Covey to DL, Minaya recalled

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:54 PM)
I'm definitely OK with the offseason trades, but imagine where this team would be with Sale pitching every 5 days instead of Covey who basically gives up a run an inning.

Doesn't take much imagining to know the Sox still wouldn't be a playoff team

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm definitely OK with the offseason trades, but imagine where this team would be with Sale pitching every 5 days instead of Covey who basically gives up a run an inning.

The Sox are 3-5 in Covey starts and only scored 1 run in two of those losses. I think its fair to say they would have 2 or 3 more wins with Sale. They would be 23-21 and 2 games back, instead of 5. Still a worse record than last year.

I realize that Rodon and Shields have been hurt and somebody has to start. Still, I can't remember a starting pitcher in recent White Sox history as bad as Covey. We're entering June and he has a ERA over 8.0. This simply can't continue, He has to be removed from the starting rotation.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Doesn't take much imagining to know the Sox still wouldn't be a playoff team

It could have been a "possible" playoff team except for the continued piss poor defense.

You've got an outfield of Melky, Eaton and Avi. Only Melky blows and sometimes he is serviceable.

You've got Frazier, Anderson, Saladino and Jose Abreu. True, Frazier and Saladino suck but "on paper" a career year from Frazier and last year's hitting from Saladino would have been potentially good.

We always said we'd need to acquire a catcher via free agency or trade in a contending scenario. Also DH would have needed an upgrade.

Then you got Sale and Q, best 1-2 punch in the division with arguably a lock down closer. You have Rodon and Holland would have been an OK No. 5 with everybody saying one of our minor league phenoms will probably be called up in early June.

But to win this division? Certainly the Sox could have contended with Sale and Eaton and some tinkering IF some things fell into place. The team would have had to make the usual 1-3 offseason moves and hope they were significant enough to help the team, though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
It could have been a "possible" playoff team except for the continued piss poor defense.

You've got an outfield of Melky, Eaton and Avi. Only Melky blows and sometimes he is serviceable.

You've got Frazier, Anderson, Saladino and Jose Abreu. True, Frazier and Saladino suck but "on paper" a career year from Frazier and last year's hitting from Saladino would have been potentially good.

We always said we'd need to acquire a catcher via free agency or trade in a contending scenario. Also DH would have needed an upgrade.

Then you got Sale and Q, best 1-2 punch in the division with arguably a lock down closer. You have Rodon and Holland would have been an OK No. 5 with everybody saying one of our minor league phenoms will probably be called up in early June.

But to win this division? Certainly the Sox could have contended with Sale and Eaton and some tinkering IF some things fell into place. The team would have had to make the usual 1-3 offseason moves and hope they were significant enough to help the team, though.

I will say now that there would be no Holland if they didn't trade Sale. Also, you were saying a month or two ago that they should have gotten another OF. That means Avi wouldn't be on this team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
IIRC, DL stints don't count as roster time towards Rule 5 status.

Looked it up.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/ask-...4lRTC8YRGgT8.97

For someone unfamiliar with the Rule 5 draft in general, selected players must be kept on the major league roster for the full following season or they have to be offered back to their original team. In the simplest version, a player is picked, he is kept on the active roster throughout the next season and then his contract becomes the property of the new team. The following year that player’s contract can be assigned like any other on the 40-man roster, meaning he can be sent to the minors if options remain.

Disabled list stints can add complications to Rule 5 eligibility rules, which is why MLB has the 90-day requirement. A player remains bound to the Rule 5 restrictions until he’s fulfilled that 90-day active roster requirement, whether it requires one year, two years or more. You can’t just pick a player and stash him on the disabled list.

Who f***ing cares if this guy goes back to wherever the hell he came from? There's no "there" there. He's former 1st round pick in the same sense Beckham is a former first round pick at this point. At least Gordo has some initial success, Covey was never even good in the minors of MLB.

Anyways, it's sad to say but I'm excited to probably see Fulmer and/or Lopez within the next couple weeks. Neither has dominated AAA but at least they have the potential of being a 3rd or 4th starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2017 -> 07:22 AM)
I would bet the odds of that are pretty high. It might not be announced until the day his slot is due to start again because of service time considerations.

They could call up Lopez tomorrow as the 26th man, send him back down, and call him back up next Wednesday for good (no 10 day return rule with the 26th man). By next Wednesday, the Sox will have gained the extra year of control. Sunday is the cutoff day, it becomes Monday if he spends Friday on the roster.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
They could call up Lopez tomorrow as the 26th man, send him back down, and call him back up next Wednesday for good (no 10 day return rule with the 26th man). By next Wednesday, the Sox will have gained the extra year of control. Sunday is the cutoff day, it becomes Monday if he spends Friday on the roster.

Who is on schedule to pitch then?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Who f***ing cares if this guy goes back to wherever the hell he came from? There's no "there" there. He's former 1st round pick in the same sense Beckham is a former first round pick at this point. At least Gordo has some initial success, Covey was never even good in the minors of MLB.

Anyways, it's sad to say but I'm excited to probably see Fulmer and/or Lopez within the next couple weeks. Neither has dominated AAA but at least they have the potential of being a 3rd or 4th starter.

Just a guess, but I think Lopez. Fulmer has given up a lot of home runs so far.