Realmuto the next Marlin to be auctioned off?

caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/news/another-marlins-...-174617875.html

Acquiring teams would have three (two relatively more expensive) years of control...if it was through 2021, or the Sox could extend him, but the cost would be pretty darned prohibitive.

Otoh, the jury is far from out on Collins/Zavala defensively, and Castillo will (likely) only be around 1 1/2 years.

Edited by caulfield12

I wouldn't be opposed to entering the conversation to get back one of Miamis bad contracts in return for a good prospect. Tazawa. Zeigler. If the Marlins want to save money those are two guys who stunk last year make around 16 million should get you a good player to take on.

Also gives our bullpen some meatshields before starting the clock on the guys in the minors.

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

23s

Sources: #Marlins, #Nationals remain in touch but have not made progress on a J.T. Realmuto trade. Thus far, Miami has asked for deal to include Victor Robles or Juan Soto; Nats have said no. (@JonHeyman first reported Robles as part of ask.) @MLB @MLBNetwork

Seems like the Marlins asking price is still high, so I doubt the Sox have any real interest unless that price drops down a lot.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

23s

Sources: #Marlins, #Nationals remain in touch but have not made progress on a J.T. Realmuto trade. Thus far, Miami has asked for deal to include Victor Robles or Juan Soto; Nats have said no. (@JonHeyman first reported Robles as part of ask.) @MLB @MLBNetwork

Seems like the Marlins asking price is still high, so I doubt the Sox have any real interest unless that price drops down a lot.

Robles is untouchable, but I can certainly see the Marlins requiring Juan Soto to be a part of the deal.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

23s

It will be interesting to see how long they will sit on him to get a price.

From the White Sox discussion end of things, what would people think of a deal that started with Zach Collins as the top guy?q

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)

From the White Sox discussion end of things, what would people think of a deal that started with Zach Collins as the top guy?q

Realmuto does not make sense for the White Sox, especially after we just signed Castillo to a two year contract

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)

Collins would not lead that deal.. lol. He'd be a second piece for Realmuto

The Marlins seem to be doing a really brokea** Sox rebuild a year later. Thank god we have Hahn and not Jeter and Co.

You look at all these talented guys being auctioned off and you think to yourself how the hell didn't they compete..

Yelich

Ozuna

Gordon

Stanton

Realmuto

Then you still have okay pieces in Bour, I forget their third baseman off the top of my head,.. the overpaid, but decent 3B.

I mean, they had a heck of a lot of talent but no real SP. Kind of the Sox, but opposite. We had Sale and Q and company, but just not enough bats. Then when didn't have what we needed to trade or acquire them to finish the team.

Has to suck to be a Marlins fan.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 07:34 PM)
The Marlins seem to be doing a really brokea** Sox rebuild a year later. Thank god we have Hahn and not Jeter and Co.

You look at all these talented guys being auctioned off and you think to yourself how the hell didn't they compete..

Yelich

Ozuna

Gordon

Stanton

Realmuto

Then you still have okay pieces in Bour, I forget their third baseman off the top of my head,.. the overpaid, but decent 3B.

I mean, they had a heck of a lot of talent but no real SP. Kind of the Sox, but opposite. We had Sale and Q and company, but just not enough bats. Then when didn't have what we needed to trade or acquire them to finish the team.

Has to suck to be a Marlins fan.

Both teams should be ashamed they weren't more competitive

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
Not to be callous, but the death of Jose Fernandez really messed up their chances to win. I mean think about the White Sox pre-selloff if suddenly Chris Sale just straight up disappeared. Not something you can just recover from.

Amazing how much good young talent they had and did essentially nothing with. It seems like their farm dried up big time once those players made the majors.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 01:57 PM)
Not to be callous, but the death of Jose Fernandez really messed up their chances to win. I mean think about the White Sox pre-selloff if suddenly Chris Sale just straight up disappeared. Not something you can just recover from.

Totally forgot about him! True, you add him back into the mix? You are probably just one FA or trade for another strong arm from being right in it for 3-4 years. That really sent that team into a tailspin.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 04:14 PM)
Totally forgot about him! True, you add him back into the mix? You are probably just one FA or trade for another strong arm from being right in it for 3-4 years. That really sent that team into a tailspin.

A quick check of last year's stats found them 7th in the bigs in position player fWAR but 28th in pitching. That supports your statement very strongly.

Marlins remind me a lot of when the Royals has an OF of Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye, a trio of players that were staples of playoff teams through the decade after they left. With Ozuna going to STL, Yellich to MIL and Stanton to NYY, looking very similar.

edit: hmm i posted that before and forgot. Getting old.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)

Set my dynasty team into a tailspin too...

Or the Royals with Yordano Ventura, Cardinals with Taveras....but Fernandez was on a whole nother level. Whole franchise revolved around his future. That was also the final straw for Lurie, from everything reported.

Of course, trading Sale with Stanton’s contract would have resulted with similar disappointment for Sox fans.