The Jeff Samardzija Thread

Dunt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Might be the wrong forum, but I think this clown deserves his own thread. Boy did the Sox dodge a bullet on him. Through 3 today against the Brewers:

3 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

5 years 90 million.

f***ing wow!

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Hey, it's the same franchise (SNF) that signed Barry Zito to his monster contract.

They apparently smoke too much medical marijuana out there in the Bay...

It must be good s*** because they have won their fair share of titles in the past decade

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Hey, it's the same franchise (SNF) that signed Barry Zito to his monster contract.

They apparently smoke too much medical marijuana out there in the Bay...

I can't really knock the Giants seeing their recent hardware collection

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I still am of the belief that it will be a good deal by all accounts for the Giants and his final line was more than solid. Talk about overreaction here.

8 hits and 3 BB's in 5.1 IP against one of the worst teams in baseball is solid?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
8 hits and 3 BB's in 5.1 IP against one of the worst teams in baseball is solid?

It was one game and it certainly wasn't some 10 run route like was made out to be. If after two month's he has an ERA > 5, sure, but either way, the guy was here for a year and didn't work out. Oh well, doesn't need a seperate thread. Plenty of guys stink all the time. It one freaking game.

Is Zach Greinke the biggest bum ever because he had an awful opener? What about Clayton Kershaw who was lousy for the first month and a half last year before dominating the planet again. Please note that I am not comparing Shark to either of them, but I'm not going to reach any conclusion on Shark's contract being awful because of one freaking game (unless he got hurt and was going to be out the next two years or something).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
It was one game and it certainly wasn't some 10 run route like was made out to be. If after two month's he has an ERA > 5, sure, but either way, the guy was here for a year and didn't work out. Oh well, doesn't need a seperate thread. Plenty of guys stink all the time. It one freaking game.

Is Zach Greinke the biggest bum ever because he had an awful opener? What about Clayton Kershaw who was lousy for the first month and a half last year before dominating the planet again. Please note that I am not comparing Shark to either of them, but I'm not going to reach any conclusion on Shark's contract being awful because of one freaking game (unless he got hurt and was going to be out the next two years or something).

If this was dbackstalk, OMG. Greinke gets destroyed. Shelby Miller gives up 3 long balls. KW, JR and RH are pretty popular compared to what it would be like for Dave Stewart and Tony LaRussa.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Might be the wrong forum, but I think this clown deserves his own thread. Boy did the Sox dodge a bullet on him. Through 3 today against the Brewers:

3 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

He's on the Giants. Calm the f*** down.

The sox didn't give much up for him, and they got a first round pick for him. It wasn't that bad of a deal. Sometimes things don't work out.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
I now refer to our acquisition of Samardzija as the Michael Ynoa trade. We gave up four pretty good prospects for Ynoa and a draft pick next June.

If we play our cards right, that pick at #26 could be huge to the future of the organization. We will now have $5.5 million to spend in the first 26 picks of the draft.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I still am of the belief that it will be a good deal by all accounts for the Giants and his final line was more than solid. Talk about overreaction here.

Samardzija's first start for the Giants went much better than his first start for the Sox last year so technically it's a step in the right direction for Samardzija. :lol:

I think the Sox did dodge a bullet but today's start wasn't all that bad either.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Samardzija's first start for the Giants went much better than his first start for the Sox last year so technically it's a step in the right direction for Samardzija. :lol:

I think the Sox did dodge a bullet but today's start wasn't all that bad either.

I also should point out, I agree, given our resources, that we should not have given that contract to Shark. I am just saying I think of all the FA deals handed out, it won't go down as a bad deal, rather a pretty fair one that will work out solidly for the Giants. I'm not saying he's going to out pitch his contract by a massive amount, but I don't see him severely under pitching it or anything like that and in general think they'll get there money's worth (considering what FA pitchers go for).