it feels like 2005 again

AirScott

I hope this week wasn't just a taste of last year, because now this team is really starting to play like they had last year. we had the see-saw win vs. the Yankees, and even in the loss we were 90 feet from tying the game...after being down 7-0 and no-hit through 6. then in today's game vs. the Tigers, we took advantage of every mistake and won one we shouldn't have. it may be too early to say, but this team seems to be coming together and playing the way we did en route to our 2005 World Series win.

I don't think this team is any better than they've been most of the year. In 05 we had studly pitching pretty much all season, aside from a handful of starts we have not had that at all this year.

Count was awesome, Vaz had an aweosme start two turns ago, but you know what, consistent QS's is what makes a team dangerous and we have yet to show that we can do it.

Till than, I'll just continue to assume we will not make any noise (even if we do get in).

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
well the pitching has been inconsistent, and I can't imagine our bullpen (or any bullpen, really) matching the success of our 2005 pen, but there's no reason our starters can't become better than dependable.

I actually like this bullpen better (that's on the premise that Cotts can regain a little '05 form). To me right now...he's the most undependable. But the combo of Thornton, Mac and Bobby...wow! I hoping that with the Count's performance...the rest of the staff takes a cue and feeds off of it. Mark was sharp today.

I'm seeing some signs of life, like MB having a couple decent starts lately, Vaz looking real sharp last time out, scoring some runs without bombs, stuff like that.

They appear to be past the post-All Star Game misery, and I'm excited to see what this team can do once they get consistent starting pitching.

Just go get 'em tomorrow, close that gap to 5 and 1/2 and let the Kitties know you're there!!!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't think this team is any better than they've been most of the year. In 05 we had studly pitching pretty much all season, aside from a handful of starts we have not had that at all this year.

Count was awesome, Vaz had an aweosme start two turns ago, but you know what, consistent QS's is what makes a team dangerous and we have yet to show that we can do it.

Till than, I'll just continue to assume we will not make any noise (even if we do get in).

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Who pissed in your Cheerios?

I just call it like I see it. All season long I waited and waited for the pitching to do what it was supposed to and now I'm at the point where they are going to have to prove to me (and the league) that they have made strides and are getting better.

Too many people just assume our pitchers can turn on a magic switch and while I hate being a pessimist, I see myself more as a realist and the bottom line is unless our pitching continues to improve and gets things turned around (which I've long said is very possible, especially since I've been the guy preaching Javier Vazquez as of late) its all going to be a moot point (even if we do get in the playoffs).

Of course, I'd be the first to admit that this year (sans the Angels who may not get in) no team really has a dominate rotation (I do not think the Tigers have one, especially since I expect Verlander to wear down and I'm not a fan of Roberson or the last man in there pen).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
I just call it like I see it. All season long I waited and waited for the pitching to do what it was supposed to and now I'm at the point where they are going to have to prove to me (and the league) that they have made strides and are getting better.

Too many people just assume our pitchers can turn on a magic switch and while I hate being a pessimist, I see myself more as a realist and the bottom line is unless our pitching continues to improve and gets things turned around (which I've long said is very possible, especially since I've been the guy preaching Javier Vazquez as of late) its all going to be a moot point (even if we do get in the playoffs).

Of course, I'd be the first to admit that this year (sans the Angels who may not get in) no team really has a dominate rotation (I do not think the Tigers have one, especially since I expect Verlander to wear down and I'm not a fan of Roberson or the last man in there pen).

I agree that they have not fired on all cylinders as a rotation at all this year. However, their history suggests that they are much better pitchers than they have displayed this season. I feel that the pitchers we have been seeing the past week or two are more towards what we should expect than what they had been doing previously.

I expect to see some more quality starts out of this rotation. If Garcia can just get it under control I think we have a chance of going off on a very decent run as far as pithing goes.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)

Pitching as good and as clutch as the '05 Sox don't come around often. To rake through the World Series it took historical performances (I.E. El Duque nailing Boston with the sacks packed, 4 straight CG's in the ALCS). Last season was magical. 11-1 in the playoffs is pretty damn rare.

You may not see that type of consistency this season, but they're starting to prove they have a knack for winning the big ball games. Every team is due a bad stretch at least once through the season (Detroit might be seeing theirs now), and the way I see it, the Sox were lucky to have theirs in July and not September. One more win tomorrow and the Sox have crawled back into the division race. Three weeks ago this looked impossible. You have to hand it to pitchers for battling and the offense for raking. I don't think pitching defines a playoff contender, I think winning the big game does.

There are lots of similarities right now b/w the Tigers and what we went thru at this point last season.

We need to keep the pressure on them right now, and keep winning series after series. Doesn't matter if it's 2 out of 3, just find a way to keep winnin em.

Fantastic oppurtunity to take another game off that lead with Miner on the hill, and he hasn't been good.

If Freddy can only give up 3 or 4ER, that might be enough for us, but the offense will have to do their job as well, which they have all season long. Hopefully that trend continues. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
There are lots of similarities right now b/w the Tigers and what we went thru at this point last season.

We need to keep the pressure on them right now, and keep winning series after series. Doesn't matter if it's 2 out of 3, just find a way to keep winnin em.

Fantastic oppurtunity to take another game off that lead with Miner on the hill, and he hasn't been good.

If Freddy can only give up 3 or 4ER, that might be enough for us, but the offense will have to do their job as well, which they have all season long. Hopefully that trend continues. :)

I wouldn't say there are a lot of similarities, maybe a few. The Sox had a 12 game lead (13 in the loss column) over Cleveland on August 13th. Detroit only has us by 6.5 (6 in the loss column). That is a huge difference. Also, the Sox only played Cleveland 6 times after August 1st going 4-2. Cleveland was making up ground without beating us, the Sox can actually do damage both ways.

I agree that as long as the Sox keep winning series they are going to chip away at this lead. 8 more games vs Detroit, winning 5 at this point would be huge.

Hopefully Ozzie won't leave Freddy in for the token 3 run 6th/7th inning.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)

well every pessimist sees themself as a realist, that's evidence that they do have an optimistic side. and all along I've been eyeing a Tigers collapse in the second half, Rogers always gets rocked and Todd Jones is awful, that's bound to bite them in their collective asses.

We had a magical run from our pitchers last year and I don't think anyone expected them to duplicate that, which is why KW tried to bolster the offense and not lean so heavily on the starters.

When it comes down to a playoff type situation in the regular season, it's hard to imagine that the last 6 games don't fit that bill. Our starters stepped up for the most part and the team won 5 of 6.

To me, that's a very encouraging sign.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
well every pessimist sees themself as a realist, that's evidence that they do have an optimistic side. and all along I've been eyeing a Tigers collapse in the second half, Rogers always gets rocked and Todd Jones is awful, that's bound to bite them in their collective asses.

I wouldn't call reducing a 10-game lead to 5.5-game lead a "collapse."

I don't know that it's 2005 again, but it does feel like the team is playing like a complete team again. The starters are battling, the "turnips" (hitters 8, 9, 1 and 2) are contributing offensively, and we are taking advantage of mistakes by the other team.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
I wouldn't call reducing a 10-game lead to 5.5-game lead a "collapse."

Funny, if the Sox had that happen, this entire forum would be saying that they have no balls, were choking, and that the season was over.

Even funnier, thats what it was like around here a few weeks ago.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Funny, if the Sox had that happen, this entire forum would be saying that they have no balls, were choking, and that the season was over.

Even funnier, thats what it was like around here a few weeks ago.

....And about Sept 15th, 2005.