PK staying as Captain

southsider2k5

File this in the category of "duh".

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...mp;feedID=10338

Konerko will remain captain under Ventura

February 4, 2012, 8:56 pm

Paul Konerko's on-field production is important, but his role as captain can't be overlooked in 2012. (US PRESSWIRE)

JEREMY LYNN

csnchicago.png

It's no secret that the White Sox will need Paul Konerko to have another All-Star caliber season -- with at least 30 home runs and 100 RBIs -- if they hope to make a run at the American League Central Division championship.

But they'll need his character and leadership skills even more. With the departure of Mark Buehrle, it leaves Konerko and catcher A.J. Pierzynski as the only players remaining from the 2005 World Series championship team.

"I'm not going to take (the title) away from him, I'll tell you that," manager Robin Ventura told the Chicago Tribune's Dave van Dyck. "He deserves that, not only as a player but within the clubhouse as a guy who goes about it the right way. It's huge to have a guy like that. Most of the stuff is dealt with by guys in the clubhouse anyway."

With a number of young players on the roster including likely starters Brent Morel, Dayan Viciedo and Alejandro De Aza, Konerko's attitude and professionalism might never be more important.

Konerko's continued production at the plate and captain's skills over the remaining two years of his contract could be a huge factor in Ventura's early success.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I'll say it - If Konerko's "skills" as a captain are what will make or break Robin as manager, he's in deep s***.

So you know how he is in the clubhouse and with young players? Please give us all the real scoop. It must be sarcasm his teammates use when they call him King.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Somebody like AJ or Buehrle I could TOTALLY see as a "leader," unless I'm completely crazy. Am I?

No, you're not crazy. Sox haven't had a real "leader" since Carl, but AJ and Buehrle were probably the closest they've had to a "leader" since. Paulie is a good role model however, but I don't think he ever really wanted the role or title of "Captain" anyway.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
No, you're not crazy. Sox haven't had a real "leader" since Carl, but AJ and Buehrle were probably the closest they've had to a "leader" since. Paulie is a good role model however, but I don't think he ever really wanted the role or title of "Captain" anyway.

Carl Everett? The guy who gets suspended for being an asshole? The guy who gets arrested for threatening to kill his wife? He's a leader? Great leaders aren't traded 6 times. Just because Konerko isn't an in your face, rah, rah kind of guy doesn't make him a poor leader. Some people don't need to say a lot to be effective. Some people talk and scream all day without really saying a thing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
Nothing against Paulie because he's a rock and the elder statesman but I never understood how he "leads." He never seems to talk.

Somebody like AJ or Buehrle I could TOTALLY see as a "leader," unless I'm completely crazy. Am I?

You mean like Jeter? He's always up in other players faces, always making bold statements in the press, always speaking out. Or maybe he leads by example, by how he goes about his business and preparation with results that speak for themselves. Or how he is in the clutch (yes, I did use that word sabertards). It's easy to take shots at Paulie -- his lack of speed, his limited range at first. But for the life of me I don't understand how Sox fans, who watch him day after day, would want to take a shot at him. Or his "skills." (and I'm not suggesting you are taking a shot at him, LV)

So you know how he is in the clubhouse and with young players? Please give us all the real scoop. It must be sarcasm his teammates use when they call him King.

No scoop, and no.... obviously am not and never have been present in the clubhouse. But I have been to the games and an avid follower of the team and am plenty qualified to discuss the product/result on the field.

For a guy who has arguably been the best and most consistent hitter over the last 5 seasons (at least), I've not seen his "skills" translate to too many younger guys (or even acquired established guys). And I sure can't point to him as any type of inspirational type guy either, who helps keeps his teammates upbeat, focused, and performing as consistently "as him" despite the circus of mgmt and coaching and nepotistic douchebaggery surrounding them.... While Konerko has performed well, there's no arguing that the team has been pretty damn flat for 5 seasons.

I mean - If Konerko is the Tony Robbins of the White Sox, then I'm their Ronnie Woo Woo.

