Your 2018 Chicago White Sox Opening Day Lineup

ScootsMcGoots

Not gonna lie guys, I think the Sox are gonna score some runs next year. This is exciting to think about right now because the offense is hitting, but what I think is so unique about this bunch is they have a good balance of different tools they can choose from. They have the ability to hit homeruns, but they also have speed and quite a bit of contact guys. They also have a good mix of righties and lefties. Renteria can do a lot with this bunch. Check out this potential starting lineup...

1. Leury Garcia LF

2. Moncada .....2B

3. Abreu .........1B/DH

4. Avi .............RF

5. Delmonico....DH/1B (He can learn 1B)

6. Davidson......3B

7. Anderson......SS

8. Smith/Omar...C

9. Engel............CF

Lots of balance in that lineup. If we can get August 2017 Tim Anderson to play for 3-4 months out of the year, and if all those players put up offensive numbers like they have been to go along with the tools they are known for, then this team will be fun to watch, even if the bullpen blows all the games. Delmonico is also still a big question mark, but I'm let's ride that horse as far as it will take us. He is hitting like a 3-5 hitter right now. Power lefty bat? Yes please!!

Bench= Yolmer (I see him platooning quite often with Davidson), Smith/Omar, Outfielder (Hansen?), and Saladino.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Tilson or a similar fringy prospect can step up and at least be a platoon option for CF because Engel is not the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a low-cost reclamation project vet or two, with the idea of flipping them during the season.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
Not gonna lie guys, I think the Sox are gonna score some runs next year. This is exciting to think about right now because the offense is hitting, but what I think is so unique about this bunch is they have a good balance of different tools they can choose from. They have the ability to hit homeruns, but they also have speed and quite a bit of contact guys. They also have a good mix of righties and lefties. Renteria can do a lot with this bunch. Check out this potential starting lineup...

1. Leury Garcia LF

2. Moncada .....2B

3. Abreu .........1B/DH

4. Avi .............RF

6. Davidson......3B

7. Anderson......SS

8. Smith/Omar...C

9. Engel............CF

Lots of balance in that lineup. If we can get August 2017 Tim Anderson to play for 3-4 months out of the year, and if all those players put up offensive numbers like they have been to go along with the tools they are known for, then this team will be fun to watch, even if the bullpen blows all the games. Delmonico is also still a big question mark, but I'm let's ride that horse as far as it will take us. He is hitting like a 3-5 hitter right now. Power lefty bat? Yes please!!

Bench= Yolmer (I see him platooning quite often with Davidson), Smith/Omar, Outfielder (Hansen?), and Saladino.

What are your thoughts?

That is pretty much the lineup the Sox have been using since the trade deadline and they are last in the AL, averaging 4 runs per game. So if all those players put up offensive numbers like they have been it will be pretty much the same as this season. We need a major improvement from Moncada, Avi needs another career year, Abreu can't slip and everyone else needs to improve a little except maybe Delmonico whom in fairness may be playing over his head.

I think next year is another bad year where we get a good draft pick and hopefully see Moncada bust out and Anderson raise his average 20 points.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
I hope Tilson or a similar fringy prospect can step up and at least be a platoon option for CF because Engel is not the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a low-cost reclamation project vet or two, with the idea of flipping them during the season.

No Leury in CF with Cordell and other AAA OF like Liriano get looks in LF or Tilson in CF

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)

1. Leury Garcia LF

2. Moncada .....2B

3. Abreu .........1B/DH

4. Avi .............RF

6. Davidson......3B

7. Anderson......SS

8. Smith/Omar...C

9. Engel............CF

What are your thoughts?

Not really. Many of these guys are overperforming, so you want that to continue and basically everyone else to hit their ceiling? That's just not going to happen. It's likely one of the worst offense in the league, which is fine.

There's an awful lot of mediocre-to-bad outfield options to shake out, so I don't think we'll know for sure until after ST. Leury should start, unless he's traded, and i'm kind of working under the assumption that Avi will be traded. That gives us Engel, Cordell, Tilson, Willy Garcia, possibly Hanson, as well as any FA that are brought in (wouldn't mind a Granderson signing myself) to fill two spots.

The IF is a bit more settled, with Davidson, Anderson, Moncada and Abreu presumably returning. Catcher is a wild card, but I guess it's Narvaez by default. Rodon will start, barring injury.

