Can Illinois Survive?

greg775

I guess everyone can be considered a troll including the Tribune. The Trib suggests Illinois should be dissolved into neighboring states to solve its crisis.

I would love a serious discussion of what it's like to live in Illinois/Chicago now. Are taxes ridiculous? Do you feel like the taxes are going to drive people out of Chicago and pretty much turn it into Detroit?

What are the solutions?

I can't imagine Illinois being worse than Kansas but it's possible I guess.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columni...620-column.html

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a morning devotion to the state I head to the socialized mines, take my cent wages and sprint home avoiding machetes and gunfire. I sleep near the door to promptly respond to the tax man who takes the rest from me, but provides me with everything I need.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
I thought that was in the Tribune?

Kass is being extremely sarcastic in this entire article. Kass is an extremely sarcastic and sometimes satirical writer

There's some Chicago pride going on here with nobody willing to discuss the demise of Chicago and Illinois. I ask a simple question if the rising taxes are making u all consider leaving ASAP and I get no responses.

Hey I admit Kansas is the worst state in the union. I'm just trying to get educated on my home state and its woes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
There's some Chicago pride going on here with nobody willing to discuss the demise of Chicago and Illinois. I ask a simple question if the rising taxes are making u all consider leaving ASAP and I get no responses.

Hey I admit Kansas is the worst state in the union. I'm just trying to get educated on my home state and its woes.

I can't because of my company, but yes, there are plenty of people that are ready to get out of Chicago and Illinois because the taxes suck. And the government and leaders suck. I've had multiple friends move away with zero intention of coming back. The only thing keeping people around is Chicago being the best summer city in the world.

My mistake, although that article listed it as a top reason, not stating it as the number one reason.

That being said, it shouldn't be that easy for me to convince someone with no evidence, which is sort of a problem with things these days. :P It was just a flippant answer.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
That's not true. Cook County property taxes are ridiculous and in a shocking turn of events they are on the rise again. Sales tax were at least recently the highest in the country. They might still be.

In fact, Cook County lost more residents than any county in the country in 2016. Chicago Tribune listed the number one reason as taxes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0322-story.html

I posted it somewhere in this forum somewhere but I am thinking hard about it and if I did not have an entrenched family I would leave in a heartbeat.

Taxes are the lightening rod of a myriad of issues among the city, county and state...one worse than the other.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
I posted it somewhere in this forum somewhere but I am thinking hard about it and if I did not have an entrenched family I would leave in a heartbeat.

Taxes are the lightening rod of a myriad of issues among the city, county and state...one worse than the other.

I never thought Chicago would fail as a city. Winters are cruel of course, but aside from that, Chicago had everything.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
I never thought Chicago would fail as a city. Winters are cruel of course, but aside from that, Chicago had everything.

Chicago will be fine. Access to Lake Michigan water will become increasingly important as the rest of the country dries out/up.

Illinois Senate Republican leader Radogno steps down

State Sen. Christine Radogno, the first female legislative leader in Illinois history, said Thursday that she will resign from office effective Saturday.

The resignation of the top Illinois Senate Republican comes a couple months after she and Democratic Senate President John Cullerton tried to negotiate an end to the record budget impasse. Those talks fell apart, and Democrats blamed Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, who had been shut out of the talks.

"I believe it's time for a new Senate Republican leader. I have done everything I can do to resolve the state's budget crisis. I will continue to do so for the coming days," Radogno said in a statement. "But if the solution will not come on my watch, I hope and pray that the governor, other legislative leaders, Democrats and Republicans in the Senate and House can find a path to solve the state's problems.

I wonder what the real impasse on the budget here is. Madigan does suck, but it's not like he and Cullerton have had a problem working with Republican governors in the past. Behind-the-scenes talk from Radogno's camp seems to indicate a lot of dissatisfaction with Rauner.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)

If Chicago has failed as a city then Bill Self has failed as a NCAA basketball coach. It has its struggles, people are walking away, but it's still among the best around.

‘Everything’s in Danger’: Illinois Approaches 3rd Year Without Budget

CHICAGO — Road construction and bridge repairs may come to a halt.

At least one agency has threatened to downgrade Illinois’s credit rating to junk, a crippling borrowing position no state has ever seen.

And in perhaps the most visible and immediate sign of the pressure on Illinois leaders to solve their budget standoff at long last, the multistate lotteries — Mega Millions and Powerball — are to be suspended.

With hours left before Illinois begins an unprecedented third year without a full budget, warring leaders were still trying to strike a deal in a political and fiscal crisis that has engulfed the state since 2015.

After two years without a budget, many people who depend on state services — public university students, drug addicts, troubled teenagers, the elderly — have already felt the repercussions.

But perhaps the most peculiar part of this endless budget standoff has been the opposite: Life has gone on uninterrupted for many residents. Because of court orders and other stopgap measures, state workers were paid. Schools opened. Prisons functioned. Roads were built. After a while, some people seemed to grow inured to the risks and consequences of a budget deadlock.

“This impasse has been very cleverly designed to minimize the immediate obvious impact on middle-class families that don’t have a need for state-funded social services,” said Andrea Durbin, the chief executive of the Illinois Collaboration on Youth, an association for providers of youth and family services.

“The people who get impacted are the people who are sick, who need the support from the state to be safe and healthy and get back on their feet and become self-sufficient, or to live their final days in dignity,” Ms. Durbin said.

If a deal is not reached, officials and advocates here say, the crisis will soon be felt by all. Susana A. Mendoza, the state comptroller, says the unpaid bills top $15 billion and has warned leaders that she foresees “unmanageable financial strains” starting in July.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
If Chicago has failed as a city then Bill Self has failed as a NCAA basketball coach. It has its struggles, people are walking away, but it's still among the best around.

Chicago might present a great cover, but the fiscal situation is about as bad as there is in the country, outside of maybe a place like Detroit which has actually filed bankruptcy. Chicago is taxing everything in sight just to stay afloat, and residents are fleeing like rats. It is really bad right now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
While that's true, Illinoisans can always point east and say "At least we're not Indiana."

They can laugh and say that, and then cut their gigantic tax bill check, meanwhile getting absolutely nothing for it. Illinois is a disaster right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Chicago might present a great cover, but the fiscal situation is about as bad as there is in the country, outside of maybe a place like Detroit which has actually filed bankruptcy. Chicago is taxing everything in sight just to stay afloat, and residents are fleeing like rats. It is really bad right now.

Property tax in chicago is pretty low. People are fleeing because of the school system, the ease of public transportation into the city and MUCH cheaper rent. Cities with main rail lines like western springs, Elmhurst etc have extremely high taxes but people are moving and building in droves because the school systems are awesome.

Characterizing it as "really bad" is overreaction. Residential construction is way up and gentrification is increasing (which is forcing many people out). If improving the quality of housing and neighborhoods is a negative to you, then yes its very bad.