You mean like Jeter? He's always up in other players faces, always making bold statements in the press, always speaking out. Or maybe he leads by example, by how he goes about his business and preparation with results that speak for themselves. Or how he is in the clutch (yes, I did use that word sabertards). It's easy to take shots at Paulie -- his lack of speed, his limited range at first. But for the life of me I don't understand how Sox fans, who watch him day after day, would want to take a shot at him. Or his "skills." (and I'm not suggesting you are taking a shot at him, LV)

Or maybe Jeter has played for the Yankees his entire career - an organization with the $ to keep their rosters packed with veterans along with their coaching, staffing, and management positions; all holding themselves to a level of professionalism that is light years beyond the Sox to the degree that it's a steadfast tradition ACTIVELY DEMANDED by owernship over decades.

But yeah, Konerko is slow so like....that's why Gordon Beckham spells "f**" in the dirt during games and can't hit his weight.

Edited by Andrew

A quiet leader that does his job in a professional manner, does it well and nevers stirs any crap. Yeah, I can see where that would be pretty good qualifications as a leader. I can think of another fairly recent Sox player who met the same qualifications. Robin Ventura.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
No scoop, and no.... obviously am not and never have been present in the clubhouse. But I have been to the games and an avid follower of the team and am plenty qualified to discuss the product/result on the field.

For a guy who has arguably been the best and most consistent hitter over the last 5 seasons (at least), I've not seen his "skills" translate to too many younger guys (or even acquired established guys). And I sure can't point to him as any type of inspirational type guy either, who helps keeps his teammates upbeat, focused, and performing as consistently "as him" despite the circus of mgmt and coaching and nepotistic douchebaggery surrounding them.... While Konerko has performed well, there's no arguing that the team has been pretty damn flat for 5 seasons.

I mean - If Konerko is the Tony Robbins of the White Sox, then I'm their Ronnie Woo Woo.

Or maybe Jeter has played for the Yankees his entire career - an organization with the $ to keep their rosters packed with veterans along with their coaching, staffing, and management positions; all holding themselves to a level of professionalism that is light years beyond the Sox to the degree that it's a steadfast tradition ACTIVELY DEMANDED by owernship over decades.

But yeah, Konerko is slow so like....that's why Gordon Beckham spells "f**" in the dirt during games and can't hit his weight.

Why is it your opinion Carl Everett was Tony Robbins in 2005? Wasn't Konerko on the team then? Wasn't he MVP of the ALCS? Couldn't he have been MVP of the WS? Why didn't Carl ever win any more WS rings? And now its on Konerko if players can't play in the big leagues?

I will admit that part of me wonders if Konerko is too aloof to provide guidance on top of leadership-by-example, but I will also admit that that part of me has no evidence to either support or refute its position. The fact is, we have no idea what happens in the clubhouse, where he very well may be the type of leader to take folks aside and set them straight or offer advice. At the same time, any public comments to the press by players regarding Paulie's leadership are destined to fall in line with his status as Captain. Even the players likely to stray from the party line a little bit are not dumb enough to question Paulie's leadership in a public forum.

Even if he is a weak leader, there's no reason to assume younger players' failures have anything to do with him. There have been a plethora of clubhouse presences that all combine to form the Sox environment. It's silly to place any/all blame on one player. Besides, maybe our young players are just bad. Leaders are not supposed to develop talent, that's why we have a bajillion positions in the minor leagues.

Finally, Paulie is my current favorite Sox now that Buehrle is gone, so I give him a pass on any/all weaknesses he may have.

EDIT: Unless McFly somehow makes it so his Granny didn't happen. McFly!!!

Edited by ScottyDo

Why is it your opinion Carl Everett was Tony Robbins in 2005? Wasn't Konerko on the team then? Wasn't he MVP of the ALCS? Couldn't he have been MVP of the WS? Why didn't Carl ever win any more WS rings? And now its on Konerko if players can't play in the big leagues?

What?