The 40-man, Rule 5, and roster decisions

NorthSideSox72

As we approach the 11/20 deadline for setting the 40-man roster prior to the Rule 5 draft, here's a look at who needs protecting, who may drop off, and who is at the most risk of a claim in the Rule 5.

Anyone disagree with the priorities for protection? Do people think there is a good chance the Sox take someone in the Rule 5?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
As we approach the 11/20 deadline for setting the 40-man roster prior to the Rule 5 draft, here's a look at who needs protecting, who may drop off, and who is at the most risk of a claim in the Rule 5.

Anyone disagree with the priorities for protection? Do people think there is a good chance the Sox take someone in the Rule 5?

How about pinning a thread with key offseason dates? It'd be easy to just have it in one place whenever people were curious.

The White Sox could always take a pitcher. I wouldn't be too concerned with losing anyone. Texas got Deshileds last year which was good for them, but more the exception than the rule these days. The rule 5 draft IMO gets a lot more attention than it probably deserves.

Since it takes place at the end of the Winter Meetings, hopefully we will have more to be excited about then.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
The White Sox could always take a pitcher. I wouldn't be too concerned with losing anyone. Texas got Deshileds last year which was good for them, but more the exception than the rule these days. The rule 5 draft IMO gets a lot more attention than it probably deserves.

Since it takes place at the end of the Winter Meetings, hopefully we will have more to be excited about then.

The only attention is gets is with the hardcore fans. Honestly with the Sox sitting in the 10th spot, there isn't much of a chance of anyone useful being there either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
The only attention is gets is with the hardcore fans. Honestly with the Sox sitting in the 10th spot, there isn't much of a chance of anyone useful being there either.

Sox took a player in the major league phase just two years ago, and kept him around all year.

The minor league phase is definitely baseball nerd town. But even there you sometimes find something - like Tago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Sox took a player in the major league phase just two years ago, and kept him around all year.

The minor league phase is definitely baseball nerd town. But even there you sometimes find something - like Tago.

Two years ago they picked 3rd.

Also worth noting is the list of players taken after DeShields.

4. Houston Astros: RHP Jason Garcia, Red Sox

5. Minnesota Twins: RHP J.R. Graham, Braves

6. Boston Red Sox: RHP Jandel Gustave, Astros

7. Chicago Cubs: SS Taylor Featherston, Rockies

8. Philadelphia Phillies: IF David Herrera, Rangers

9. Miami Marlins: LHP Andrew McKirahan, Cubs

10. New York Mets: LHP Sean Gilmartin, Twins

11. Atlanta Braves: RHP Daniel Winkler, Rockies

12. Seattle Mariners: LHP David Rollins, Astros

13. Baltimore Orioles: RHP Logan Verrett, Mets

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)

Nieto doesn't exactly make me dream of the rule 5 possibilities. Maybe, like was stated, if they were picking first, but 10th?

Six open spots and a bunch of crap at the end of the 34 on the list. We're in a good spot to protect whoever. Leury Garcia would be my first on the chopping block. Don't see the need for him with Johnson, Saladino, and Sanchez going for roster spots. Carroll even has more value at this point. Smith probably could be dfa'd as mentioned.

Tago, Phillips, Wendelken and Jaye should all definitely be protected since we'll have the room.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)

1. C Oscar Hernandez: Kept entire season, missed time early to injury, played as backup starting in July - still part of team plan, now at AFL

2. INF Mark Canha: Kept entire season, took over the Zobrist role of super-utility and was pretty successful at it - part of long term plan

3. OF Delino DeShields Jr: Already discussed, anyway he stuck the entire season as a starter and looks like a legit player

4. Kept for entire season (missed some time mid-season to injury), still part of their forward plan most likely

5. Kept for entire season, still part of their forward plan as far as I can tell

6. Not sure what happened here, he was back with HOU and by the way looks like a legit prospect

7. Cubs picked him, then immediately sold him (at a small profit) to LAA, where he spent the full season as a starter - so value here too

8. Kept for entire season, and did very well, starting CF, in fact in other years would be a Rookie of the Year candidate

9. Drafted by MIA, then claimed off waivers by ATL, spent time in majors and minors

10. Kept for entire season, and did very well as part of Mets' bullpen, helping them as their 7th/8th guy to a World Series

11. Missed season injured (surgery), but drafting team kept him and he's now in the AFL, and he's a significant prospect for their future

12. Kept for entire season, though was injured in first half before coming up later (and struggling)

13. Got passed around to a few teams before settling back with Mets - where he ended up being a very good part of their bullpen

So this list illustrates exactly why the Rule 5 is important. Look at the bolded players especially - that's a lot of value teams found in that draft. Your list proves that out.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Six open spots and a bunch of crap at the end of the 34 on the list. We're in a good spot to protect whoever. Leury Garcia would be my first on the chopping block. Don't see the need for him with Johnson, Saladino, and Sanchez going for roster spots. Carroll even has more value at this point. Smith probably could be dfa'd as mentioned.

