Congrats to Barry Larkin, Hall of Fame 2012

LittleHurt05

HOF announcement at 2:00 Central time today. Sounds like Barry Larkin will probably be elected, not sure about anyone else.

I'm still surprised that Tim Raines is having so much difficulty getting in.

Also, Bagwell got 41.7% of the vote last year. I think his numbers are good enough, but he is a good example of a guy from the steroid era who was never connected or mentioned with them, but his size makes you wonder.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
HOF announcement at 2:00 Central time today. Sounds like Barry Larkin will probably be elected, not sure about anyone else.

Also, Bagwell got 41.7% of the vote last year. I think his numbers are good enough, but he is a good example of a guy from the steroid era who was never connected or mentioned with them, but his size makes you wonder.

Not sure if you read Jayson Stark's column about who he voted for...but it's a good read...especially about Bagwell and Edgar Martinez.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)

There is a blogger out there who made a spreadsheet of all who made their votes public to this point. Larkin is at about 90% of those (108 reported so far). No one else is at 75%, or even that close.

Bagwell, Raines, and Morris are all in the high 50's to low 60's percent range.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Not sure if you read Jayson Stark's column about who he voted for...but it's a good read...especially about Bagwell and Edgar Martinez.

Good read, thanks. I actually agree with his stance on the steroid players. The PEDs were so prevalent in that era, how do you pick & choose which players should get in & which shouldn't. It's a good point that likely one day a player who was elected "clean" will end up coming out or be busted for having been a cheater.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
There is a blogger out there who made a spreadsheet of all who made their votes public to this point. Larkin is at about 90% of those (108 reported so far). No one else is at 75%, or even that close.

Bagwell, Raines, and Morris are all in the high 50's to low 60's percent range.

Larkin is the only sure thing out of those guys anyway, so I won't be upset if he's the only one elected. I'd like Morris and Raines to get in eventually, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
BNightengale Bob Nightengale

Jack Morris climbs to 66% with 2 years left on ballot. #MLB #Twins

Considering the names coming up in 2013 & 2014, he could be in trouble.

2013 - Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, Sosa, Biggio, Royce Clayton

2014 - Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Kent, Mussina

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

He could get a lot of votes in 2013 as protests towards the juicer crowd.

I can't believe more than half of the voters still think Raines isn't a HOF. It took me a while to come around on him too, but he belongs.

Jack Morris...I don't need stats on him. He belongs. Multiple 20-win seasons, 175 complete games, 3 championships with three different teams, including winning Game 7 of the 91 series. Now with the beefy ballots coming on the next couple years, it will be interesting to see if he goes over the hump next year.

Edited by flavum

There a cap on how many can go in a year? 5?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

Strange that I can openly admit that Schilling is, by far, the most deserving of the 2013 class. I hate him. And why would anyone even mention Royce Clayton?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
I can't believe more than half of the voters still think Raines isn't a HOF. It took me a while to come around on him too, but he belongs.

Jack Morris...I don't need stats on him. He belongs. Multiple 20-win seasons, 125 complete games, 3 championships with three different teams, including winning Game 7 of the 91 series. Now with the beefy ballots coming on the next couple years, it will be interesting to see if he goes over the hump next year.

4 championships.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
There a cap on how many can go in a year? 5?

Strange that I can openly admit that Schilling is, by far, the most deserving of the 2013 class. I hate him. And why would anyone even mention Royce Clayton?

4 championships.

10 can go in. It has never come close.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

Outstanding defense. Golden Globe quality acting. Why wouldn't you mention him?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
I feel like Piazza is the most deserving of the 2013 class, am I wrong?

He may well be the only one of that group in 2013. Sosa, Bonds, Clemens won't because of the steroid stuff. Schilling and Biggio don't seem like first ballot material to me.