Projecting the org depth chart for the minors

NorthSideSox72

Since at this point it isn't likely the club makes more major moves that effect the farm system (signing an FA outfielder doesn't take away or add prospects), we have a good idea who will be on the farm come April.

So, since things have been slow, I took a shot at projecting who would be with each minor league affiliate to open the season. These are just my guesses, and I'm sure some will end up wrong when it comes down to it. But it gives a nice overall view of what to expect from certain clubs and levels.

For any of you other prospect geeks out there... where would you project differently than I did?

Great job as always. While you already addressed it, I really think Antonio Rodriguez will be starting 2016 in Kannapolis. If so, that should one of the most exciting groups of position players Kannapolis has seen in years and the first major sign our Latin American program is finally back up to speed (between him and Cruz).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
Great job as always. While you already addressed it, I really think Antonio Rodriguez will be starting 2016 in Kannapolis. If so, that should one of the most exciting groups of position players Kannapolis has seen in years and the first major sign our Latin American program is finally back up to speed (between him and Cruz).

I agree with you as well about Rodriguez. I also think Velasquez could jump to Kanny as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Well done NorthSideSox. What do you think of Jace Fry's future, is he destined to become a reliever?

Fry is on his 2nd TJS. At this point I'd be shocked if he became a prospect again, of any sort. His career is in jeopardy.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
Not really prospective at his age, maybe a midseason promotion to CHA

You really can't make it about age that simply for Alvarez. He's definitely a prospect for me, probably in the teens in this system. A good performance in AA is huge, as it's the biggest leap for hitters. If he does well there (continues OBP/AVG strengths, and solidifies defense a bit) and hits Charlotte during 2016, then he's on the board for a potential role with the big club in 2017.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Fry is on his 2nd TJS. At this point I'd be shocked if he became a prospect again, of any sort. His career is in jeopardy.

You really can't make it about age that simply for Alvarez. He's definitely a prospect for me, probably in the teens in this system. A good performance in AA is huge, as it's the biggest leap for hitters. If he does well there (continues OBP/AVG strengths, and solidifies defense a bit) and hits Charlotte during 2016, then he's on the board for a potential role with the big club in 2017.

And he'd be what, 26 in 2017? Old, but by no means absurd.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
Since at this point it isn't likely the club makes more major moves that effect the farm system (signing an FA outfielder doesn't take away or add prospects), we have a good idea who will be on the farm come April.

So, since things have been slow, I took a shot at projecting who would be with each minor league affiliate to open the season. These are just my guesses, and I'm sure some will end up wrong when it comes down to it. But it gives a nice overall view of what to expect from certain clubs and levels.

For any of you other prospect geeks out there... where would you project differently than I did?

Long time reader, first time poster. Question for ya, if Micker Adolfo hadn't gotten injured, do you think he would have had a chance at Kannapolis? I just watched some scouting videos from the past few years and he definitely passes the eye test. He's already our #6 prospect and has had this written about him:

"The White Sox have been rebuilding their Latin American program since a bonus-skimming scandal ruined it in 2008, and their biggest move since then came in July 2013. Chicago landed Zapata, MLBPipeline.com's No. 2-ranked international prospect, for $1.6 million. He's still just 18, and scouts inside and outside the organization speculate that he could have been the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 Draft if he were a U.S. high school senior."

Also, can anyone shed some light into the "bonus-skimming scandal"?

I also read Merkin's article and it looks like he might have the 'it' factor. Then again, we thought that with Gordon...

QUOTE (HoosierCPA @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Long time reader, first time poster. Question for ya, if Micker Adolfo hadn't gotten injured, do you think he would have had a chance at Kannapolis? I just watched some scouting videos from the past few years and he definitely passes the eye test. He's already our #6 prospect and has had this written about him:

"The White Sox have been rebuilding their Latin American program since a bonus-skimming scandal ruined it in 2008, and their biggest move since then came in July 2013. Chicago landed Zapata, MLBPipeline.com's No. 2-ranked international prospect, for $1.6 million. He's still just 18, and scouts inside and outside the organization speculate that he could have been the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 Draft if he were a U.S. high school senior."

Also, can anyone shed some light into the "bonus-skimming scandal"?

I also read Merkin's article and it looks like he might have the 'it' factor. Then again, we thought that with Gordon...

Welcome aboard!

I think Adolfo likely stayed in AZL either way. He wasn't lighting the world on fire, and was still just 18 and pretty raw. I also suspect he'll be in Ext ST and rookie ball again this year, though if he tees off he could maybe get a late taste at Kanny.

The scandal they are referring to is the Wilder business. There have been many long articles written about it, and in fact this very website ended up being the outlet that "outed" the federal investigation into Dave Wilder (that's a story in itself). In short, Dave Wilder was KW's main man in LatAm, and it turns out him and some of his guys were doing a lot of bad things. Skimming bonuses over the top of LatAm kids, inflating scouting reports to get more money, falsifying ages, etc. Wilder is now in jail I believe. It absolutely racked the White Sox LatAm operations, to the point where from about 2007 to 2011, the pipeline was virtually dry. That's a killer in the modern game. Things have improved a lot the last few years.