🎾 2018 Tennis Thread 🎾

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 09:51 AM)
I was hoping Isner would be the next men's US star like 5 years ago but nah. He's just really tall.

I enjoy watching him and he's a likable guy, but yeah, he just serves big. Nice forehand, too. Lack of a backhand and lack of mobility is killer. If he could construct longer points better he might have enough game to be a consistent top 10 player. Still, he's had a really nice career.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 06:18 AM)
Nadal retired in the 5th?

Yeah, he was struggling, limping around a lot, getting medical treatment. Cilic took the 4th, then as he broke serve to go up 2-0, Nadal immediately said that was enough and shook hands.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 06:31 AM)
Yeah, he was struggling, limping around a lot, getting medical treatment. Cilic took the 4th, then as he broke serve to go up 2-0, Nadal immediately said that was enough and shook hands.

Was it cramps? I read the heat is pretty awful there now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 08:17 AM)
Was it cramps? I read the heat is pretty awful there now.

That's what I assumed in his upper leg, but I had the sound off at the gym. He tweeted that he's getting an MRI tomorrow, so maybe it is something worse.

I think it was the Djokovic Monfils match that the on court temp was over 160 degrees and Monfils was going crazy from heat stroke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 07:28 AM)
And with one quick glance at a Twitter feed, the surprise American hero quickly becomes Public Enemy #1. #Welcometo2018

https://deadspin.com/chris-fowler-would-rea...-piz-1822363959

https://deadspin.com/tennys-sandgren-delete...e-wh-1822339688

Edited by Brian

• 2 months later...

The Laver Cup is at the UC in September, I'm pretty excited to try and attend, never been to a live tennis event.  Unfortunately, Ticketmaster sales are a complete crock as usual.  I had access to the Insider presale, the Chase presale, then the general public sale today.  Not a single ticket available for any session in the 200 or 300 level.  Just 100 level tickets galore, which range from $350-$400 for Friday during the day to $800+ for Sunday.  Ugh.

• 1 month later...

I don't care much for the French Open. Clay is tough to watch. That said, I took a look at the draw and saw a Cilic-Del Potro quarterfinal. Not two guys I'd expect to be this deep on clay. Pretty cool.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:55 PM, danman31 said:

I don't care much for the French Open. Clay is tough to watch. That said, I took a look at the draw and saw a Cilic-Del Potro quarterfinal. Not two guys I'd expect to be this deep on clay. Pretty cool.

I'm the same, it's my least favorite of the majors. Add in how slow  and deliberate Nadal plays, it's not very appealing.