David Price $217mm/7 years

bruni

Well gang, the Price deal (to me) officially seals the deal: The White Sox CAN NOT trade Q or Sale. There is no possible way to recoup the value that each is in terms of years of control and financial commitment left for the WSox. If I were Sale and Q, I'd be firing my agents for not having the foresight to anticipate the market for pitching. Security when young is one thing, but they cost themselves truckloads of $$.

Keep the pitching and keep attempting to build around it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Samardzija gonna cash in.

Maybe. The problem with these "precedent-setting" deals is that they have the secondary effect of removing the deepest pocket from the bidding pool. There are four teams that are going to commit big on a starter before Samardzija's name gets pulled, and the Tigers and BoSox are already out.

QUOTE (bruni @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
Well gang, the Price deal (to me) officially seals the deal: The White Sox CAN NOT trade Q or Sale. There is no possible way to recoup the value that each is in terms of years of control and financial commitment left for the WSox. If I were Sale and Q, I'd be firing my agents for not having the foresight to anticipate the market for pitching. Security when young is one thing, but they cost themselves truckloads of $$.

Keep the pitching and keep attempting to build around it.

Maybe it means the opposite: a great opportunity to, (dare I suggest something that the Sox haven't done in a decade+) sell high.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
The White Sox signed David Price!?

Then why is this here?

I'm lucky I heard the news before logging on. I would've assumed (by the title and this being PHT) that we signed Price and I would've had a heart attack :lol:

Mods, maybe one of you could add "Boston signs" to the title or something?

Anyway, that deal will be biting them in the ass in a few years.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Maybe it means the opposite: a great opportunity to, (dare I suggest something that the Sox haven't done in a decade+) sell high.

Yeah this was my thought. Sox could have a real good opportunity to cash in on Quintana after teams see this deal.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)
Yeah this was my thought. Sox could have a real good opportunity to cash in on Quintana after teams see this deal.

it will all depends on the players coming back on the rtn for the trade. there are only several team that can really sweeten that idea of a trade.

Well if the Dodgers lose out on Grienke and the Cubs don't come away with a top of the rotation starter, perhaps they will be more anxious to grossly overpay for a WSox pitcher, but I doubt the WSox go that route esp now unless it is a Hershel Walker-esque, Vikings-Cowboys deal in terms of lopsidedness...

QUOTE (bruni @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 12:15 AM)
Well if the Dodgers lose out on Grienke and the Cubs don't come away with a top of the rotation starter, perhaps they will be more anxious to grossly overpay for a WSox pitcher, but I doubt the WSox go that route esp now unless it is a Hershel Walker-esque, Vikings-Cowboys deal in terms of lopsidedness...

the dodgers can let zach walk to the gaints. talk about the rivalry.

the northside will sign shark if all else fail. or maybe cueto.

Sad things about deals like this is that it's really hard for me to imagine Sale wanting to stay with the Sox if they aren't winning and aren't paying him market value. You know sure as s*** the Sox won't pay him what he deserves.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Like others have said, this deal makes Sale & Quintana's trade value sky rocket.

They are not trading either of them.

1000% agree. The Sox cannot afford to trade such cheap pitching and no team will offer up full value so I expect Sale and Q to fulfill their contracts. That makes me a happy Sox fan. :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
1000% agree. The Sox cannot afford to trade such cheap pitching and no team will offer up full value so I expect Sale and Q to fulfill their contracts. That makes me a happy Sox fan. :D

The big question I'm wondering is if they'll stay on the Sox after those deals are over.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
The big question I'm wondering is if they'll stay on the Sox after those deals are over.

As long as the Sox keep doing a good job of scouting and developing pitching, I could honestly care less. Let em both go to FA and cash in, as long as its another team paying the obscene price.

The Sox have to open the pocket book and sign Heyward. Our pitching is cheap for the rest of the decade. Spend some dough on some premium bats. Heyward is the least risky FA signing one can get just based on his age. Gotta spend some dough and compete or Abreu is gonna opt out and walk.