As of now, I'd predict it to look like this:

1. Leury Garcia CF

2. Yoan Moncada 2B

3. Jose Abreu 1B

4. Casey Gillaspie DH

5. Matt Davidson 3B

6. Nick Delmonico LF

7. Ryan Cordell RF

8. Kevan Smith C

9. Tim Anderson SS

Rotation:

1. Carlos Rodon LHP

2. James Shields RHP

3. Lucas Giolito RHP

4. Reynaldo Lopez RHP

5. Veteran Free Agent

Bullpen:

Nate Jones RHP

Zach Putnam RHP

Free Agent

Free Agent

Aaron Bummer LHP

2 more spots

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)

1. Leury Garcia CF

2. Yoan Moncada 2B

3. Jose Abreu 1B

4. Casey Gillaspie DH

5. Matt Davidson 3B

6. Nick Delmonico LF

7. Ryan Cordell RF

8. Kevan Smith C

9. Tim Anderson SS

Rotation:

1. Carlos Rodon LHP

2. James Shields RHP

3. Lucas Giolito RHP

4. Reynaldo Lopez RHP

5. Veteran Free Agent

Bullpen:

Nate Jones RHP

Zach Putnam RHP

Free Agent

Free Agent

Aaron Bummer LHP

2 more spots

I think you can probably pencil Danish, Goldberg and Minaya into the pen. I suppose they could start in AAA, but each will definitely get their share of time in the pen next year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)

1. Leury Garcia CF

2. Yoan Moncada 2B

3. Jose Abreu 1B

4. Casey Gillaspie DH

5. Matt Davidson 3B

6. Nick Delmonico LF

7. Ryan Cordell RF

8. Kevan Smith C

9. Tim Anderson SS

I could live with that lineup...

ya know...if for some reason MiGo doesn't go anywhere...or get any substantial offers in the offseason...I'd have no problem bringing him back on another 1-2 year deal similar to this years.

Edited by Wanne

Don't forget Tito Polo he could see some time next year as well if he can handle AAA. The bullpen should be complete trash again. The rotation should be improving and getting younger though.

My pick for a surprise impact performer next year is either Polo or Cordell. And Kopech on the pitching side (but that's not really going out on a limb).

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Don't forget Tito Polo he could see some time next year as well if he can handle AAA. The bullpen should be complete trash again. The rotation should be improving and getting younger though.

My pick for a surprise impact performer next year is either Polo or Cordell. And Kopech on the pitching side (but that's not really going out on a limb).

It's worth thinking about what the bullpen is going to look like next year - that does seem to be the one place where the Sox could bring in a lot of FA help. Most of the guys they have now are not MLB-caliber pitchers. Probably more potential variance there than in the lineup.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)

1. Leury Garcia CF

2. Yoan Moncada 2B

3. Jose Abreu 1B

4. Casey Gillaspie DH

5. Matt Davidson 3B

6. Nick Delmonico LF

7. Ryan Cordell RF

8. Kevan Smith C

9. Tim Anderson SS

This is almost exactly what I would propose (seems like we both think Avi will be traded). I'd just make Delmonico the DH, have Gillaspie start in AAA and then put Willy or Rymer in the LF/RF spot (with Cordell being versatile enough to move).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
I just don't see Hahn bringing in a left handed hitter to platoon with another left handed hitter no matter how infatuated KW is with the hometown (and fathom's) boy.

Can't hurt to get more veteran leadership to go with Abreu.

1B-Jose

2B-Moncada

SS-Anderson

3B-Davidson

LF-L.Garcia

CF-Engel

RF-A.Garcia

C-Navarez

DH-Delmonico

SP: Rodon, Gonzales, Shields, Lopez, Giolito

BULLPEN: Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Curly Joe (In other words stiffs, re-tread's and has been's)

Total wins: Between 66 and 70 if, IF they can stay relatively healthy which they didn't come close to doing this year.

What about our rotation? If Rodon, Lopez and Kopech are ready, playing devil's advocate, why can't we build a real pitching staff around those guys and contend? The basis of this thread is we're supposed to hit next year.

I will never understand why the rebuild requires us to win 65 games two years in a row minimum when a lot of these guys are "ready." Sign two veteran pitchers for 10 mill a year apiece like the Royals always do, get a few bullpen guys and uh, win?? Is it that hard to sniff .500 in this crap division? I know, it is.

If this post angers you, please ignore it. Not meant to argue. I "get it." We're in a rebuild. We're supposed to lose. I'm just playing along with the first post that says we should hit next year.

Well, 3 key pieces of the future are leading our rotation ... but they have to suck first before getting good? Modern baseball really fatigues me. If I'm running a team I never do not consider the possibility of winning.

Edited by greg775

DH - Gillaspie#

C - Smith

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson

LF - Delmonico*

CF - Engel

RF - Garcia#

C - Narvaez*

UT - Sanchez#

UT - Peter*

OF - Garcia or Cordell or Tilson

SP - Rodon*

SP - Lopez

SP - Giolito

SP - FA (Chatwood or Santiago* or Tillman)

SP - Shields

CL - Jones

SU - FA signing

SU - Goldberg

MR - Bummer*

MR - Rule V Pick up

LO - Clark*

LR - Danish