2016 Pet Thread

GGajewski18

I couldn't find the other pet thread, so I figured I'd make a new one.

I need some help. I have a terrier mix dog (12 pounds)

She was throwing up last night and was fine after that. It was a white foamy substance.

Today, her normal self all the way up until tonight throwing up 4 times. One of the times, was white foamy substance again and the 3 other times was a combination of her food and grass.

She just recently got her rabies shot (about a month ago), so I know that is not it, but the weird part is she is literally licking everything in sight for the last hour/hour and a half. The carpet, her mouth, the patio door, the tile floor. I have no clue what is going on. I'll probably call the vet tomorrow morning, but I'd figure I'd ask any of you if you have dealt with this before.

Whenever I let her out, she's licking the the wet patio, and then goes straight to the grass and starts eating it (I know dogs do that when they don't feel well).

It's just the whole licking thing is freaking me out. Am I over thinking this? Should I be worried?

Before I read that you had gotten her a rabies shot a month ago, my first reaction was an allergic reaction to a shot. My dog had allergic reactions to the rabies and distemper shots twice to the point where we had to take to him the animal hospital. The symptoms were very similar to what you described. So, it could be an allergic reaction to something. Had the dog eaten anything out of the ordinary, or is there anything different in the house?

Safest thing to do would be to take her to the vet.

How old? My dog used to act that as a puppy sometimes. He still tries to eat grass when running at the dog park and he's 6. He throws it up later in the day.

I started mixing in some softer/wet food with his dry food and it seemed to help. I'd definitely take him to the vet jist in case as well.

Mine had been diagnosed with an inflamed stomach at one point and meds helped as well. Good luck.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:20 AM)
Before I read that you had gotten her a rabies shot a month ago, my first reaction was an allergic reaction to a shot. My dog had allergic reactions to the rabies and distemper shots twice to the point where we had to take to him the animal hospital. The symptoms were very similar to what you described. So, it could be an allergic reaction to something. Had the dog eaten anything out of the ordinary, or is there anything different in the house?

Safest thing to do would be to take her to the vet.

She hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary as far as I know of. 2 days ago I was home all day, and she was fine until that night where she threw up once. Yesterday, I was at school all day, so I don't know if she got into anything.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:55 AM)
How old? My dog used to act that as a puppy sometimes. He still tries to eat grass when running at the dog park and he's 6. He throws it up later in the day.

I started mixing in some softer/wet food with his dry food and it seemed to help. I'd definitely take him to the vet jist in case as well.

Mine had been diagnosed with an inflamed stomach at one point and meds helped as well. Good luck.

She's turning 3 in a couple of weeks, I'm gonna call the vet here in a few minutes. Would a small amount of brown rice be a good substitute for her dry food for now?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
rice and ground beef is good if your dog has an upset stomach

This is what the doctor said. She's going on a bland diet for about 3-5 days then transferring back to her old food (she was on new food for about 2-3 weeks).

She was really gassy, dehydrated, and very nauseated. With that, they gave her fluids and anti nausea pills.

To be on the safe side, I am taking a fecal sample for her so she doesn't have any parasites in her intestines.

Thanks for all your guys help! Just the whole little episode freaked me out, and it was the first time that she's had this so I didn't know any of the symptoms.

Thanks again!

The throwing up sounds like something might be stuck in her stomach if nothing was really coming up. But the licking thing I have never seen from a dog I have had/been around. I would just call the vet, tell them what has been going on and they can maybe tell you if it is just something minor or something that should be checked.

• 1 month later...

Anybody's dog ever start limping every once in awhile? Mine has the past few months. Limps but then goes away for few weeks. Everytime I examine and try and see what hurts, he never reacts so anything so can't pin point.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)
Anybody's dog ever start limping every once in awhile? Mine has the past few months. Limps but then goes away for few weeks. Everytime I examine and try and see what hurts, he never reacts so anything so can't pin point.

have his joints and bones checked out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)

How old is he? What kind of dog?

May help to get him some glucosamine.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 27, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Beagle mix about to turn 6.

We've got an english lab (almost 6) that was exhibiting the same type of behavior. Brought him to the vet for X-rays and they found a little bit of arthritis in his elbows, but otherwise, he was ok. I put him on some glucosamine a few months ago and that seems to have helped him quite a bit.

Obviously it helps to watch his weight if that is an issue too.

• 1 month later...

So my dog has been acting weird. Once in awhile he starts panting really hard and will start climbing all over me. Not just lay on me but climb. I try and get him off and he growls at me.

Not sure if he gets anxiety out of nowhere or what.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.gofundme.com/saving-swiss-chees...ation_receiptv5

Just wanted to post this for everyone here to share. This is for our foster puppy Swiss. He is 6 weeks old and he was a stowaway with his mother when she came to live with us in late August. A few weeks ago we noticed that he was throwing up fairly frequently and after he noticeably began to lose weight, we took him in for tests and found out he has a mega esophagus which was caused by a condition called Vascular Ring Anomaly. Basically there is a blood vessel that is constricting his esophagus and preventing food from reaching his stomach, which in turn causes his esophagus to expand and ends up shooting his food out. The plan was to try and feed him in an upright position to force as much food down as possible but it has not worked as planned and we will have to schedule his surgery a lot earlier than expected to remove this blood vessel.

If you can donate to help, it would be appreciated. If you could share this page so others can see it on Facebook that would be great as well. Thanks

IMG_1407.JPG