Ht: 5-11
Wt: 190
B/T: S/R
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
Drafted: 2012, 9th Rd, 291st overall
College: Indiana University
Twitter: @Micah_Johnson3

Overview
A hoosier by birth, Micah Johnson out of IU was drafted by the White Sox in the 2012 draft in the 9th round with the 291st overall selection. A preseason All-American in his Junior year, the only one in the Big Ten, Johnson missed half of his final season at IU due to elbow injury. During his high school career Micah earned all state honors and was named Indiana’s best athlete in the 2009 class by MaxPreps Baseball. According to rumor he once beat 2007 NBA No. 1 pick Greg Oden in one-on-one as a freshman. He joins Josh Phegley, Ethan Wilson, and Michael Earley as recent White Sox draft picks out of IU. Johnson utilizes a walking lead to help steal bases, which he learned in the Cape Cod league where he was coached by the father of Brian Roberts.

College Career
Johnson played 3 seasons at IU, the last of which saw him only play in 24 games due to injury, and his production suffer when he was in the lineup. Even with his down Junior year Micah finished out his IU career with a combined .308 batting average with 15 home runs, 86 RBI, and 32 stolen bases. His freshman year was by far his most productive at the plate as he hit for a .312 average and slugged 11 homeruns. A third basemen that season, he struggled defensively committing 17 errors. Micah’s sophmore season saw him move to second base where he was able to make a large turn around and solidify a spot on the All-Big Ten Second Team. At the plate he led IU in runs, stolen bases, triples, walks, and sac flies.

Minor League Career
Micah made his professional baseball debut with the Great Falls Voyagers in Rookie League. In 69 games he hit for a .273/.375/391 slash line with 19 SB on 25 attempts and 10 2B, 5 3B, and 4 HR. Micah struck out at a rate of 27% of AB with 74 SO to 43 BB. An area for improvement moving forward. Johnson capped his 2012 campaign with a selection as a Pioneer League Post-Season All-Star

Having been promoted to Low-A Kannapolis, Micah is off to a tremendous start to the 2013 campaign, and presently leads all of Minor League Baseball with 54 stolen bases in 66 games, including 4 stolen bases in a single game against Greensboro on 5/6. For the season Johnson is currently batting .339/.422/.525 with 15 2B, 9 3B, and 5 HR. Micah was selected to the SAL All-Star game and walked away with MVP honors going 1-2 with 2 SB, stealing second and third on consecutive pitches, and scoring the winning run.

References:
http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-basebl/...on_micah00.html
http://indiana.247sports.com/Article/Micah...White-Sox-76268
http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=87512
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...p;tcid=tw_share
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=608672 Edited by QuickJones81

• 1 month later...

Johnson was profiled on milb.com as one of the "Ten First Half Climbers in the South Atlantic League":

5. Micah Johnson, 2B (Kannapolis Intimidators) — 2012 Draft, 9th round, White Sox unranked

What he did: .335/.416/.524, 6 HR, 9 3B, 16 2B, 38 RBIs, 55 steals in 71 tries in 70 games. The 22-year-old has done a bit of everything this year. In addition to leading the SAL in triples and stolen bases (by a healthy margin), Johnson sits sixth in OPS. He showed he could get on base and use his speed with Great Falls last year, hitting .273/.375/.391 in 69 games with 19 steals in 25 tries, but the uptick in power is a nice surprise if he can carry it with him to the higher levels.

Where he might rank: Tough to say. Without being too aggressive, let’s say somewhere between 10-20 of an improving but still thin White Sox system.

johnson555.jpg

http://milbprospective.wordpress.com/2013/...tlantic-league/

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Having surgery to reposition a nerve in his elbow. Had same procedure done while at IU.

Source? Also, got the impression his previous surgery was a lot more than just an adjustment, from what he told us when we interviewed him. Said he had serious issues from it, couldn't feel his arm for a while.

By the way, here is what he told me when I interviewed him for FS back in June, about the elbow situation previously:

Yeah, my "funny bone" nerve, I think its the ulnar nerve, was pretty badly damaged. It happened on the Cape [Cape Cod League] the summer after my sophomore year. They thought it was tendinitis at first, so they just kept playing me. But it got really bad, to where I couldn't even use a video game controller, that's when I knew it was bad. I started losing some feeling in there. They had to do surgery really fast, because it can lead to permanent loss of use if you don't fix it quick. They removed the tendon to the tricep. I missed my junior year recovering.

That sounds pretty bad. Seems hard to believe it is as bad this time, considering how well he was playing. And he missed a season recovering.

After Surgery

It may take 3 to 6 months for a full recovery, but recovery time will vary depending on the type of surgery, the severity of the injury, the patient’s general health and adherence to physical therapy exercises, and other factors. After 2 to 4 weeks, physical therapists will advise an exercise plan to enable a full range of motion of the elbow joint. Muscle stretching and toning exercises are gradually performed, not only to restore full function, but also to reduce swelling and control pain.

Because a detailed history and a clinical examination is performed prior to any surgical procedure, the chances of developing any side effects or complications are unlikely. While rare, the risks associated with this procedure are those related to general anesthesia or injury to the nerve during transposition.

http://www.premier-ortho.com/patient-educa...-transposition/

Three months would take him to the end of January whereas the six-month extreme would be the end of April.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I really hope Micah starts the season in AAA. I think 2B is going to be Bonafacio's job, and I want to see Micah get full reps versus just a bench role. Prior to Bonafacio signing, I was pulling for Micah to win the 2B job, but now I think that's just not happening unless we see an injury in the spring and Bon has to take over that position. Hopefully that situation doesn't come up and Micah can be completely ready to go for 2016 in the majors.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 02:36 AM)
I really hope Micah starts the season in AAA. I think 2B is going to be Bonafacio's job, and I want to see Micah get full reps versus just a bench role. Prior to Bonafacio signing, I was pulling for Micah to win the 2B job, but now I think that's just not happening unless we see an injury in the spring and Bon has to take over that position. Hopefully that situation doesn't come up and Micah can be completely ready to go for 2016 in the majors.

Possible. But I think it's more likely that bonifacio is a super sub in the role that they thought keppinger would fill.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Possible. But I think it's more likely that bonifacio is a super sub in the role that they thought keppinger would fill.

If Bonifacio isn't playing 3b at least ~25% of the games this season then we're doing something wrong.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 17, 2015 -> 01:36 AM)

I feel the opposite. A big reason we should all hope that Micah wins the job is so that we can use Boni properly and maximize his flexibility. Hope he's ready.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Micah's future if CF, to me. Shouldnt we get that transition going soon? Get value up for him in so doing

Eaton of course has that contract. But what irks me a little there is how little we truly know about Eaton. Even his defense is this wild rollercoaster and point of debate amongst different def. metrics

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Micah's future if CF, to me. Shouldnt we get that transition going soon? Get value up for him in so doing

Eaton of course has that contract. But what irks me a little there is how little we truly know about Eaton. Even his defense is this wild rollercoaster and point of debate amongst different def. metrics

i believe his arm problems may not let do that.