Report: Rangers getting new ballpark

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...le-roof-stadium

The Ballpark in Arlington opened just 22 years ago, but it sounds like the Rangers will be getting a new retractable roof stadium in Arlington.

Edit: Financing hasn't been finalized and may be subject to a public vote, so it's not a sure thing yet.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 19, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
I live about six miles from the BP at Arlington. It's an awesome park. Don't know why they'd replace it so soon.

I'm not a huge fan. Never been there or anything, I just don't like how poorly the Sox play there. So it's associated with bad memories.

You know you're getting older when they're contemplating a city's stadium that would be the third one you've been to in a lifetime.

The others for me are Jacobs/Cleveland Municipal Stadium, 2 Busch Stadiums, Kingdome/Safeco, 3 Rivers/PNC and Memorial Stadium/Camden Yards. Comerica and Tiger Stadium. Both White Sox stadiums, of course.

I actually like the new stadium in Texas...except hearing that home run music from THE NATURAL has gotten quite old for visiting teams over the years, haha.

Looks like it will be $1 billion plus, $500 million publicly financed and $500 million from the Rangers (plus the Rangers responsible for cost overruns)...will be finished no later than for the 2021 season.

Funds available created by local hotel taxes and early payoff of the bonds for AT&T/Cowboys Stadium.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
Looks like it will be $1 billion plus, $500 million publicly financed and $500 million from the Rangers (plus the Rangers responsible for cost overruns)...will be finished no later than for the 2021 season.

Funds available created by local hotel taxes and early payoff of the bonds for AT&T/Cowboys Stadium.

When it comes to both of the stadiums in Arlington, the only real losers are the people who want to go to the games. Dallas has a surprisingly good rail system for a city in Texas, but Arlington has declined to have a station built on said line. Baseball isn't as bad, but football games at AT&T stadium are just a disaster.

When you consider it from a heat factor, there was a summer a few years back where it was over 100 for 100 days in a row. If that's going to be the weather, I get why the Rangers would want an indoor facility. It's a lot of money, but it almost has to be done. That's a ridiculous number of scorching games where weather drives fans away from the ballpark.

I love GLP as well.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 19, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
When the old post office inevitably goes into development hell, the Sox need to be all over it.

That would be an absolute game changer for the White Sox Organization. The old post office seems to be living in development purgatory, so we have no idea when this will actually happen.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 29, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
That would be an absolute game changer for the White Sox Organization. The old post office seems to be living in development purgatory, so we have no idea when this will actually happen.

We will likely never get public money for a stadium again. Illinois is in too much turmoil.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 25, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
When you consider it from a heat factor, there was a summer a few years back where it was over 100 for 100 days in a row. If that's going to be the weather, I get why the Rangers would want an indoor facility. It's a lot of money, but it almost has to be done. That's a ridiculous number of scorching games where weather drives fans away from the ballpark.

I love GLP as well.

Indoor baseball sucks but when it's 100 like that, you just can't sit and watch a baseball game. It's baking in the sun.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:29 PM)
Indoor baseball sucks but when it's 100 like that, you just can't sit and watch a baseball game. It's baking in the sun.

Indoor does kind of suck, but it's preferable to rain delays or extreme heat. No baseball is the worst :(

Edited by Deadpool