Yet another "racial" confrontation with police, this time in

caulfield12

this time in Dallas/Ft. Worth area (McKinney, TX, very upper class suburb)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/07/us/mckinney-...lice/index.html

The main actions in question start around the 3:00 mark in the video

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-n...e-relations.ece

Dallas criminal defense lawyer Peter Schulte, who was not involved in the incident, said that after viewing the video he was most bothered by the actions Casebolt took in his role as a supervisor.

“This is a classic example of how something can escalate out of control very quickly by the actions of the officers, not by what was going on,” said Schulte, a former McKinney officer. Casebolt has been with the department since August 2005, according to his LinkedIn account, which had been deleted Sunday afternoon.

He is an instructor trainee at Executive Self-defense and Fitness in McKinney, where his online biography that had been removed listed him as having received in-depth training on impact weapon deployment, handcuffing, pressure point compliance and armed and unarmed self-defense. The biography stated that Casebolt has “a strong working knowledge of human behavior, indicators of deception, criminal behavior, the development of situational awareness and experience in the use of all levels of force.”

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have a cop trying to arrest someone and then you have other kids running up to him while his back is turned and/or his attention is on the person he is trying to arrest. Outnumbered, what do you expect him to do, just step back and say 'yeah, you can just go free, your friends who came running up on me convinced me of the error of my ways'? What do people expect when they run up challenging a cop? That is a serious question. Would YOU go running up to a cop and start getting in the middle if you were there? We don't know what was aid or done by that girl to warrant the take down. You can bet it had to be something, as all cops are aware of being filmed and s*** nowadays. And they are all also aware that there are people out there just killing cops. So when he takes her down, I feel it was all the people runnign up in there that escalated it. You have your phones, keep recording. By interjecting yourselves into that incident, YOU escalated it.

You're starting your response after Sergeant Rambo had f***ed everything up. The video starts out with a couple of kids returning the flashlight Sergeant Rambo dropped when he did his tactical roll to another officer. Everyone was talking peacefully until Rambo charged back over, shouting at everyone and throwing kids on the ground. He issued rapid, contradictory orders (stay put! sit down! get out of here!) to multiple people and continued to make everything substantially worse. His ego can't handle a 16 year old girl in a bikini talking s*** to him as she's walking away as he commanded, so he drags her back. After slamming the 16 year old girl in a bikini into the ground and dragging her around some more, some of her friends come towards her. Maybe they thought about protecting their friend from this violent, out of control man who was throwing her around and screaming at everyone. Rambo then panics again and draws his gun. He looks like he's about to use it until two not-crazy officers run up and stop him. This is exactly the sort of thing people mean when they talk about police unnecessarily escalating situations, making things worse and more dangerous for everyone involved.

As the videographer pointed out since then, it was only dark-skinned people that were being treated this way. The videographer, a white kid, was left to wander around doing whatever he wanted, seemingly invisible to Rambo. A bunch of middle-aged white men were also allowed to walk right up to Rambo as he held the girl on the ground and stand over her. This all started when a white woman began verbally assaulting one of the party-goers with racial slurs and, when the girl dared to talk back, physically assaulted her. Yet it was a bunch of black kids that were the focus of attention.

edit: I see no reason to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and "bet" that the 16 year old in a bikini did anything that warranted being dragged back and violently slammed to the ground. If this guy can't handle high-stress situations and can't handle a teenage girl saying mean things to him, then he has no business being a police officer. Being filmed didn't prevent that NYPD officer from killing Eric Garner with a choke hold.

Edited by StrangeSox

Yes, pretty zero blame for the teenagers reacting to an violent, out-of-control police officer who had just dragged their friend back and slammed her into the grass and then the pavement.

Given that the guy was obviously unable to handle the situation and he had a gun, it may not have been the smartest thing to do, but the blame still lies with the cop. He continually escalated the situation and became more and more violent as the incident went on until he was physically stopped by his fellow officers.

edit: also want to point out that there were 10 officers in total on the scene and at least two were right near by when he drew his gun. He may have been outnumbered by swimsuit and bikini-clad teenagers armed with towels, but it's not like he was actually alone.

