What are the scouts saying about the free agent cubans?

Cubano

The English is fine if you just get rid of the question mark.

"Two scouts with American League organizations independently arrived at the same conclusion about Iglesias, an 18-year-old middle infielder. Both compared him to Orlando Cabrera for his batting stance, infield actions and offensive potential. "He’s a stud," one of the scouts said. "He’s a plus run and plus arm Orlando Cabrera clone. He’s got a quick bat but I didn’t see much power."

I like the sound of that.

1) Kenny Williams' success with Ramirez just drove up the price of Viciedo big-time I think

2) The White Sox will not easily be able to sneak out with one of these guys...I wouldn't be shocked if we get outbid for all of them. Unless that player really targets the White Sox (because of the success of Contreras, El Duque and Ramirez) and says to Torres, that's where I want to play, kind of what Fukudome did with the Cubs.

3) I don't know what, if any, role someone like Contreras, Guillen or Ramirez could have in getting one of these guys. ???

4) Viciedo would be the obvious choice right now

5) It also sounds like there's a lot of US Department of State, passport, citizenship/clearance issues to go muddle through...the other problem would be signing Viciedo and then him not being able to come to Spring Training or missing part of the season. The scouting department would really need to stay on top of that, and, from marrying a Russian, I know how complicated and unresponsive the government can be with visas. Especially with Cubans...so let's not get our hopes up yet until we hear something substantive about their status.

6) I love the way Cubans and Japanese play baseball, the positive impact on the White Sox this decade, and hope for more of the same. Especially the Cubans, because of their natural flair and athleticism. They're not very patient hitters (you don't get noticed in the DR, PR or Cuba for taking walks or having a high OBP!!!), but they bring a lot of interesting abilities and fundamentals training (especially those who grow up essentially playing on the national team) that US players seem to be lacking today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
Anyone know of any talk of Leslie Anderson defecting? I know he's huge over there, like superstar huge, leading me to believe that the scenario is unlikley, but if he did he's quite the talent.

What kind of name is Leslie?

I know Vladimir Guerrero was named after a Russian who was part of the presence there in Cuba/Caribbean during the Cold War (specifically 1961-1962), but I wonder if his name is because someone saw the Naked Gun umpiring sequence with Reggie Jackson and thought he should be named after Leslie Nielsen.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
I think having a Spanish speaking manager may be a big plus for the ChiSox. Communication and rapport is very important between a player specially a new player and the manager.

It hasn't paid off yet for us in Venezuela...but there's hope yet.

I think some fans thought Ozzie would magically be able to get Miggy Cabrera here by waving a magic wand.

I do think his being a Spanish manager has led to some problems/confrontations with O-Cabrera. On the other hand, he's been a very good influence with Jose, Contreras has felt much more comfortable here than in NYC (also because of El Duque) and he also seems to have a great relationship with Alexei Ramirez (but that's more because of the way he plays the game, IMO, than his language). We'll see what happens if they get a Venezuelan. KW targeted Omar Vizquel for 2-3 off-seasons.

I also think it's interesting that some of the players who were no longer wanted/had a falling out with the Sox were two of our best Latin players, Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez. Everyone liked and got along well with Jose Valentin...who was the kind of leader that O-Cabrera never became with this club.

That said, it's not like NCAA basketball or football where this gives one a huge advantage...he's not an African-American coach like Jimmy Collins mining gold from the Chicago Public League.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
What kind of name is Leslie?

A very manly one. I've been fascinated by the guy ever since i read a great article on cuban baseball by, Michael (Moneyball) Lewis. He's a 1B/CF. Whos's just an all-around athlete

Here are the season stats i was able to get for him.

SEASON G TEAM TPA AB R H AVG 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB HBP SO SB CS

7 689 CMG 2884 2498 394 794 0.318 152 16 60 389 1158 295 48 307 35 37

Sadly, i've heard very little about him since , and given his huge status over in Cuba. (he was one of Fidel's favorites) The chances of ever seeing him make the trip over here are doubtful.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
A very manly one. I've been fascinated by the guy ever since i read a great article on cuban baseball by, Michael (Moneyball) Lewis.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feature...currentPage=all :P

I keep meaning to read it, I've been told by a number of people that it's a great article.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
It hasn't paid off yet for us in Venezuela...but there's hope yet.

