U. Urbina

iWiN4PreP

Ozzie visited him in jail.

Theirs links out their, but too much in a rush to get them.

Apparently that will solve our bullpen needs?

Bring urbina in for less money put him with the chemistry of ozzie/coop, and you got yourself bullpen fixed.

thoughts?

No talent is worth that amount of clubhouse overhead. Everyone has a limit to how far they'd be willing to stretch their standards to win - this is beyond my limit (and I'd bet beyond that of some in the Sox organization as well).

It's not as if this is his first problem with the law. I'm sorry but everything I've read leads me to believe the guy is... well... a far cry from an upstanding citizen.

I'll pass.

Perhaps the topic of him playing for the Sox may have come up at his jail visit. Hmm Ozzie plays golf with Vazquez and now he is playing for the White Sox. Urbina talks to Ozzie and there are some spots open in the bullpen. Hmm. KW never seems to make deals that cause holes unless he has a plan to fill the hole. Urbina could be in the works.

I don't know the details of the attempted murder charge. I'd have to know more to make my opinion on Urbina.

Urbina has been charged with a crime in a country that doesn't exactly have the same legal standards as we do here. I wonder, have any of you who are ready to convict Urbina ever been to Venezuela?

Who knows who is in charge of the local police or judges around where Urbina lives, maybe it's the governement, maybe it's a gang, maybe they're just crocked and working for themselves. All of these things are possible, I don't know if any of them are true, but I would take any crime that is alleged down there with a grain of salt.

As for his character, Ozzie has visited twice in the two months since the season ended. If Ozzie thinks enough of him to do this, that's all I need to know, if Ozzie were to say Urbina would be a good addition to our staff, that's good enough for me.

All you people saying Urbina is a cancer, etc.. really don't know, you only know what you've read in some story or heard speculated about on some talk radio show. The media doesn't always get it right, remember A.J. "clubhouse cancer", that was all over the media, widely reported, the guy I saw last year, bore absolutely no resemblence to the "cancer" he was supposed to be, had we just listened to those media reports we wouldn't have taken him.

Now, with all that said, I wouldn't take him if it was for $4mil/yr, I'm saying he would be a great value if we could get him for $1mil or so, also assuming that everything works out with his legal situation and is able to play next year.

Like I said at the begining, this is Venezuela, not the U.S., things could change quickly and before you know it this could all be in his past, it wouldn't be the first time justice has gone a little goofy down there.

dont forget urbina's status in venezuala. he is a god down there.

i have looked into the cases facts. it's basically a he-said she-said (urbina and his friends accused say one thing, and the people who claim they were tortured say something else). my money says that urbina walks.

theres also the chance that hugo chavez, venezuala's president, will simply pardon urbina since urbina is so famous in venezuala. and dont forget how corrupt chavez is (along with the venezualan justice system).

bottom line, urbina is rich enough to buy himself out of this- if he is guilty.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
How about Sidney Ponson?

He might be worth offering a minor league deal to, to see if he has anything left.

I'm easily Sid's biggest fan.. and I say pass. It's not a good time for him now. I don't think he has the desire to pull it back together in time to play again in '06.