Yoenis Cespedes traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we have Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo to trade them.

Boston's 100% in win now mode again. They need pitching, and that's exactly what we don't have. There's no scenario where Q for Cespedes makes sense (even with an extension), and there's nobody on our roster other than Sale (or Rodon, who can't be dealt yet) who's attractive enough to be the centerpiece of a trade, either.

Forget Cespedes....the guy can't hit. If we are trading for a Boston OF I would want Victorino. Also seems to be an odd man out, and also is a FA at the end of the year. Switch hitter who is a good corner OF'er and gets on base at a decent clip. This is all provided he can even pass a physical at this point though...not sure what his health situation is like at the moment.

he wouldn't be that hard to get (Boston made a terrible trade to get him).

But he's a low OBP player with terrible defense. His OPS is maybe 30 points greater than Viciedo, who is reviled.

Not a fit. and why the love (other than he plays for another team).

Sox need athleticism and defense as well as the ability to hit.

And he's a rent.

Edited by GreenSox

Can we actually just turn this into the Boston Redsox trade thread? I'm not sure exactly what they would want from us but they have a ton of talent with out a spot right now...They have Betts, Bradley Jr, Castillo, Cespedes, Nava, Craig, and Victorino all competing for 1 or maybe 2 spots. Like I said, not sure what we would have to offer them, but they sure do seem like a nice trade partner.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
Can we actually just turn this into the Boston Redsox trade thread? I'm not sure exactly what they would want from us but they have a ton of talent with out a spot right now...They have Betts, Bradley Jr, Castillo, Cespedes, Nava, Craig, and Victorino all competing for 1 or maybe 2 spots. Like I said, not sure what we would have to offer them, but they sure do seem like a nice trade partner.

Castillo and Ramirez have to start in CF and LF.

The big problem is that Bradley, Jr., Craig and Victorino are all going to be sold for pennies on the dollar. Not a good way to do business.

In all likelihood, they keep Betts as insurance and simply for the fact they need some young, cost-effective players. As someone mentioned, Nava's a good LH bench option, but not worth much of anything in a trade after 2014.

I'd be most interested in Middlebrooks on the cheap to solve 3B. Potential delayed with injury and mismanagement but (to me anyway) far more potential and nice power to solve 3B for the long term. Or give up more and try to snag Bogaerts if you can, but Middlebrooks should cost far less and fills a need.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
Sox just don't have the bullets unless they want to send Q over there. They better not trade Q for Cespedes.

What? Cespedes is worth like, one quarter of Quintana. Maybe a third. Part of it's because he;s way overrated, but mostly it's because he has only one year of control, whereas Quintana has like 5 under-market years.

Quintana would get Cespedes and a couple notable prospects from Boston, and I bet they'd LOVE to make that deal.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I'd be most interested in Middlebrooks on the cheap to solve 3B. Potential delayed with injury and mismanagement but (to me anyway) far more potential and nice power to solve 3B for the long term. Or give up more and try to snag Bogaerts if you can, but Middlebrooks should cost far less and fills a need.

I don't think Middlebrooks was mismanaged, I think he's just one of those guys with a big strikeout problem thats difficult to overcome.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)

With all due respect, I could not disagree more. Middlebrooks is terrible. In fact, he was the only prospect in the majors I wanted LESS than Avisail Garcia when we made the Peavy deal.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)

No thank. Middlebrooks was horrible last year and the reason why Boston turned their attention to Panda in the first place. Just my opinion but I'll gladly take Gillaspie over Middlebrooks.

I'm with ya on Boegarts and wouldnt mind Bradley Jr if the price is right. I admit I don't know what they are worth or what the Sox would be willing to give up.

Oh, one more thing, f*** Cespedes.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)

Middlebrooks had a .522 OPS last year; I'm not sure what that solves.

Boston is neck and neck with the Cubs re hyping their prospects. Even Bogaerts, whose greatness they are still raving about, had a .660 OPS in a full season of play. .660. That's Brian Anderson territory.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Middlebrooks had a .522 OPS last year; I'm not sure what that solves.

Boston is neck and neck with the Cubs re hyping their prospects. Even Bogaerts, whose greatness they are still raving about, had a .660 OPS in a full season of play. .660. That's Brian Anderson territory.

I think that has to do more with ESPN bias of NYY/BOS than anything else, but I concur.

Edited by Knuckles

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
What? Cespedes is worth like, one quarter of Quintana. Maybe a third. Part of it's because he;s way overrated, but mostly it's because he has only one year of control, whereas Quintana has like 5 under-market years.

Quintana would get Cespedes and a couple notable prospects from Boston, and I bet they'd LOVE to make that deal.

Please. it IS because he has nowhere near the value of q even at identical contracts. His standard OBP is like .310 and his defense is poor. He's a flawed player.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
Seems to be the next man out of Boston.

You'd have to trade for him, then sign him. He's Cuban, so there's that.

I could see some sort of deal with the Tigers and Red Sox. I don't think they have anyone in RF coming up. I could see a Porcello for Cespedes and a prospect swap

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Steer clear of twitter for a little while. Seems like every Boston fan in sight is talking about a Bogaerts and Cespedes for Sale and trying to pass it off as reasonable.

I was thinking the same thing. Geezus... Boston Red Cub fans are really delusional.

Steer clear of twitter for a little while. Seems like every Boston fan in sight is talking about a Bogaerts and Cespedes for Sale and trying to pass it off as reasonable.

If Bogaerts and Cespedes are the throw-ins to go along with Pedroia and Owens, then sure, that's plenty reasonable.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)

Holy s***, they make it sound like it's a sure thing. Wow.