I think some fans thought Ozzie would magically be able to get Miggy Cabrera here by waving a magic wand.

I do think his being a Spanish manager has led to some problems/confrontations with O-Cabrera. On the other hand, he's been a very good influence with Jose, Contreras has felt much more comfortable here than in NYC (also because of El Duque) and he also seems to have a great relationship with Alexei Ramirez (but that's more because of the way he plays the game, IMO, than his language). We'll see what happens if they get a Venezuelan. KW targeted Omar Vizquel for 2-3 off-seasons.

I also think it's interesting that some of the players who were no longer wanted/had a falling out with the Sox were two of our best Latin players, Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez. Everyone liked and got along well with Jose Valentin...who was the kind of leader that O-Cabrera never became with this club.

That said, it's not like NCAA basketball or football where this gives one a huge advantage...he's not an African-American coach like Jimmy Collins mining gold from the Chicago Public League.

A player needs to gain confidence from his manager. I take Angels 1B/outfielder Kendry Morales. He put better numbers than Casey Kotchman in the minors and in winter ball. He is a switch hitter with some power. He has been confined to the minors ahead of Kotchman, Juan Rivera and Rob Quinlan. When he hit in the big league level, he is benched right away. He has been sent to the minors for the last two years. Then he is called up and he is put in the playoffs roster. Believe me! I follow these guys closely. Hopefully, next year Kendry will be in the team the whole year as a regular.

The Yankees and/or Red Sox wil get them all, but maybe Florida will sneak in there. I will be surprised if the Marlins don't go after the Cuban ball players big time. But, snide remarks about the Yanks and Bosox aside I do hope KW tries for a couple of those players. I think it would do a lot to infuse some new and exciting talent into our system.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
The Yankees and/or Red Sox wil get them all, but maybe Florida will sneak in there. I will be surprised if the Marlins don't go after the Cuban ball players big time.

I think the players will be influenced by the agent... who happens to have a great relationship with the Sox.

And I think they will be highly influenced by Alexei's situation.... the fact the Sox gave him a chance to play at the major league level right away.

Add in that the Sox already have Cuban players on the team to help ease the new guys transition.

I think it adds up to us being a serious contender for these guys.

I would guess that different organizations have reputations that we would not know from living in the US and not being players. We can guess at what those reputations are, but I would say they are probably wrong.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
I think the players will be influenced by the agent... who happens to have a great relationship with the Sox.

And I think they will be highly influenced by Alexei's situation.... the fact the Sox gave him a chance to play at the major league level right away.

Add in that the Sox already have Cuban players on the team to help ease the new guys transition.

I think it adds up to us being a serious contender for these guys.

Bingo!

Cuban players and their agents are beginning to understand that many times is better to take less money upfront and play right away in the big leagues than taking big money from the big market teams which send them to the minors.

Yuniesky Betancourt and Alexei Ramirez signed with teams that allowed them to play in the big leagues quickly. Betancourt already sign a big extension. If Betancourt would had signed with the Yanks, he would be still in the minors.

Do not count the Sox out! They have inside info about this cuban players from Contreras and Alexei not to say the same agent.

Omar Linares is now the hitting coach for Industriales Lions, one of the team from Havana City. He is from Pinar del Rio. Usually, cuban players and coaches play and manage for their hometown team. Luis Giraldo Casanova, one of the greatest cuban players post-1959 will manage the Pinar del Rio Green Sox. After Casanova retired, he went away from baseball. I believe it has been around 18 years that Casanova was not working in baseball. He is the favorite player of Jose Contreras. Casanova was right fielder with a cannon for an arm. His nickname was "el Señor Pelotero"( Mr. Baseball).

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Omar Linares is now the hitting coach for Industriales Lions, one of the team from Havana City. He is from Pinar del Rio. Usually, cuban players and coaches play and manage for their hometown team.

He was kidding.

