Red Sox sign Justin Masterson

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
That seems excessive for a career below average pitcher, but gotta take chances somewhere

What doesn't in this marketplace?

Plus he's going to be motivated on a short-term deal, he fits the KW groundball profile and he already knows the Central.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
That seems excessive for a career below average pitcher, but gotta take chances somewhere

He had 2 really solid years, a handful of average years, and 1 really bad year. The dip in velocity certainly is concerning though. 3 MPH is a big drop off which means he either is hurt, or he changed his mechanics and lost speed, and maybe it's something he can change back to. It would be much easier to hate him if he had been losing 0.5-1.0 MPH each season for the past few years. The sudden big drop is confusing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
I'd much rather have McCarthy.

I'm guessing McCarthy ends up getting a deal around 3/$39M, while Masterston gets something like 2/$20M.

At those prices, I'll take Masterson in a heartbeat due to durability, age, and being a better fit for our ballpark.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 12:26 AM)
He had 2 really solid years, a handful of average years, and 1 really bad year. The dip in velocity certainly is concerning though. 3 MPH is a big drop off which means he either is hurt, or he changed his mechanics and lost speed, and maybe it's something he can change back to. It would be much easier to hate him if he had been losing 0.5-1.0 MPH each season for the past few years. The sudden big drop is confusing.

It was a mechanics caused by injury thing: From Paul Hoyne , Northeast Ohio Media Group.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In September of 2013, with the Indians driving toward a wild-card appearance, Masterson strained his left oblique muscle. He came back at the end of

September and pitched out of the bullpen.

In spring training this year Masterson's ribcage area was still tender, but he never told the Indians. He was the opening day starter, leader of the staff and

trying to get a contract extension.

Randy Rowley, Masterson's agent, said the injury caused a change in his mechanics, which led to soreness in his right knee. Masterson didn't talk to the media

about his sore knee until late June. When he did, he said he'd been dealing with it since his second start of the season.

In September, after the trade to St. Louis, Masterson had an MRI on his right shoulder and it showed an impingement. The Cardinals gave him a cortisone shot.

Rowley said Masterson is finally healthy. If he is and he can pitch back to his 2014 form, the team that signs him will get a 30-year-old proven starter who until

last season had pitched 180 or more innings in four straight seasons.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am usually suspicious of injury stories after the fact because , much like a lawyer, an agent trys to limit the perceived damage and spin it in a way that puts his client in a better light. "It was just a series of bad decisions guys based on how much I care about you all. It had nothing to do with I was headed towards free agency and had turned down a 3/$45M offer and was seeking $17M per year." Naive and team oriented is a lot better than greedy.

All that being said, he might be the ideal candidate for a 1 year contract to re-establish value and re-enter free agency But he will not likely come cheap with so many teams inquiring on him. Expect somewhere around $10M for him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I like him for a couple reasons.1 he's willing to sign a 1 yr. contract an 2. He's got good upside if he really is healthy. Risky..yes but everyone seems to have risks. I think there are a number of teams interested so he may not come to cheap. I'm thinking somewhere around 9, 10 mil. In any case I'd give him a try.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
I like him for a couple reasons.1 he's willing to sign a 1 yr. contract an 2. He's got good upside if he really is healthy. Risky..yes but everyone seems to have risks. I think there are a number of teams interested so he may not come to cheap. I'm thinking somewhere around 9, 10 mil. In any case I'd give him a try.

he has no choice in the matter. he needs to sign for 1 yr to reestablish his value.

expect a bidding war with several teams driving the salary up. as you said teams

may be interested.

pass. too many what if.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 12:55 AM)
Preach it brother.

He is very overrated. I think people are enamored with him because he kills the Sox. If it's a one-year deal for $5 million, maybe it's a risk worth taking since he he basically is 50/50 on whether you will get a good season from him or not. But I think any serious money thrown at him is wasteful.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
It was a mechanics caused by injury thing: From Paul Hoyne , Northeast Ohio Media Broup.

In September of 2013, with the Indians driving toward a wild-card appearance, Masterson strained his left oblique muscle. He came back at the end of

September and pitched out of the bullpen.

In spring training this year Masterson's ribcage area was still tender, but he never told the Indians. He was the opening day starter, leader of the staff and

trying to get a contract extension.

Randy Rowley, Masterson's agent, said the injury caused a change in his mechanics, which led to soreness in his right knee. Masterson didn't talk to the media

about his sore knee until late June. When he did, he said he'd been dealing with it since his second start of the season.

In September, after the trade to St. Louis, Masterson had an MRI on his right shoulder and it showed an impingement. The Cardinals gave him a cortisone shot.

Rowley said Masterson is finally healthy. If he is and he can pitch back to his 2014 form, the team that signs him will get a 30-year-old proven starter who until

last season had pitched 180 or more innings in four straight seasons.

I am usually suspicious of injury stories after the fact because . Much like a lawyer, an agent trys to limit the perceived damage and spin it in a way that puts his client in a better light. "It was just a series of bad decisions guys based on how much I care about you all. It had nothing to do with I was headed towards free agency and had turned down a 3/$45M offer and was seeking $17M per year." Naive and team oriented is a lot better than greedy.

All that being said, he might be the ideal candidate for a 1 year contract to re-establish value and re-enter free agency But he will not likely come cheap with so many teams inquiring on him. Expect somewhere around $10M for him.

This just bolsters why I'm not interested. Better options are available. Now if Masterson was willing to work out of the pen for a reasonable price I could see it but I'd guess some team will take a chance on him as a starter.

Thanks for posting this Cali.