Nick Swisher Retires

Panerista

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the two Swisher trades have to be among the dumbest trades of KW's tenure, right? (And that's a high bar, IMO...)

When Gio Gonzalez is literally the best play you've traded away, I think you're doing OK. Obviousl KW never focused on acquiring young players and keeping his farm intact, but honestly no one he traded away ever amounted to much. The Chris Youngs, Dan Hudsons, Aaron Poredas, Chris Carters, Jeremy Reeds, Brandon McCarthys, Clayton Richards, etc., never became quality big leaguers that would have been core players for the Sox. I didn't necessarily always love KWs style, but what he traded away never amounted to much.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
When Gio Gonzalez is literally the best play you've traded away, I think you're doing OK. Obviousl KW never focused on acquiring young players and keeping his farm intact, but honestly no one he traded away ever amounted to much. The Chris Youngs, Dan Hudsons, Aaron Poredas, Chris Carters, Jeremy Reeds, Brandon McCarthys, Clayton Richards, etc., never became quality big leaguers that would have been core players for the Sox. I didn't necessarily always love KWs style, but what he traded away never amounted to much.

That was before the whole league realized the Williams regime couldn't draft fielding talent.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
Mark Gonzales told me the perfect Swisher story. When he was struggling in the second half with the Sox and Ken Griffey Jr. tried to help him around the batting cage, he blew him off.

Ken Griffey...

Mark

I think it was Silvy on ESPN 1000 who once shared the following anecdote:

The Sox were flying somewhere before ST started in `08. Swisher thought it would be cute to go surfing down the aisle as the plane was taking off (whatever that means)

The plane is taking off, and Nick is making a complete ass of himself ("SWISH-A-LICIOUS BABY')

AJ turned to the person sitting next to him and says "I hate this guy already." :lol:

QUOTE (Tmar @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
Who

Without question, one of my least favorite Sox players. Ever. Terrible player and totally fake funny -- always "laughing" in the dugout and "entertaining" the guys -- just a total camera-hog, like our version of Mark Grace, but more annoying and less talented. And Hawk just loved him. Good God.

I loved when we first got him. I was so excited, and I loved his personality. Then...it started to wear on me when he sucked. And then when I heard how much he annoyed his teammates. And then I started to realize how much of a douche he was. It also doesn't help that we gave up good parts to GET him, and got NOTHING when we traded him away. Both trades were awful.