The Beheading

greg775

James Foley is beheaded by ISIS. This is beyond horrifying. The other journalist there will have the same fate.

The inhumanity of this and the other beheadings depresses me beyond no end. I am so freaked out by this and the Ferguson situation and the economy here and globally, not to mention Putin and the North Korean bastard asshole, it makes me think things will never get better in the world, that our world's best days are over. Can anyone get me off the ledge?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
James Foley is beheaded by ISIS. This is beyond horrifying. The other journalist there will have the same fate.

The inhumanity of this and the other beheadings depresses me beyond no end. I am so freaked out by this and the Ferguson situation and the economy here and globally, not to mention Putin and the North Korean bastard asshole, it makes me think things will never get better in the world, that our world's best days are over. Can anyone get me off the ledge?

Don't watch White Sox games where the bullpen has a lead from the 7th inning onwards?

Follow the Royals instead?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)

But don't mention Islam or Muslims or else you will probably be called a racist. (Even though it isn't a race.)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)

Yes. Play more golf.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:01 PM)
GMAFB.

Those same people in the Middle East are probably watching Al-jazeera news...asking, "Is this really the way they STILL treat non-white people in the US? Didn't they learn anything from Hurricane Katrina?"

That America is a REALLY scary place. Everyone has a gun. Every month or so, some random person will go into a school and try to blow it up or kill as many students and teachers as possible. All the kids are fat and addicted to McDonald's and playing computer games.

Edited by caulfield12

A billion people died on the news tonight

But not so many cried at the terrible sight

Well mama said

It's just make believe

You can't believe everything you see

So baby close your eyes to the lullabies

On the news tonight

Who's the one to decide that it would be alright

To put the music behind the news tonight

Well mama said

You can't believe everything you hear

The diagetic world is so unclear

So baby close your ears

On the news tonight

On the news tonight

The unobtrusive tones on the news tonight

And mama said

Why don't the newscasters cry when they read about people who die?

At least they could be decent enough to put just a tear in their eyes

Mama said

It's just make believe

You cant believe everything you see

So baby close your eyes to the lullabies

On the news tonight

---

You could also be the one posting lyrics to a Jack Johnson song. That would be way worse.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Those same people in the Middle East are probably watching Al-jazeera news...asking, "Is this really the way they STILL treat non-white people in the US? Didn't they learn anything from Hurricane Katrina?"

That America is a REALLY scary place. Everyone has a gun. Every month or so, some random person will go into a school and try to blow it up or kill as many students and teachers as possible. All the kids are fat and addicted to McDonald's and playing computer games.

Egypt and Iran have both released statements criticizing the violent repression taking place in the U.S. over the past couple days that are similar to statements the U.S. releases about them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Egypt and Iran have both released statements criticizing the violent repression taking place in the U.S. over the past couple days that are similar to statements the U.S. releases about them.

I forgot the part about more than half the babies are born out of wedlock or to single mothers, and roughly 25% of the population (African-American and Hispanic-American) has about the same chance of graduating from university as ending up in prison.

Meanwhile, countries like UAE, Bahrain and Qatar are making tremendous economic progress while American students slowly fall backwards to the rest of the developing world in the areas of math, science, physics and chemistry.

American government can be summed up in one sentence: Citizens United with Koch Brothers leads to 14% approval rating for Congress and more time spent trying to undo Obamacare than solve any real problems in America.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I forgot the part about more than half the babies are born out of wedlock or to single mothers, and roughly 25% of the population (African-American and Hispanic-American) has about the same chance of graduating from university as ending up in prison.

Meanwhile, countries like UAE, Bahrain and Qatar are making tremendous economic progress while American students slowly fall backwards to the rest of the developing world in the areas of math, science, physics and chemistry.

American government can be summed up in one sentence: Citizens United with Koch Brothers leads to 14% approval rating for Congress and more time spent trying to undo Obamacare than solve any real problems in America.

I love when people misuse educational statistics to make leaps that are actually true. What is really happening there is that the selected top level students are making gains against a country that requires education of all students, even when they aren't educatable. They ignore the massive unemployment, and transients populations who aren't getting educations in their respective countries, and probably aren't even allowed to.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Greg, go to Oklahoma Joe's. Post us a pic of the tips sandwich. Life is good.

Oklahoma Joe's is getting TOO popular now.

We didn't have to wait in such long lines about a decade ago...and for my money, go for the pulled pork sandwich.

They always give you so many french fries that it will clog your arteries for about a month.

At any rate, you also have Arthur Bryant's, KC Masterpiece (I think, on the Country Club Plaza, maybe it's just the sauce now being sold in grocery stores), Gates, etc.

My ex used to work at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in the Freighthouse and that place does a very good business as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
Oklahoma Joe's is getting TOO popular now.

We didn't have to wait in such long lines about a decade ago...and for my money, go for the pulled pork sandwich.

They always give you so many french fries that it will clog your arteries for about a month.

At any rate, you also have Arthur Bryant's, KC Masterpiece (I think, on the Country Club Plaza, maybe it's just the sauce now being sold in grocery stores), Gates, etc.

My ex used to work at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in the Freighthouse and that place does a very good business as well.

Arthur Bryant's - maybe

KC Masterpiece - no

Gates - sauces are too salty

Best bbq in KC usually served out of gas station parking lots.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
I love when people misuse educational statistics to make leaps that are actually true. What is really happening there is that the selected top level students are making gains against a country that requires education of all students, even when they aren't educatable. They ignore the massive unemployment, and transients populations who aren't getting educations in their respective countries, and probably aren't even allowed to.

There's never been agreement on how to conduct nationwide tests in countries like China, where they always cherry pick the best students from Shanghai and Beijing...random sampling, how many students need to sit the exam to prove test validity, etc.

For my money, Finland scores the best in math and on PISA (one of the newer tests that's becoming widely-accepted around the world, it's more practical/applicable/real world and can't be memorized through like a Chinese or South Korean test).

They also spent a lot less money per pupil. On the other hand, they don't have to deal with our diversity issues.

Most importantly, to become a teacher in Finland, you have to be in the Top 10-30% of your class/subject in one of the Top Five universities in the country.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)

This post is absurd and LOL worthy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Does anyone else get the feeling that ISIS is slowly biting off more than they can chew before they just get annihilated, be it by the US or someone else?

No. I have trouble buying that they'll be 'annihilated". If you tried to go in and truly beat them, conquer them and break them apart, how does that set up a situation any different from the one the U.S. spent 8 years and several trillion dollars trying to build in Iraq?

They're a Sunni group mostly in control of Sunni territory and the people in that territory prefer them to Assad or the Baghdad government's rule. That's why they were able to storm through that territory so easily. There is a basic ethnic split in those areas and the reason it has not cropped up previously is the presence of the Baath regimes that used foreign-supplied militaries to crush dissent for decades. That genie is now out of the bottle.