Personal Top 5 wants for the 2018 Draft

KnightsOnMintSt

I was looking at the BA top 200 for like 20 minutes thinking "draft x then go after y in 2nd round" but reality is until these guys start becoming part of consistent weekly chats with info I have no idea. I don't like that recent writeup on De Sadas.

I would like bat + 2nd round pitcher, but in a draft full of deep HS pitching you could just go big on pitching.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)
I will be the first to admit that I don't know the draft prospects that well at all, but for my two cents.

1. SS

2. 3B

3. LHP

Yup. My exact thoughts when I saw this thread title - High Upside Middle Infielders and Left Handed Starting Pitching.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:45 PM)
Yup. My exact thoughts when I saw this thread title - High Upside Middle Infielders and Left Handed Starting Pitching.

I'm hoping Eierman just goes bonkers this year and becomes a top 5 pick. In the games I saw last year, he was more impressive than Burger by a gigantic amount.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 07:34 PM)
Why is 3b so high? Would be a pretty bad testament to their scouting of Burger last year.

I don't think he's(Burger) going to stick there. I'd like a better defender at the hot corner. Also, I think a couple of the current top 5 are 3B/LHP and they really don't have the depth at those positions. Damn it sucks they traded Tatis Jr.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 07:47 PM)
I don't think he's(Burger) going to stick there. I'd like a better defender at the hot corner. Also, I think a couple of the current top 5 are 3B/LHP and they really don't have the depth at those positions. Damn it sucks they traded Tatis Jr.

Tatis Jr. plays SS not 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)
For now.

The scouting world is divided on whether he sticks there or not. Obviously, his father filled out and played 3B for most of his major league career, mostly with the Expos and Cardinals.

I'd bet quite a bit he stays there. Not alone in that assessment either.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:24 PM)
I'd bet quite a bit he stays there. Not alone in that assessment either.

He has shortstop actions and a future 70 arm, but he’ll almost certainly need to move to third base eventually as his large frame fills in and he slows down. The combination of the arm, athleticism, hands and actions could lead to plus-plus defense at third base, though, and with more mass will come more power.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/636018-f...3bss-san-diego/

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 04:47 PM)
I was looking at the BA top 200 for like 20 minutes thinking "draft x then go after y in 2nd round" but reality is until these guys start becoming part of consistent weekly chats with info I have no idea. I don't like that recent writeup on De Sadas.

I would like bat + 2nd round pitcher, but in a draft full of deep HS pitching you could just go big on pitching.

A lot of recent stuff on De Sedas doesn't sound promising. It really sounds like he has the potential for a really high ceiling, but would be a super risky take. On the other hand, I keep hearing great stuff about Gorman and they are quelling some of my fears about his hitting ability while really praising his power and believing that he cannot just stick at 3b, but become a premium defender there. That would be nice, especially because he and Burger are several years apart in age, so you could potentially have Gorman take over for Burger at 3b if he has to slide to 1b if he slows down in a couple years.

I'm also really high on Liberatore. It seems like the only thing he is lacking is premium velocity, but that has even ticked up recently and if you look at a lot of the top pitching prospects right now, they had good velo gains after they were drafted. This is the kind of guy that if he can get to even 65 FB, he could be one of the top lefties in the minors.

I'm high on Hankins as everyone else is, and as much as I want to go HS with the first pick, Singer does sound solid.

So my top five is probably

1. Hankins

2. Gorman

3. Liberatore

4. De Sedas

5. Singer

One funny scenario I keep playing out in my head is if we take Gorman in the first and then Seth Beer in the second, thus picking a 3B in the first and 1B in the second for two straight years. That sounds so bad on the surface, but the upside of the players in those picks would be really good.

For me, my top 5 are

1. Gorman

2. McClanahan

3. Liberatore

4. De Sedas

5. Mize

Note: I think Singer and Hankins will both go top 3. I wouldn't be crazy about De Sedas, as I have heard reports about the kid batting switch and not hitting well as a lefty, which is not good.

I'm all aboard the LHP train as well, if Gorman isn't there. Obviously things will change between now and June. I'd be kind of bummed if they went with another RHP.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 06:32 PM)
I'm hoping Eierman just goes bonkers this year and becomes a top 5 pick. In the games I saw last year, he was more impressive than Burger by a gigantic amount.

I think this is the guy I was stuck on last summer when I was thinking of a stud SS coming out of college that I really wanted the Sox to go after. Pretty sure it was Eierman and I saw him because I was watching Burger's games.