Red Sox vs White Sox

Kyyle23

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

these games have been closer than necessary the past couple series, and i think i know why. Sorry for slacking and affording the sox a few L's and rough games for the bullpen, it wont happen again

go sox go, go sox go, hey chicago whattya say, the sox are gonna win today

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
these games have been closer than necessary the past couple series, and i think i know why. Sorry for slacking and affording the sox a few L's and rough games for the bullpen, it wont happen again

Mike Moustakas and hitting with RISP.

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)

Wait a minute. What are you talking about? You're sorry for slacking? You're just terrible and an awful addition to this board.

Record high temperatures in Boston expected...would be a shocker if any starter made it past 6.

Great for the bullpen war, because we should have the advantage there, even without Crain.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino: "The one constant off the field is that we have had a veritable All-Star Team on the disabled list. As we begin the second half, we look forward to the return of the 'varsity,' including Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford, Andrew Bailey, and the ever-dirty Dustin Pedroia.

"While this infusion of such talent in late July may make other General Managers green with envy, you can be sure that Ben Cherington and his Baseball Operations Staff will approach the July 31 trading deadline with their tireless work ethic. If someone can further help this club, and if the deal makes sense, we will be aggressive. We want to play October Baseball this year.

"Meanwhile, as you come to Fenway Park throughout this season, we hope you will come early—the secret to fully enjoying a sports venue. Now 'A Living Museum,' Fenway Park probably leads the league in bronze plaques and commemorative displays along the concourses. Enjoy them at your leisure early, well before the escalation of excitement as game time approaches."

GREAT detailed article by Gordon Edes on everything that's going wrong with Bobby Valentine...lots of interesting stuff here

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8...-all-directions

Edited by caulfield12

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer

(AP) -- While Kevin Youkilis became expendable with the Boston Red Sox, he's been plenty productive on the South Side.

Youkilis returns to Boston for the first time since getting traded as the Chicago White Sox - winners of seven straight at Fenway Park - open a four-game set with the Red Sox, who have much to be excited about with Carl Crawford's expected season debut Monday night.

After hitting .233 with four homers and 14 RBIs in 42 games with Boston (45-44) and having his commitment to the game questioned by manager Bobby Valentine, Youkilis - thanks also largely to Will Middlebrooks's emergence - was shipped to AL Central-leading Chicago in exchange for Brent Lillibridge, Zach Stewart and cash June 24.

The three-time All-Star and two-time World Series champion, who spent the first eight-plus seasons of his career with the Red Sox, has been a welcome addition to the White Sox (49-39). He's compiled a .295 average in 16 games with his new team, going deep three times with 15 RBIs.

"All the memories I have and the stories are from (Boston)," Youkilis told MLB's official website. "But the thing for me is, I'm making my own story with this team, new stories and a new beginning. It's going to be fun, and the good thing here is we are in first place and we have to keep going and playing well, and stay in first place."

While Youkilis can expect to receive a warm ovation at Fenway, Red Sox fans should have lots more to cheer for with Crawford's much-anticipated activation from the disabled list.

The four-time All-Star outfielder, who signed a seven-year, $142-million contract prior to what was a disappointing 2011 campaign, has yet to take the field this season. He underwent wrist surgery in January before spraining the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow during spring training.

Crawford went 11 for 36 (.306) with an on-base percentage of .432 during an 11-game rehabilitation assignment.

"I'm not expecting any immediate impact. Just expecting one of nine, a guy who can go out there and be a contributor," Valentine said. "I hope that whatever he needs is provided him from his surroundings. I hope he's healthy. I think if he's healthy, he'll do fine."

Boston returns home after taking two of three at Tampa Bay - including Sunday's 7-3 victory. Daniel Nava and Mike Aviles both homered while Josh Beckett earned his first win in nearly two months.

"We need to get some momentum going in this second half," said Middlebrooks, who went 3 for 4 with two RBIs.

The Red Sox could be hard-pressed to build on Sunday's result with the White Sox coming to town. Chicago has outscored Boston 46-26 during a seven-game winning streak at Fenway.

The White Sox posted their 11th win in 15 games overall Sunday, 2-1 at Kansas City. Chris Sale threw eight strong innings and Adam Dunn belted his major league-leading 28th homer - his third in as many days.

After sending Gavin Floyd - Monday's original scheduled starter - back to Chicago due to soreness in his right forearm and elbow, the White Sox give the ball to Dylan Axelrod (1-2, 6.16 ERA). The right-hander pitched two scoreless innings of relief Friday, earning the win during a 9-8, 14-inning victory at Kansas City.

