to add them to their MLB roster first.

You can put and pull guys back from waivers all the time so long as it is the first time they've been on waivers during that fiscal year. If they clear waivers, they are free to be traded after August 1st and any time after that. However, if they are not in the organization by August 31st, they will not qualify for postseason play.

DFA, as just explained, is actually removing them from the roster, so said player is automatically placed on irrevocable waivers. MLB and the MLBPA would much prefer having players already in the MLB remain in the MLB, so if they are DFA'd (forced to go to the minors or free agency), they would prefer giving teams a chance to add them to their MLB roster first.

OK, I guess I should have clarified. You can pull the guy back from waivers, but only if you keep him on your roster. You can't pull a guy back from waivers and then outright him to AAA.

If the Sox have DFA'd Veal, then they aren't going to pull him back if he's claimed. I can't remember a guy who got DFA'd and then added back onto the roster before the 10 days are up.