Edited by StrangeSox

Was that tactical roll he did in the beginning on purpose or did he fall and was just trying to play it off?

He seemed to be pretty raged out. The other cop seemed to be doing fine just talking calmly with a group of the kids.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Was that tactical roll he did in the beginning on purpose or did he fall and was just trying to play it off?

He seemed to be pretty raged out. The other cop seemed to be doing fine just talking calmly with a group of the kids.

That did look kind of out of place, and he did seem out of control. Unless he was trying to be tacticool. Not denying any of that.

I finally sucked it up and watched the whole thing.

1. Why the hell does that cop do the roll in the first 10 seconds of the video? That was hilarious.

2. Yeah, that cop was out of control. When he finally targeted this girl, she was literally out of the picture. She was just one of several in her group who were all headed away from the scene as instructed. Of course, as others pointed out, the instructions were extremely contradictory. Don't run, get out of here, get on the ground, stop running. If I had to guess what happened, he probably heard this girl say something that especially pissed him off so he decided he would teach her not to talk to authorities that way.

Also, very interesting how they tell the black kid on the ground he can't go get his things but are completely unconcerned with the white cameraman doing what he pleases. The cameraman knows it too, because he offers to go get the kid's stuff for him.

Look this one is simple. The cop should be fired ... yesterday!

What an idiot. None of the other cops were acting like Barney Fife on steroids. Pinning that girl down in the bikini?? WTF. I don't care if those kids were uninvited brats, there's no excuse for that cop brutality on that young kid in the bikini.

Geez. Fire. Fife. Now!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
You're starting your response after Sergeant Rambo had f***ed everything up. The video starts out with a couple of kids returning the flashlight Sergeant Rambo dropped when he did his tactical roll to another officer. Everyone was talking peacefully until Rambo charged back over, shouting at everyone and throwing kids on the ground. He issued rapid, contradictory orders (stay put! sit down! get out of here!) to multiple people and continued to make everything substantially worse. His ego can't handle a 16 year old girl in a bikini talking s*** to him as she's walking away as he commanded, so he drags her back. After slamming the 16 year old girl in a bikini into the ground and dragging her around some more, some of her friends come towards her. Maybe they thought about protecting their friend from this violent, out of control man who was throwing her around and screaming at everyone. Rambo then panics again and draws his gun. He looks like he's about to use it until two not-crazy officers run up and stop him. This is exactly the sort of thing people mean when they talk about police unnecessarily escalating situations, making things worse and more dangerous for everyone involved.

As the videographer pointed out since then, it was only dark-skinned people that were being treated this way. The videographer, a white kid, was left to wander around doing whatever he wanted, seemingly invisible to Rambo. A bunch of middle-aged white men were also allowed to walk right up to Rambo as he held the girl on the ground and stand over her. This all started when a white woman began verbally assaulting one of the party-goers with racial slurs and, when the girl dared to talk back, physically assaulted her. Yet it was a bunch of black kids that were the focus of attention.

edit: I see no reason to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and "bet" that the 16 year old in a bikini did anything that warranted being dragged back and violently slammed to the ground. If this guy can't handle high-stress situations and can't handle a teenage girl saying mean things to him, then he has no business being a police officer. Being filmed didn't prevent that NYPD officer from killing Eric Garner with a choke hold.

Nice post. Captain Common Sense (me) says fire that cop now. No other cop had a problem controlling himself/herself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
Look this one is simple. The cop should be fired ... yesterday!

What an idiot. None of the other cops were acting like Barney Fife on steroids. Pinning that girl down in the bikini?? WTF. I don't care if those kids were uninvited brats, there's no excuse for that cop brutality on that young kid in the bikini.

Geez. Fire. Fife. Now!

The kids were invited or actually live there, it was a racist white woman throwing around racial slurs at a bunch of teenagers and then hitting one of them that started it all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
The kids were invited or actually live there, it was a racist white woman throwing around racial slurs at a bunch of teenagers and then hitting one of them that started it all.