Axelrod has had a rough go at it over five starts, going 0-2 with a 7.11 ERA. In his last start, the rookie surrendered a career-high seven runs and three homers over three innings of an 11-9 loss to Toronto on July 8.

The Red Sox counter with Aaron Cook (2-2, 4.37), who is 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA in three starts since being removed from the disabled list June 24. The veteran right-hander, though, wasn't very sharp in his final outing before the All-Star break, yielding three runs and nine hits over six innings in a 3-2 loss at Oakland on July 4.

Cook is 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA over two career starts versus Chicago. A.J. Pierzynski has gone 1 for 12 against Cook while Dunn is 4 for 18 with a homer.

http://weei.stats.com/mlb/preview.asp?lg=M...m=2&src=MLB

Poor Axe . Sox just abusing him using him on 3 days rest and now starting after 2 innings of relief Friday. Pitching staff in shambles. Getting 2 in KC was big. Sox record in Fenway damn good last few years but Bosox healthy and Konerko .228 since May 28th and starters dropping like flys and bunches of rooks in the pen, the Sox are a disaster waiting to happen.

Cook has pitched well against the Sox. I know Robin wont change the lineup with PK in it so I'm hoping PK sits the 1st game after the HBP and his suckiness for a month and a half. Rios should be hitting 3rd Dunn 4th.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)
Poor Axe . Sox just abusing him using him on 3 days rest and now starting after 2 innings of relief Friday. Pitching staff in shambles. Getting 2 in KC was big. Sox record in Fenway damn good last few years but Bosox healthy and Konerko .228 since May 28th and starters dropping like flys and bunches of rooks in the pen, the Sox are a disaster waiting to happen.

Cook has pitched well against the Sox. I know Robin wont change the lineup with PK in it so I'm hoping PK sits the 1st game after the HBP and his suckiness for a month and a half. Rios should be hitting 3rd Dunn 4th.

This might be the first (or 2nd, can't remember how Paulie was going April-May-June/2010) time I can ever remember not wanting to see Paulie at the plate and hoping Rios would get a chance to him. He's been a monster for us.

So with Paulie...is it

1) Age finally catching up to him?

2) Lack of rest for the starters?

3) The floating bone chip is in his wrist that's bothering him and he's gamely playing through it?

4) just a typical Paulie slump that he'll pull out of eventually?

It's going to be super super hot, so it will be a war of attrition and 25 man rosters out there. Robin's going to have to change and adapt for these 4 games to survive to fight another day.

Underperformance the real issue for the Red Sox team (that means A-Gone now A-Pop, Beckett, Lester, Bard, Crawford, etc.)

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8...-boston-red-sox

Edited by caulfield12

wayne_brady.jpeg

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
Record high temperatures in Boston expected...would be a shocker if any starter made it past 6.

Great for the bullpen war, because we should have the advantage there, even without Crain.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino: "The one constant off the field is that we have had a veritable All-Star Team on the disabled list. As we begin the second half, we look forward to the return of the 'varsity,' including Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford, Andrew Bailey, and the ever-dirty Dustin Pedroia.

"While this infusion of such talent in late July may make other General Managers green with envy, you can be sure that Ben Cherington and his Baseball Operations Staff will approach the July 31 trading deadline with their tireless work ethic. If someone can further help this club, and if the deal makes sense, we will be aggressive. We want to play October Baseball this year.

"Meanwhile, as you come to Fenway Park throughout this season, we hope you will come early—the secret to fully enjoying a sports venue. Now 'A Living Museum,' Fenway Park probably leads the league in bronze plaques and commemorative displays along the concourses. Enjoy them at your leisure early, well before the escalation of excitement as game time approaches."

GREAT detailed article by Gordon Edes on everything that's going wrong with Bobby Valentine...lots of interesting stuff here

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8...-all-directions

The Red Sox either need to get healthier players or get a new training staff, because this happens to them every year.

23532896.jpg

Just like with the 4 gamer in NY, A split here is perfectly acceptable. Especially with the rotation filled with literal question marks. These non-division games don't matter as much. Hopefully they can backload the two wins or bookend them and take the momentum in Detroit.... Where s*** IS ON.

Just like with the 4 gamer in NY, A split here is perfectly acceptable. Especially with the rotation filled with literal question marks. These non-division games don't matter as much. Hopefully they can backload the two wins or bookend them and take the momentum in Detroit.... Where s*** IS ON.

literal question marks?