Dayan Viciedo Defects From Cuba

By Nat Boyle [June 8, 2008 at 9:37am CST]

12:45pm Baseball America's John Manuel has a solid write up on Viciedo and his free agent status. Agent Jamie Torres says, "He was processed at the end of May. To me, he was not drafted and should be an undrafted free agent. We’ll see if the union agrees with me." The catch here is whether or not Viciedo is subject to the rules of the draft now that he's in the U.S. Had he gone to the Dominican Republic, for example, he could be a free agent. Since teams weren't informed of his eligibility to be signed or drafted, his status remains to be determined. Manuel also presents mixed reviews of Viciedo's potential, but his hitting ability is not in question.

According to Jorge Ebro and Wilfredo Cancio Isla of the Miami Herald, Dayan Viciedo, a 19 year old Cuban ballplayer, has defected from his home country and arrived in Miami with renewed motivation. This is a new name for me, but Ebro and Cancio shed some light on the arrival of a promising new talent:

"Born March 10, 1989... Viciedo is regarded as the best Cuban baseball player in the past eight years after Kendry Morales, who defected in 2004 and now plays in the Los Angeles Angels' system.

'Dayán is going to spark a lot of talk in the majors,'' said his agent, Puerto Rican lawyer Jaime Torres, 'He has arrived with youth, he is very versatile and his conditioning is exceptional. We will soon see him wearing the uniform of a major league team.'"

Viciedo is 6'2", 202 lbs capable of playing SS, 3B, and OF. According to the Havana Journal, at 16 he was the youngest Cuban All Star in history. At 18, he was chosen to play in the World Baseball Classic in the U.S. and is often compared to Omar Linares, one of the greatest Cuban players of all time. Baseball in Cuba has been on continued decline without motivated players.

No word on interested teams yet. Anyone have any more insight on Viciedo?

By Nat Boyle (www.mlbtraderumors.com)

I first watched Viciedo play as a 16-year old in Cuba. He was a shortstop with great range and a strong arm, but was moved to third base because Villa Clara's shortstop, Paret, is a star with cuba's National Team.

The comment that Cuban baseball is in decline is absurd. The most recent season was perhhaps the best ever and featured some stellar performances by players who would star in the major leagues. Santaigo's right fielder, Alexei Bell, set league records with 31 home runs and 111 RBI. (The Cuban season is only 90 games.) Whoever claims that Cuban ballplayers are not motivated has, clearly, never seen a game in Cuba.

Earlier this year I watched Santiago de Cuba play Industriales in Havana. The rivalry of these teams is every bit as intense as that between the Yankees and Red Sox. American baseball fans with me at the game commented that it was the best baseball that they ahd ever seen.

Cuban finished second in the 2006 World Baseball Classic. They will field an oustanding team in 2009.

Kit Krieger

The A's are leading the charge for international free agent pitcher Michael Inoa; they could offer him $4MM. All teams have scouted him.

MLB.com's Jim Molony names the Astros, Yankees, Cardinals, Angels, Mets, and Pirates as teams considering Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo (assuming he becomes a free agent). According to another article I've read, a total of 14 teams have already made contact with Viciedo through his agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3433834

Above...very good summary of the top Latin (minus Cuban) prospects in the world for MLB, ranked in order

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
The English is fine if you just get rid of the question mark.

"Two scouts with American League organizations independently arrived at the same conclusion about Iglesias, an 18-year-old middle infielder. Both compared him to Orlando Cabrera for his batting stance, infield actions and offensive potential. "He’s a stud," one of the scouts said. "He’s a plus run and plus arm Orlando Cabrera clone. He’s got a quick bat but I didn’t see much power."

I like the sound of that.

Sign him...Sign him...Sign him. Put him with Beckham and you could have a nice SS/2B combo with Beckham at 2B.

Cubano, if you'd like to speak in spanish I'm in my fourth year of learning spanish and can try to help translate to the other posters.

Also, what's the word on Viciedo? By this I mean how does he play? I saw a little about his fielding, but what about his offense? Does he project to be a big leaguer soon?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
The A's are leading the charge for international free agent pitcher Michael Inoa; they could offer him $4MM. All teams have scouted him.

MLB.com's Jim Molony names the Astros, Yankees, Cardinals, Angels, Mets, and Pirates as teams considering Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo (assuming he becomes a free agent). According to another article I've read, a total of 14 teams have already made contact with Viciedo through his agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3433834

Above...very good summary of the top Latin (minus Cuban) prospects in the world for MLB, ranked in order

This is pretty old, most, if not all of those prospects have already signed.