Thi story suggests that it was that and other things, like kids NOT living there, being unruly, accosting a security guard, etc. And they can all be invited if they want, but the pool rules were only TWO invitees per resident. So if the 'organizer' invited the 70+ people, then she broke the rules, and they were not allowed to be there. There are also rumors that the DJ was tweeting out the party invite as well, along with trying to charge people.

In a Facebook post, Michael Quattrin, who lives in the Craig Ranch community, disputed that race played a factor in what happened.

According to Quattrin, a DJ had set up shop near the pool and had been playing music loudly for hours. He claimed that teens began “fighting with each other and pushing their way into our private pool.”

“Some were jumping our fence. The security guard was accosted when he tried to stop the beginnings of this mob scene. Some residents who live around the park/pool area tried to come out and settle things down,” he added. “This was a very dangerous situation for the officers AND the teens/residents not involved.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning...-with-neighbor/

What that cop did was stupid and dangerous. I just find it odd that you can't see how other parties in this also f***ed up to the point that they helped cause and/or escalate things. In your eyes, cop did wrong, nothing else matters. I can see cop did wrong, can see others did as well.

"they broke the pool rules!" is not a justification for throwing racial slurs at and assaulting teenagers. Given that that guy quoted above doesn't see how race would be a factor in explicit racial slurs and the discrepancy in the way we saw everyone treated on film, I'm inclined to not really care what he has to say.

Teenagers swearing at a grown man with a badge and a gun is not an excuse for reckless behavior and assaulting a teenager. You say you see both sides but your first post was only about how the kids escalated the situation and how threatening it was for the police officer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
http://news.yahoo.com/mckinney-police-pool...-121117251.html

You can tell from the comments of various city officials and the fact that only one of the teenagers was even detained/arrested that the McKinney mayor's office is preparing for a huge civil lawsuit.

Great point caulfield. I hope the girl in the bikini gets college paid for 75 times over with the settlement she should receive because of the actions of Barney Fife reincarnated.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
"they broke the pool rules!" is not a justification for throwing racial slurs at and assaulting teenagers. Given that that guy quoted above doesn't see how race would be a factor in explicit racial slurs and the discrepancy in the way we saw everyone treated on film, I'm inclined to not really care what he has to say.

Teenagers swearing at a grown man with a badge and a gun is not an excuse for reckless behavior and assaulting a teenager. You say you see both sides but your first post was only about how the kids escalated the situation and how threatening it was for the police officer.

And yours was basically f*** the Police.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:09 AM)
And yours was basically f*** the Police.

Alpha Dog what is your take on the fact only one cop (Fife) was acting like a maniac? All the other police seemed calm as this one cop was going berserk. Also how do you condone him roughing up the kid in the bikini. I mean WTF? Again, the other cops were calm. One cop freaking out. Bizarre and a fireable offense for taking out his gun and kneeing the girl in the back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 12:44 AM)
Alpha Dog what is your take on the fact only one cop (Fife) was acting like a maniac? All the other police seemed calm as this one cop was going berserk. Also how do you condone him roughing up the kid in the bikini. I mean WTF? Again, the other cops were calm. One cop freaking out. Bizarre and a fireable offense for taking out his gun and kneeing the girl in the back.

The only argument for his behavior is the two kids sneaking around to his side when he was corralling the girl...he was justified at that point to draw his gun, PERHAPS, but none of the other officers were acting like it was a "life and death" situation, not even close to it.

That said, the situation with a girl in a bikini (who obviously wasn't presenting a physical threat to him) it's nearly impossible to defend the fact that he escalated it well beyond what the situation warranted.

If her actions were so egregious, then one of the other police officers would have taken his side, supported him and made sure a "clean" arrest was made. That didn't happen in this case (she was released to her mom's custody), causing us all to wonder as a result. The fact that she was only 15 years old (and 17-19) doesn't exactly help his case, either.

Some white Craig Ranch residents said they were so frightened about the reaction that they were packing up and leaving their homes temporarily. Some black Craig Ranch residents called for sharp action against the police and held two protests Monday evening.

As to the specific incident that sparked everything...

About that time, a fight broke out between the 19-year-old who helped organize the party and an older white woman, Ladariene said.

