Next Wave, Part 2 - Pitchers who just missed our Top 30

NorthSideSox72

We did the position player version of this a couple days ago. This is the pitching version - a look at a handful of pitchers who missed our Top 30 prospects, but are worth keeping an eye on. These are potential breakout or bounce-back candidates.

Any thoughts on these guys? Anyone else I should have included?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
Marin pitches well statistically, but the Sox release him, re-sign him only to send him to Mexico, bring him back. He does well as a starter, so they move him to the pen and then back again.

It's weird.

Which tells me that the Sox think he's a AAAA player.

The fact that the Sox released him and no other major league team bit should tell you that it isn't just the White Sox who don't have a big opinion of Marin.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
Marin pitches well statistically, but the Sox release him, re-sign him only to send him to Mexico, bring him back. He does well as a starter, so they move him to the pen and then back again.

It's weird.

Which tells me that the Sox think he's a AAAA player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
The fact that the Sox released him and no other major league team bit should tell you that it isn't just the White Sox who don't have a big opinion of Marin.

True at the time of release, but you also need to understand his unusual story after that. He was basically just an org filler guy, got hammered in a couple games for Winston-Salem, so they released him. He went to Indy ball. All of this is nothing unusual. But while playing in the Frontier, he made significant changes to pitches and added a cutter. He was then scouted by MLB clubs, got calls from three or four, and took the Sox offer to come back. On return, he was a very different pitcher - fastball velo up a few ticks, new cutter, revamped change-up, slider. Was successful in AA as a starter. He was ready for AAA but they didn't have a slot, so they "loaned" him to Mexico, then brought him back when a rotation slot opened up. He did well in that role, but ultimately he's probably a reliever - low to mid-90's tailing fastball, a "major league cutter" according to a scout, and a decent change-up. That won't work as a starter, but it might as a reliever.

He's a prospect now, but not a high end one. He could see the majors in 2016, that honestly wouldn't surprise me.

• 4 weeks later...

this is my opinion and i have been sitting on this for a while, but i recently came across something.

Jordan Guerrero - sp, i really, really like this kid, lh-sp. young and i can see or expect to see him increase and improve in his pitches.

i think his fb will grade out very good. and has great improvement on his overall pitches.

Spencer Adams-sp, another yr of growth, experience and learning the position of pitching.

my 2 super picks

i can see adams as good as #3 and guerrero as #4.