Various Races

pettie4sox

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
I'd've probably voted for Dillard over Quinn. Not Rauner though.

What is wrong with Rauner? I need to do my research on the candidates but I'm somewhat tired of the Illinois democratic machine.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:08 AM)
What is wrong with Rauner. I need to do my research on the candidates but I'm somewhat tired of the Illinois democratic machine.

ANYONE but Quinn IMO. This guy is a bonehead, typical IL politician. I'm pretty sick of most IL politicians, from the inept alderman all the way up to govs we continuously elect time after time.

For a state with taxes up the ass, fees on top of fees for everything, money generating red light cameras, they're one of the worst states in the union when it comes to credit rating and debt...and there is no excuse for it all of those things considered. If anything, IL should be one of the richest states in the union.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
I've always been a fan of Dan Rutherford, but I know him personally. Doesn't look like he has a chance after the "scandal." That alone makes me not want to vote for Rauner

I like the things Rauner "says", but we all know better when it comes to what they'll actually "do", and what they actually "mean" after they're in office.

I hate when politicians promise things you KNOW they won't or can't deliver on, because the rest of the state government would never pass such laws.

That said, IL doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to governors.

I'm just sick of all the added fees, taxes, and money generating schemes they've implemented around the state, when despite all of these increases, we find ourselves in more debt, and our credit rating getting cut year after year. Since buying my house in 2007, my property taxes have doubled, yet nothing has changed. The pension system is still an unfunded mess, the entire state is in debt, etc. It just gets old after a while when you realize none of the added money is actually doing anything other than disappearing into the connected peoples pockets.

Your property taxes aren't set by the state. The governor has zero to do with that.

Durbin will crush Oberweis, but the race for governor will probably be pretty close. Quinn has been very mediocre and Rauner doesn't seem to want to carry the social conservative baggage with him that could hurt him in some of the suburban areas.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
Your property taxes aren't set by the state. The governor has zero to do with that.

Durbin will crush Oberweis, but the race for governor will probably be pretty close. Quinn has been very mediocre and Rauner doesn't seem to want to carry the social conservative baggage with him that could hurt him in some of the suburban areas.

Property taxes were just used as an example.

Our state institutes it's own taxes and fees in it's own way, yet no difference is ever made. Instituting taxes on businesses that simply pass it on to the tax payers doesn't help much, either. Nickle and diming the middle class into the lower class won't do much to help their cause.

Edited by Y2HH

IIRC some of the budget gap was closed with the temporary income tax increase (which is set to expire this year IIRC). Plus, they passed that big pension reform bill last year, but that's in the courts and could be declared unconstitutional.

I didn't really pay attention to to Republican primary (other than getting spammed by IEA flyers), but one thing I did hear reported several times was that Rauner hasn't really presented any sort of plan or policy at this point other than some platitudes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)

It sucks those are our two options since both are incredibly corrupt. Business as usual in Illinois.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
ANYONE but Quinn IMO. This guy is a bonehead, typical IL politician. I'm pretty sick of most IL politicians, from the inept alderman all the way up to govs we continuously elect time after time.

For a state with taxes up the ass, fees on top of fees for everything, money generating red light cameras, they're one of the worst states in the union when it comes to credit rating and debt...and there is no excuse for it all of those things considered. If anything, IL should be one of the richest states in the union.

Not that it's terribly relevant, but these were ruled unconstitutional in South Dakota based on a statute that states the notice must be given to you in person by an issuing officer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Not that it's terribly relevant, but these were ruled unconstitutional in South Dakota based on a statute that states the notice must be given to you in person by an issuing officer.

It's being challenged here as well. I got a warning in Morton grove i think instead of a ticket.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)

They are. Using cameras to generate revenue is just wrong. Everyone breaks the law in the vehicle at some point. Should it cost them $100 because a camera caught them? Hell no. Illinois needs to get it's act together. This s*** has been going on too long and quite frankly it's embarrassing.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
They are. Using cameras to generate revenue is just wrong. Everyone breaks the law in the vehicle at some point. Should it cost them $100 because a camera caught them? Hell no. Illinois needs to get it's act together. This s*** has been going on too long and quite frankly it's embarrassing.

Legalize marijuana for the tax relief.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
FWIW the speed cameras have generated significantly less revenue than originally projected. I'm guessing the camera system vendor gave them a nice, fat number that justified the cost of the fancy new camera system.

No I believe it was Rahm's team that came up with the projection and the actual has been a small percentage, not to mention the extreme corruption and bribery that went on when selecting the vendor.

Meanwhile Colorado is making as much off of Marijuana taxes each month as they are on liquor taxes. They are projecting about 70 million in revenue this year.

Just sayin

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
No I believe it was Rahm's team that came up with the projection and the actual has been a small percentage, not to mention the extreme corruption and bribery that went on when selecting the vendor.

Meanwhile Colorado is making as much off of Marijuana taxes each month as they are on liquor taxes. They are projecting about 70 million in revenue this year.

Just sayin

Preach!

And Rauner has said he wants to run Illinois just like Scott Walker and Mitch Daniels ran their states. Not sure if that will appeal to people or not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
FWIW the speed cameras have generated significantly less revenue than originally projected. I'm guessing the camera system vendor gave them a nice, fat number that justified the cost of the fancy new camera system.

I like how if it "works" by reducing the breaking of the law, then we can no longer afford to have it/nobody wants to have it because it wasn't the purpose of its implementation. The commercialization of public life for you

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Preach!

And Rauner has said he wants to run Illinois just like Scott Walker and Mitch Daniels ran their states. Not sure if that will appeal to people or not.

The best thing going for him is he is facing Pat Quinn. I dont believe either one of them has a plan that makes sense and both have a history of being close to corruption.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
I like how if it "works" by reducing the breaking of the law, then we can no longer afford to have it/nobody wants to have it because it wasn't the purpose of its implementation. The commercialization of public life for you

If its effective it literally costs more money than we are making so we are paying for a service that was supposed to generate revenue.

I still am shocked that this made sense to the folks who approved it. When I am looking for a revenue stream I am looking for something that is self sustaining. They are essentially going to be upside down on a car loan.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Preach!

My property taxes are capped at 1% by the state of Indiana. That would appeal to lots of people.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
My property taxes are capped at 1% by the state of Indiana. That would appeal to lots of people.

How can we afford all of great social programs then?

That 1% is making me salivate even though I don't own.