Tago, Phillips, Wendelken and Jaye should all definitely be protected since we'll have the room.

Good call on Leury, he may be DFA'd. Should be, but not sure he will be. I'll update the article on that aspect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)

Good point. The only players there I've even heard of are Featherston and Graham.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Good point. The only players there I've even heard of are Featherston and Graham.

See here...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
1. C Oscar Hernandez: Kept entire season, missed time early to injury, played as backup starting in July - still part of team plan, now at AFL

2. INF Mark Canha: Kept entire season, took over the Zobrist role of super-utility and was pretty successful at it - part of long term plan

3. OF Delino DeShields Jr: Already discussed, anyway he stuck the entire season as a starter and looks like a legit player

4. Kept for entire season (missed some time mid-season to injury), still part of their forward plan most likely

5. Kept for entire season, still part of their forward plan as far as I can tell

6. Not sure what happened here, he was back with HOU and by the way looks like a legit prospect

7. Cubs picked him, then immediately sold him (at a small profit) to LAA, where he spent the full season as a starter - so value here too

8. Kept for entire season, and did very well, starting CF, in fact in other years would be a Rookie of the Year candidate

9. Drafted by MIA, then claimed off waivers by ATL, spent time in majors and minors

10. Kept for entire season, and did very well as part of Mets' bullpen, helping them as their 7th/8th guy to a World Series

11. Missed season injured (surgery), but drafting team kept him and he's now in the AFL, and he's a significant prospect for their future

12. Kept for entire season, though was injured in first half before coming up later (and struggling)

13. Got passed around to a few teams before settling back with Mets - where he ended up being a very good part of their bullpen

So this list illustrates exactly why the Rule 5 is important. Look at the bolded players especially - that's a lot of value teams found in that draft. Your list proves that out.

Is there anywhere we can look at possible rule 5 players from other teams? For the Sox, I dont think they need to protect Leury, Kevan Smith, or Daniel Webb. I would protect Tago, Phillips, Smith, Wendelken, and Jaye.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Is there anywhere we can look at possible rule 5 players from other teams? For the Sox, I dont think they need to protect Leury, Kevan Smith, or Daniel Webb. I would protect Tago, Phillips, Smith, Wendelken, and Jaye.

That's sort of the Part 2. We won't know who is left exposed until November 20th (or just after).

At that point, typically Baseball America does a look into the top 20 or 30 names left exposed - that is worth looking at.

For now, it is about who the Sox need to protect, more than who they may select.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 01:36 AM)
Why would the White Sox care about Rule 5 in 2016?

In 2016? A number of key prospects come due for protection then. Anyone drafted in 2013 that was 19 or older when signed: Anderson, May, Engel, Lowry, Wheeler, Dykstra are all in that group. Also any 2012 late signs (like Coats) and any 18 or younger signings from 2012 draft: Hawkins, Barnum, Guerrero all come due as well. Also any 2012 J2 signings (Cruz, Otano, Rodriguez and others). Those names I just listed make up a good dozen of the current 30 best prospects in the system. It's early to be thinking about it, but, it sure looks like a much bigger class of talent to worry about.

or did you actually mean 2015?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)

All of those guys have some use. Smith, fwiw, is our most advanced catching prospect. WEbb has had a lot of time in the majors, and he's done well at times, albeit inconsistently.

And Leury certainly can be an effective utility player; he hit a little better last year as well. The Sox spent $8 million or so on 2 utility stiffs. They are going to need one of these types.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
All of those guys have some use. Smith, fwiw, is our most advanced catching prospect. WEbb has had a lot of time in the majors, and he's done well at times, albeit inconsistently.

And Leury certainly can be an effective utility player; he hit a little better last year as well. The Sox spent $8 million or so on 2 utility stiffs. They are going to need one of these types.

They have three - Saladino, Sanchez and Leury. With Leury being far and away the weakest of the bunch in overall value. His hitting is atrocious on a special level, and frankly his defense isn't that great either. He's got more speed than either of the others, but has no other advantages. No reason to keep him.