The narrative of that fight is also a matter of dispute. A video was widely distributed on conservative websites as evidence that some of the teens were violent. But in an interview posted on YouTube, Tatyana Rhodes, who is black and lives in Craig Ranch, told a photojournalist that another woman, who is white, “was saying things such as ‘black [expletive],’ and ‘That’s why you live in Section 8 homes,’” before slapping her in the face.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-n...ice-officer.ece

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-n...party-video.ece

Celebrity reactions.

Shonda Rhimes, creator of hit TV shows Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, tweeted a series of questions she said the video raised, including, “When will a group of kids of color together stop being seen as a gang/mob and start being seen as AMERICANS.”

“If my daughter EVER disrespected authority, whether a teacher, officer or elder, I’d put her face in the ground myself!” Detective Angela Arredondo posted.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:44 AM)

I don't condone what he did for the most part. Why do you think the mere act of pulling out his gun is fireable? Those kids were coming up on him while he was occupied, they were a threat. Yeah, he pretty much took the situation to 11 with his actions towards the girl, but who tries to rush a cop? I seem to remember recently some 'gentle giant' tried that and hit the cop, tried to steal a gun...

Even assuming that they were a threat, not every threat warrants deadly force. He had "30 pounds of gear" on him, surely some of it was non lethal.

What if one of those kids had taken a swing at him? Would that have justified shooting them in your mind?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Even assuming that they were a threat, not every threat warrants deadly force. He had "30 pounds of gear" on him, surely some of it was non lethal.

What if one of those kids had taken a swing at him? Would that have justified shooting them in your mind?

I would have had zero problem with him pulling his gun if they took a swing at him. Would have been better had he pulled a nightstick or something, but if it were escalated to violence from them, then yes. What same person rushes a cop? Especially one that you see is acting crazy?

Edited by Alpha Dog

Regardless of what they were really trying to do, the argument in her civil case will be that they were her friends and trying to protect her from a "out of control" policeman they felt might harm their 15 year old friend who just happened to be wearing a bikini...whether people like it or not, the image of a guy weighing twice as much using that much force and twisting her arm and throwing her back down to the ground isn't going to win him much sympathy.

The other thing here is the officers responding had no way of identifying what teens exactly were causing the problem...because by all reports the majority had been invited, and the problem started where other kids came over the fence when they heard the confrontation with the white woman and the girl who organized the event. This wasn't a case of an "all white" party where a bunch of black teens just came and took it over...the majority of the kids who were there at the b-day party were invited...and it seems the main problem arose when the parents took exception to the behavior of some of the kids. Not only did the police officer observe bad judgment, but surely there was a more polite way to address the partygoers than the tact she took which is to attack them directly with verbal taunts/insults. Adults should know better than to start a fight or confrontation with kids. She should have gotten someone in a more official capacity involved before she took matters into her own hands.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
Regardless of what they were really trying to do, the argument in her civil case will be that they were her friends and trying to protect her from a "out of control" policeman they felt might harm their 15 year old friend who just happened to be wearing a bikini...whether people like it or not, the image of a guy weighing twice as much using that much force and twisting her arm and throwing her back down to the ground isn't going to win him much sympathy.

The other thing here is the officers responding had no way of identifying what teens exactly were causing the problem...because by all reports the majority had been invited, and the problem started where other kids came over the fence when they heard the confrontation with the white woman and the girl who organized the event. This wasn't a case of an "all white" party where a bunch of black teens just came and took it over...the majority of the kids who were there at the b-day party were invited...and it seems the main problem arose when the parents took exception to the behavior of some of the kids. Not only did the police officer observe bad judgment, but surely there was a more polite way to address the partygoers than the tact she took which is to attack them directly with verbal taunts/insults. Adults should know better than to start a fight or confrontation with kids. She should have gotten someone in a more official capacity involved before she took matters into her own hands.

From what I have both read and heard, it was a (black) security guard that called the police, when he couldn't keep people from coming in. They claimed they were invited, but there are only TWO people per resident allowed in the pool area, and people were getting mad they weren't allowed in. The 'host' invited a hundred people to a pool where she only had permission to invite 2. Yeah, not gonna be any problems there...