Vaccinations

bmags

I just got back from vacation and am pretty alarmed at the Measles outbreak. This obviously is not epic proportions yet, but to see a disease come back after being defeated is very, very frustrating.

The reactions so far, have been predictable.

The worst being a certain amount of fradenscheude at the nonsensical anti-vaxxers. It would be fun to partake except actual very vulnerable children and elderly may die from this.

I'm happy to see real societal consequences being thrown at those who do not vaccinate their kids. They should have difficulty being admitted to public schools. They should see difficulty getting treatment from doctors.

The reactions I've read so far from the anti-vaccination league has been, predictably, victimization. Gain footing by acting oppressed, always a strongsuit.

It is almost comically scary they way they can deflect any criticism though. It reminds me of interactions with very, very unflattering group examples which probably aren't constructive to say.

But, deep down it hurts that something so ludicrous is going to kill helpless people. You'd think listening to them that the world has never seen an unhealthier time than 1950-2015. Before that was fine and dandy.

edit: here is the article that spawned it http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us/vacci...-share&_r=2

Edited by bmags

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have all the tools to inform people, but those same tools can misinform. While some people used to be underinformed, now they have all the information and then some - and choose wrongly. I research communication and science/risk communication is one of the field's biggest growing areas.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
We have all the tools to inform people, but those same tools can misinform. While some people used to be underinformed, now they have all the information and then some - and choose wrongly. I research communication and science/risk communication is one of the field's biggest growing areas.

Can't tell you how many patients come to the clinic with poor information from webMD or other web sources. I spend more time telling them why they are wrong in what they think they need to do as oppsed to treting them.

The other problem is workers comp patients. They can do so much research on what a problem should look like that it is getting tougher to pick them out.

One thing that leaves me somewhat hopeful...this happened before with Measles. Late 1980s there was a resurgence of the disease, in part associated with a increasing number of people who didn't get the vaccine. There were some changes in vaccine recommendations, but the reality is that watching kids with the Measles was enough to encourage people to actually do the vaccinations for literally 30 years.

84 cases of measles Since June is certainly sad and I'm glad it's getting media attention, and casting negative light in the insane antivaccers

Now can the media please turn more attention to the fact that in 2011 (most recent year with data per the CDC) 12,000 people were diagnosed with cervical cancer and 4000 people died from it. theres a vaccine that prevents people from getting cancer (think about that for a minute) and we can't get children vaccinated because some insane morons think it makes their sons and daughters more promiscuous. Such a huge public health issue - think about how huge the cost is to screen women with Pap smears, follow up biopsies, colposcopies, treating the cancers etc.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
No mention of the vast amount of illegal immigrants coming in who are bringing with them these diseases?

This isn't the problem. The problem is there's people who believe medical science is actually some conspiracy theory that will hurt their kids, when in reality, it does not and it's supposed to stop the spread of highly contagious diseases. Measles is one of the easiest diseases to prevent, yet there's crazy people who would rather have their kids live through it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
This isn't the problem. The problem is there's people who believe medical science is actually some conspiracy theory that will hurt their kids, when in reality, it does not and it's supposed to stop the spread of highly contagious diseases. It's one of the easiest diseases to prevent, yet there's crazy people who would rather have their kids live through it.

Which is a really common belief in many African and Islamic states and cultures.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
The most important aspect of anti-vaxxer idiocy is obviously Mexicans Africans and Muslims.

Americans are never at fault, blame it on foreign people, they're weird!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Americans are never at fault, blame it on foreign people, they're weird!

I never said either of those, you two took it to those extremes. but if you think it has zero to do with it, you are just living with your heads in the sand.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
I never said either of those, you two took it to those extremes. but if you think it has zero to do with it, you are just living with your heads in the sand.

You know, if "Americans can't be at fault, it's all the dirty mexicans" is "taking it to it an extreme", the original statement "no comment on all the immigrants bringing it in" seems to be pretty much on the exact same level to me.

Both of them look like satire. One of them was said seemingly believing it.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)

Because illegal immigrants can afford to let their kids go to Disneyland and spread Measles...sure.