Sox @ Cubs 5/18 game thread

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
eh? What did I miss?

Samardzija, who is starting in the series opener Friday, was asked if there was any phrase or saying from White Sox broadcaster Hawk Harrelson that he enjoyed in his youth. He started out praising the White Sox’s old broadcast team, then turned on the club.

“There’s a lot of them, man,” Samardzija said. “I always liked the ones where he didn’t talk for like an inning and a half. Then all of a sudden he’d be like, ‘The 2-2, two outs …’ It’s like, well, where were the other 15 pitches that happened that inning?

“That was when (Darrin Jackson) was (on TV) too. I loved watching those guys. They’re entertaining. I always liked his ‘Hose’ call. That was my favorite. They’re fun to watch, fun to listen to. Like I said, you can always get a good nap in during the Sox game.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/...kes-shot-at-sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
:gosoxretro:

Have I ever said how much I hate Valparaiso, and all things produced from it?

Hey now, I gre up in Valpo.

In all seriousness Valpo is the epitome of boring. I abhor the place.

I shared a few classes with Jeff in high school and he was always extremely nice to me. I hate his hair though.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
NOOOO KID K :(

BREAKING: Kerry Wood to announce retirement today from the #Cubs.

Damn, that means no more 8th inning breakdowns from 4 walks in a row.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
NOOOO KID K :(

BREAKING: Kerry Wood to announce retirement today from the #Cubs.

I know as Sox fans it's pretty much required to make fun of Wood. I've done it for years. But when he was healthy, man, I couldn't help but be jealous. And the 20 K game is still to this day one of the top 3 or 4 pitching performances I've ever witnessed. If you guys remember, the Michael Jordan Bulls had a playoff game that same night. And the #1 sports story that night and the next day was Wood's performance. With that said, LMAO@Wood for game 7 against the Marlins.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Haha, he's right...that is hilarious how Hawk used to get so mad he just wouldn't say anything for a half hour...too funny.

I remember that happening about a week or two ago after a certain Detroit SS hit a 9th inning home run

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
I remember that happening about a week or two ago after a certain Detroit SS hit a 9th inning home run

It used to be far, far worse, especially because he didn't respect his broadcast partners before Stone...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I know as Sox fans it's pretty much required to make fun of Wood. I've done it for years. But when he was healthy, man, I couldn't help but be jealous. And the 20 K game is still to this day one of the top 3 or 4 pitching performances I've ever witnessed. If you guys remember, the Michael Jordan Bulls had a playoff game that same night. And the #1 sports story that night and the next day was Wood's performance. With that said, LMAO@Wood for game 7 against the Marlins.

That one game was dominant, but he was always severely overrated by the Chicago media because of it. Not to turn this into a debate over the value of "wins," but the guy was in the rotation for two playoff teams, and never won more than 14 games.

"Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're facist."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
WTF?

Wood is announcing his retirement after the game and will be available to pitch today.

Sure, gotta get that last standing O.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
WTF?

Wood is announcing his retirement after the game and will be available to pitch today.

rofl ya weird:

***Updated 9:50 a.m.: Reports say Wood wants to pitch one last game with the Cubs. His last MLB appearance could be today, Saturday, or Sunday.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)

Jon Garland with more career White Sox wins than Kerry Wood had Cubs wins...that's awesome!