Sports Mockery fixes the White Sox

coco1997

Sports Mockery posted this article the other day. Some intriguing ideas, though I'm not sure I'd be on board with all of them.

- Trade LaRoche, Flowers and cash to PHI for DH Ryan Howard

- Trade Quintana, Garcia, Montas and Jones to LAD for RF Yasiel Puig and 3B Jacob Turner

- Sign C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

- Sign LHP Mark Buehrle

- Sign LHP Neal Cotts

- Re-sign C Geovany Soto

Projected lineup:

1. Adam Eaton CF

2. Melky Cabrera LF

3. Yasiel Puig RF

4. Jose Abreu 1B

5. Ryan Howard DH

6. Justin Turner 3B

7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

8. Tyler Saladino SS

9. Carlos Sanchez 2B

Projected rotation:

Chris Sale LHP

Carlos Rodon LHP

Erik Johnson RHP

Mark Buehrle LHP

John Danks LHP

Projected 2016 payroll: $128 million

Thoughts? I'm not comfortable with Saladino as our starting SS, and I definitely think the LAD trade would be an overpay on the Sox part. I'd prefer to get their young catcher Austin Barnes back in that deal.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Sports Mockery posted this article the other day. Some intriguing ideas, though I'm not sure I'd be on board with all of them.

- Trade LaRoche, Flowers and cash to PHI for DH Ryan Howard

- Trade Quintana, Garcia, Montas and Jones to LAD for RF Yasiel Puig and 3B Jacob Turner

- Sign C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

- Sign LHP Mark Buehrle

- Sign LHP Neal Cotts

- Re-sign C Geovany Soto

Projected lineup:

1. Adam Eaton CF

2. Melky Cabrera LF

3. Yasiel Puig RF

4. Jose Abreu 1B

5. Ryan Howard DH

6. Justin Turner 3B

7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

8. Tyler Saladino SS

9. Carlos Sanchez 2B

Projected rotation:

Chris Sale LHP

Carlos Rodon LHP

Erik Johnson RHP

Mark Buehrle LHP

John Danks LHP

Projected 2016 payroll: $128 million

Thoughts? I'm not comfortable with Saladino as our starting SS, and I definitely think the LAD trade would be an overpay on the Sox part. I'd prefer to get their young catcher Austin Barnes back in that deal.

Apparently they are making a mockery of the Sox in those deals. Ryan Howard has 25 million on his 2016 contract vs 13 for Laroche. Why would the Sox send Philly money when it should be the other way around. The Sox are way overpaying in the Dodgers deal. That would be fleecing the sox. Plus I doubt the Dodgers want garcia. If they move puig they are probably going after one of the top outfielders on the market like Heyward.

Those deals suck. Something more fair in each case would be:

LaRoche for Howard + cash (PHI eats the extra $12 million owed Howard)

Q, Garcia, Montas and Jones for Puig, Seager, and Urias

Change the trades to that, and do everything else except re-sign Soto, and I'd be good with it.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)
Those deals suck. Something more fair in each case would be:

LaRoche for Howard + cash (PHI eats the extra $12 million owed Howard)

Q, Garcia, Montas and Jones for Puig, Seager, and Urias

Change the trades to that, and do everything else except re-sign Soto, and I'd be good with it.

There's no way that LA gives the Sox Seager AND Urias without Sale going the other way.

I just don't see that happening.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 07:12 AM)
There's no way that LA gives the Sox Seager AND Urias without Sale going the other way.

I just don't see that happening.

I admit that for that deal to work, the Dodgers would have to value the potential of Garcia quite a bit and they'd have to view Montas as a future starter. That said, that deal is far more fair than the one this dumb website came up with.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Do you guys not know who Justin Turner is (despite the OP typo)?

He's awesome, but I wouldn't want him back in a Q trade since AFAIK he only has one year before free agency. He doesn't do much good for the team constructed in the article.

We don't need fixing. We're the team that gave the sports universe Kiss Him Goodbye....

The song is often used as a sports chant aimed toward a losing team, popularized in particular by stadium organist Nancy Faust at home games of baseball's Chicago White Sox, and is often chanted in WWE events whenever a performer or authority figure is fired, or an unpopular politician is defeated.

...and resurrected Don't Stop Believin' as a sports anthem....

The song has been a rallying cry for a multitude of sports teams, first by the Chicago White Sox in their successful run to the 2005 World Series, when catcher A. J. Pierzynski and teammates heard the song being sung in a bar in Baltimore.

How can we not win?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quintana is, conservatively, about a 5 WAR per year pitcher. Puig is very inconsistent, but let's call him a 4 WAR per year OF to be generous. So, player for player, Quintana is going to be worth 1 more WAR per year.

At first glance, the contracts seem fairly even as well. However, Puig can opt out of his contract at any point now and opt in to arbitration. So either Puig is severely less valuable than Quintana and you overpay for poor production or Puig is almost as valuable as Quintana and you pay much closer to market value for that production. Either way, between player value and contract value, Q is probably going to be worth 2-3 WAR more per year than Puig over the life of their respective contracts.

So, if they viewed Garcia as a player they could turn into at least an average OF and they viewed Montas as a future starter who could be a 2 or 3, it would actually be a pretty fair deal. It certainly, however, is a MUCH fairer deal than what that website came up with.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
Quintana is, conservatively, about a 5 WAR per year pitcher. Puig is very inconsistent, but let's call him a 4 WAR per year OF to be generous. So, player for player, Quintana is going to be worth 1 more WAR per year.

That's just not true. Quintana's career high is 5.1 fWAR, and he's projected at 3.6 by Steamer. He CAN be a 5 win guy, but that's not conservative at all. He's probably most likely a 4 win guy, conservatively 3.5.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
That's just not true. Quintana's career high is 5.1 fWAR, and he's projected at 3.6 by Steamer. He CAN be a 5 win guy, but that's not conservative at all. He's probably most likely a 4 win guy, conservatively 3.5.

I went a bit overboard by saying "conservatively", but Quintana has been worth 9.9 fWAR over the last two years, so saying he's a 5 WAR pitcher is reasonable. Conservatively, he'd be a 4 WAR per year pitcher. This doesn't address that calling Puig a 4 WAR per year OF is fairly generous.