President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

Ho boy. Oh boy oh boy.

The people who elected this man came out of the woodwork. He's what we have to work with. At his heart, Trump is center-left. To get elected, he conducted a reality show and spoke to a base of white Americans I had no clue existed in such numbers still.

Perhaps, this won't be the end of everything.

My questions to the board are follows:

• What can be undone?
  • Will the LGBT communicty lose rights already granted?
  • Is it possible that abortion could be made illegal?
  • What the f***?

We, as a nation, have to find a way to work together. Like it or not, there won't be any bottlenecks in our government now. 24 hours ago, it looked like the Republican Party was going to fall apart. Now, they hold all of the power. What does a Trump presidency look like? Is there any hope?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_pol.../white_won.html

More than anything, Trump promises a restoration of white authority. After eight years of a black president—after eight years in which cosmopolitan America asserted its power and its influence, eight years in which women leaned in and blacks declared that their lives mattered—millions of white Americans said enough. They had their fill of this world and wanted the old one back. And although it’s tempting to treat this as a function of some colorblind anti-elitism, that cannot explain the unity of white voters in this election. Trump didn’t just win working-class whites—he won the college-educated and the affluent. He even won young whites. Seventeen months after he announced his candidacy, millions of white Americans flocked to the ballot box to put Trump into the White House. And they did so as a white herrenvolk, racialized and radicalized by Trump.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
ive gotten the feeling in the past that Trump is ok with gay marriage so I would kind of be shocked if that was over turned.

He was OK with it in the past, but who knows if that is one of the positions he punted on as he lurched right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:50 AM)

Of course this is the view of the uber left. Have to make it about race and race only. Why can't it be that people just didn't like a corrupt, dynastic, career politician? I mean that's a HUGE component to this. Not saying race isn't one but at some point with the numbers he pulled from all groups, including an INCREASE from minorities compared to Romney, you gotta look at non race factors.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Right, it's not up to Trump individually but more so about the justices he will appoint.

Right. But I think it's safe to say R v. W isn't going to be reopened. I mean don't you think the right to abortion is here to stay? You seem to lean super left- curious what you think.

I think one of the main things to take out of this election is that the Republican Party finally shed the baggage of having to protect the highly religious right. Sure they can still vote GOP for economic policy or whatever but a vote for a republican is no longer going to be a vote against all gays and abortion.

If you look at it that way, this is a good day for American politics moving forward. The days of the crazy ass policy of the left is certainly less crazy than the crazy stone-aged ideology of the right are ending. It's getting closer to just being about economic policy which is great.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Right. But I think it's safe to say R v. W isn't going to be reopened. I mean don't you think the right to abortion is here to stay?

It was just partially reopened this year when the SCOTUS examined the Texas TRAP law. That law was completely nonsensical and had no purpose other than to curb abortion rights and 3/8 justices were still okay with it. Scalia's replacement would be a fourth. Then you're just expecting that none of Kennedy/RGB/Breyer resign or die in the next 4 years.

I think one of the main things to take out of this election is that the Republican Party finally shed the baggage of having to protect the highly religious right. Sure they can still vote GOP for economic policy or whatever but a vote for a republican is no longer going to be a vote against all gays and abortion.

Donald Trump, serial adulterer, gambling tycoon, and man who probably isn't even a Christian absolutely rocked the Evangelical vote simply by appealing to their desire for anti-gay, anti-abortion SCOTUS picks.

If you look at it that way, this is a good day for American politics moving forward. The days of the crazy ass policy of the left is certainly less crazy than the crazy stone-aged ideology of the right are ending. It's getting closer to just being about economic policy which is great.

Those days aren't ending; that ideology just took control of all 3 branches!

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
It was just partially reopened this year when the SCOTUS examined the Texas TRAP law. That law was completely nonsensical and had no purpose other than to curb abortion rights and 3/8 justices were still okay with it. Scalia's replacement would be a fourth. Then you're just expecting that none of Kennedy/RGB/Breyer resign or die in the next 4 years.

Donald Trump, serial adulterer, gambling tycoon, and man who probably isn't even a Christian absolutely rocked the Evangelical vote simply by appealing to their desire for anti-gay, anti-abortion SCOTUS picks.

Those days aren't ending; that ideology just took control of all 3 branches!

1) Making abortions more difficult and overturning Roe v. Wade are two very different things.

2) One of the most beloved Democrats of the last half century is a serial adulterer.

3) He took a pause at his RNC speech to applaud the audience for applauding about homosexual rights. That's how far the "right" has come on the issue of gay marriage.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Of course this is the view of the uber left. Have to make it about race and race only. Why can't it be that people just didn't like a corrupt, dynastic, career politician? I mean that's a HUGE component to this. Not saying race isn't one but at some point with the numbers he pulled from all groups, including an INCREASE from minorities compared to Romney, you gotta look at non race factors.

Not a terribly inaccurate response.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
1) Making abortions more difficult and overturning Roe v. Wade are two very different things.

2) One of the most beloved Democrats of the last half century is a serial adulterer.

3) He took a pause at his RNC speech to applaud the audience for applauding about homosexual rights. That's how far the "right" has come on the issue of gay marriage.

1) It really isn't that different. The Texas law caused 30/40 of the clinics in the state to close. A similar Alabama law almost knocked down the total number of clinics down to 3. And these were just the "testing the waters" laws. Once they know they can get some restrictions through, they'll pass more until every clinic is regulated to the point where it's impossible to open.

2) Right, but that doesn't relate to what I said. The importance of getting the Religious Right hasn't ended just because Trump personally isn't a member. It's extremely easy to draw that YUGE block of people on gays and abortion alone.

3) Dude, they applauded for gay people not being murdered by terrorists. That's a far cry from supporting gay marriage, opposing horrific "conversion therapy", and opposing anti-gay discrimination.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)

LOL love republicans. Get the government out of regulating everything! Except abortions and gays, let's make sure to regulate the hell out of them. That's cool with us.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
2016 has been the most depressing year I can recall -- so many horrific events. Then the Cubs win the World Series. Then Drumpf wins the Presidential election. Can we please get this year over with? I've had enough with 2016. :angry:

Cubs wining it all was the 1st sign of the apocalypse.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
1) It really isn't that different. The Texas law caused 30/40 of the clinics in the state to close. A similar Alabama law almost knocked down the total number of clinics down to 3. And these were just the "testing the waters" laws. Once they know they can get some restrictions through, they'll pass more until every clinic is regulated to the point where it's impossible to open.

2) Right, but that doesn't relate to what I said. The importance of getting the Religious Right hasn't ended just because Trump personally isn't a member. It's extremely easy to draw that YUGE block of people on gays and abortion alone.

3) Dude, they applauded for gay people not being murdered by terrorists. That's a far cry from supporting gay marriage, opposing horrific "conversion therapy", and opposing anti-gay discrimination.

This is a great post.