Sox Acquire Tommy Kahnle

Jose Abreu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The White Sox announced that they have acquired right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies in exchange for minor league right-hander Yency Almonte (Twitter link). Kahnle was designated for assignment by the Rockies last Friday in a series of moves to set the club’s roster in advance of the Rule 5 Draft.

Kahnle, who turned 26 in August, came to the Rockies from the Yankees organization by way of the Rule 5 Draft in 2013. He’s totaled 102 innings for the Rox over the past two years — his lone MLB experience — and posted a 4.41 ERA while averaging exactly one strikeout per inning to go along with a strong 49.4 percent ground-ball rate. Kahnle’s problem, however, has been a lack of control. Though he’s averaged 95 mph on his fastball in the Majors (95.9 mph in 2015), he’s averaged 5.2 walks per nine innings pitched and issued an alarming 27 unintentional walks in 33 1/3 innings this past season.

The 21-year-old Almonte came to the Sox as the player to be named later in the 2014 deal that sentGordon Beckham to the Angels. Almonte spent the 2015 campaign pitching for Class-A Kannapolis and Class-A Advanced Winston-Salem, posting a combined 3.41 ERA with 7.2 K/9 against 2.5 BB/9 in 137 1/3 innings (22 starts; 24 total appearances). He didn’t rank among Chicago’s Top 30 prospects, per MLB.com.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/whit...de-rockies.html

Strike outs and ground ball rate is probably the appealing things for sox. Coop can fix control might be pretty good

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
What are his home/away splits? Because overall his numbers are pretty bad.

For his career:

Coors: .240/.344/.369 allowed

Away: .202/.347/.342

Not much difference in the K/BB rates though.

When the Sox acquire a reliever the first thing I check is his groundball rate. 54.8% last year for Kahnle, fits right in the Hahn mold.

You want to know Almonte, he's a split personality pitcher.

When he overthrows, which he does semi-regularly, he's got a fastball that runs 93-95 and touches as high as 97, but it's flat and left up. Slider runs upper 80's even touching 90, and flattens out - also up.

When he isn't over-throwing, he's more 91-93 with the fastball and 84-87 with the slider, the both move more and he keeps it down. When he's this guy, he's quite effective.

We saw him live twice this year. Reports are here and here. Also we have video on our YT channel here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
You want to know Almonte, he's a split personality pitcher.

When he overthrows, which he does semi-regularly, he's got a fastball that runs 93-95 and touches as high as 97, but it's flat and left up. Slider runs upper 80's even touching 90, and flattens out - also up.

When he isn't over-throwing, he's more 91-93 with the fastball and 84-87 with the slider, the both move more and he keeps it down. When he's this guy, he's quite effective.

We saw him live twice this year. Reports are here and here. Also we have video on our YT channel here.

i am so-so on this trade, i was reading something earlier in the day of a pro lh-rp from San who is underrated.... i was thinking why not. but the sox may see something here that we as fans are not privy to.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Petricka is the guy I'd trade

He's another ground ball guy that can throw 93-96 with movement though. That's Hahn's mold.

I honestly can see Putnam on the block. He has a nasty splitter, but he throws 88-90 and he hung quite a bit of splitters late last season.

Fine trade. Hope he becomes a good reliever for us

White Sox acquired RHP Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies in exchange for RHP Yency Almonte.

Kahnle was removed from the Rockies' 40-man roster last week in a pretty surprising move. He was one of Colorado's most effective relievers for much of 2015, even ascending to the closer role at one point, but a really rough week in September helped push his final ERA to 4.86. While he has major control issues, Kahnle gets strikeouts and groundballs, so he's worth a gamble for the White Sox.

Nov 24 - 5:09 PM

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
With this acquisition, is Albers as good as gone? One of the pen guys going to be traded? Or just more depth in case of injury.

I'm pretty sure albers was pretty much gone anyway. After he elected free agency there was stuff said that albers wanted a setup role and since the sox have that with Jones and Duke I doubt there's room for albers