James Shields

SJB23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I wonder if Alexei could still be available to a team like the Mets, who have a real need for SS. With Syndergaard in the wings, they could move a starter. But it would probably be Gee who's a 3 at best, imo.

Maybe at the beginning of the winter a scenario like that could happen, but after this winter, the only chance Alexei leaves Chicago now is if the Sox flop this year.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Envision a rotation of Sale, Szamardija, Quintana, Shields, Rodon! All of a sudden, October baseball becomes a reality!

Get 'er done, Rick.

The hang up is the immense distance between his market value and his value to our team.

Also, that's the furthest I've ever seen the 'z' away from its correct location in 'Samardzija' :lol:

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
I wonder if Alexei could still be available to a team like the Mets, who have a real need for SS. With Syndergaard in the wings, they could move a starter. But it would probably be Gee who's a 3 at best, imo.

I don't understand. Their shortstop had a 2.4 WAR last year. It's not a weakness for them. Their SS is as good as Alexei for waaaaay less money.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
I don't understand. Their shortstop had a 2.4 WAR last year. It's not a weakness for them. Their SS is as good as Alexei for waaaaay less money.

They don't seem to think so as they have been in rumors trying to acquire a proven SS. Of course, they are rumors.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

There is a TON of skepticism of how well Flores can actually handle SS over a representative sample. He's done well so far, but everyone agrees that he's done so against the odds.

Tejada is not a real good SS and there are big time concerns with Flores' defense there, even though the numbers translated well at the MLB level.

What shortstop for them had a 2.4 war. Ruben tejada had a 1.3 war and wilmer flores had a .2 war according to baseball reference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tejadru01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/florewi01.shtml

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
What shortstop for them had a 2.4 war. Ruben tejada had a 1.3 war and wilmer flores had a .2 war according to baseball reference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tejadru01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/florewi01.shtml

Sorry that's the projection from the typically conservative BP. My mistake. Projected to be better than Alexei. Of course it doesn't mean anything yet, but he's much younger and a tenth of Alexei's price.

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
for the sox SP need (#4, #5) Shields is a poor use of money. I would like it, but it is financially overkill...that and I think he'd get lit up at US Cell.

As opposed to Noesi and/or Danks who'll get lit up ALL the time?!?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I'd love it, but it ain't happenin'.

If he gets $100M, who ever gives him that is going to be disappointed. If it fell into the three years / $60M-$70M range, then I'd be VERY interested, but its not my money.

I bet he won't get more than 4 years.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Envision a rotation of Sale, Szamardija, Quintana, Shields, Rodon! All of a sudden, October baseball becomes a reality!

Get 'er done, Rick.

He wants $20 mill a year for c. 5 years.

He had a bad post season.

2 of his last 3 seasons have been nothing special.

4 of our top 6 prospects are pitchers.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:30 PM)
He wants $20 mill a year for c. 5 years.

He had a bad post season.

2 of his last 3 seasons have been nothing special.

4 of our top 6 prospects are pitchers.

but none ready to carry a heavy workload let alone pitch extremely well in a playoff hunt.