Dodgers released Alex Guerrero

GGajewski18

Guerrero grades horribly in the outfield but is rated decent at 3B, but that position is occupied by Frazier with Lawrie and Saladino as emergency backsups. So unless the Dodgers are willing to take LaRoche back in return,there's no room for Guerrero on the White Sox. Even if the Dodgers would take LaRoche that still doesn't solve the RF issue.

I don't think Sox fans have anything to worry about.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Is every outfielder with a flaw Viciedo or Garcia now? I would be a lot more comfortable the roster as currently constructed if Avi had the ISO power Guerrero showed off the bench last year.

Players who do not have a good approach at the plate and are huge defensive liabilities, that Viciedo and Avi for us. Guerrero fits into that category. As previously mentioned, Avi is younger and still getting stronger. While Guerrero has more power at this point, he still doesn't solve our issues of OBP and outfield defense.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
Players who do not have a good approach at the plate and are huge defensive liabilities, that Viciedo and Avi for us. Guerrero fits into that category. As previously mentioned, Avi is younger and still getting stronger. While Guerrero has more power at this point, he still doesn't solve our issues of OBP and outfield defense.

Wasn't all of Guerrero's power the first few months? Seemed he had ten homers early and just fell off a cliff.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Wasn't all of Guerrero's power the first few months? Seemed he had ten homers early and just fell off a cliff.

Right. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his Cuban track record, but if he does provide more power than Avi, it isn't by a whole lot.

I am the polar opposite of a lot of you and think Guerrero is the perfect candidate for a team to acquire (with upside). However, given where the Sox are, I do agree with most of you that he isn't a fit. When everyone says he can't field, it is because he's been completely dicked around by the entire Dodgers organization. And in terms of his bat, it plays and could be quite good, he just never got the playing time necessary. Guy has never had a shot to develop.

My presumption is anyone who trades for him will do so working on some form of a new deal with him, but he is most valuable going to a team who isn't going to be great and can actually give him a chance to develop. The guy raked in his one season in the minors (until he got his ear bit off by Miguel Olivo). And when he got regular playing time with dodgers, he had a nice run. Great buy low candidate in my opinion (if we weren't already loaded in the areas he can play).

• 4 months later...