White Sox hire two new scouts

southsider2k5

Two new scouts from great organizations to help with the biggest draft pick we've had since Rodon? Sounds like a smart move. Also, with how deep everyone is saying this draft is and seeing all the high school talent available, there will probably be more good selections available in the second round than usual, so this helps even more.

A little background on these guys:

Tim Bittner was drafted by the White Sox in 2001 and traded to LAA for Scott Schoenweis. He was the Astros Northeast Area Scout and signed guys like Tyler White and Derek Fisher. John Tumminia was his signing scout with the Sox so there is some familiarity. I think he's on as the Northeast Cross Checker with Sox.

Juan Alvarez: Former major league pitcher. He was the South Florida Area Scout and Latin America cross checker for the Indians. He was the signing scout for recent draftee and top prospect Tristan Mckenzie.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
A little background on these guys:

Tim Bittner was drafted by the White Sox in 2001 and traded to LAA for Scott Schoenweis. He was the Astros Northeast Area Scout and signed guys like Tyler White and Derek Fisher. John Tumminia was his signing scout with the Sox so there is some familiarity. I think he's on as the Northeast Cross Checker with Sox.

Juan Alvarez: Former major league pitcher. He was the South Florida Area Scout and Latin America cross checker for the Indians. He was the signing scout for recent draftee and top prospect Tristan Mckenzie.

I like all of those names.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Hmm, I hate preller.

Jon Heyman‏Verified account

@JonHeyman

Following

More

padres hired john martin, the scout who signed machado, mccullers, the tucker bros. & was 1 of many let go recently by the Astros

Kinda sucks Sox couldn't reel this guy in too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
The link to the article is dead tho.

Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 2h2 hours ago #WhiteSox named scouts from Astros, Indians to amateur cross checking positions.

These moves make sense from the statements by hostetler that the Sox FO has increased the budget to expand the scouting and minor league aspect of the organization.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
These moves make sense from the statements by hostetler that the Sox FO has increased the budget to expand the scouting and minor league aspect of the organization.

The fact that this needed to be done is crazy to me. For the cost of 1 s***ty reliever you could pay for an entire scouting team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
The fact that this needed to be done is crazy to me. For the cost of 1 s***ty reliever you could pay for an entire scouting team.

I guess it depends on the number they had relative to the other teams. Are these just more than the norm but adding to the quality or do they bring the Sox to what other teams do now.