Jose Abreu's XBH total

Greg Hibbard

Oops I did some math wrong. Edited topic!

Abreu has played 120 out of 121 games, and has 61 XBH....and he seems to have been racking them up of late (a double last night, a triple and a homer over the weekend...)

Extrapolated through the rest of the season, if Jose were to maintain this pace, he would have an astonishing 81-82 XBH.

That seemed hefty to me so I looked back through the annals of recent history, since 2000, the White Sox leaders in XBH

Mags 2002 - 86 XBH

JD 2008 - 78 XBH

Frank 2000 - 77 XBH

Frank 2003 - 77 XBH

JD 2006 - 74 XBH

Jose's would be up there.

What does it mean, though?

How good is Jose's season, offensively?

He still doesn't walk enough to be truly elite class, and his OPS won't wind up above .900.

However, the sheer numbers of doubles, triples and homers is astonishing.

What kind of weight do you assign this statistic?

I also noticed that throughout the 2009-2016 era not a single White Sox batter had more than 73 XBH.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
It's safe to say the league has figured him out. DFA him.

There are still people that don't think Abreu is good. I understand that it's 1B and he's not a superstar but he's slashing .299/.348/.538. He's on pace for another 30 homer season with a wRC+ of 132 which is 2nd best in his career and a .371 wOBA.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
There are still people that don't think Abreu is good. I understand that it's 1B and he's not a superstar but he's slashing .299/.348/.538. He's on pace for another 30 homer season with a wRC+ of 132 which is 2nd best in his career and a .371 wOBA.

I don't think the argument is good vs. bad. I think it's solid aging DH vs. elite piece we could trade for a huge return.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Every season from Jose is a bit different from the one before but he's pretty consistent to say the least. He has the 9th highest wRC+ and wOBA in the AL since joining the league. He's also 8th in PA since 2012. He plays all the time, he contributes all the time and he seems like a great guy. He's certainly atrocious defensively, but otherwise he's everything we could have asked for when we started wishing for him this time of year in 2013.

His defense has been a lot better lately. Not the gold glove level the broadcasts are trying to sell, but at the very least, acceptable.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't think the argument is good vs. bad. I think it's solid aging DH vs. elite piece we could trade for a huge return.

I think that would have happened by now.

I have no problem with keeping him for the rebuild.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Every season from Jose is a bit different from the one before but he's pretty consistent to say the least. He has the 9th highest wRC+ and wOBA in the AL since joining the league. He's also 8th in PA since 2012. He plays all the time, he contributes all the time and he seems like a great guy. He's certainly atrocious defensively, but otherwise he's everything we could have asked for when we started wishing for him this time of year in 2013.

We have seen around MLB that the market for guys who can JUST hit isn't there anymore, even if they are still pretty solid hitters. I am sure that there just isn't anyone offering a lot for Jose Abreu, and because of that the Sox feel he is better served as a leader and mentor. If they were offered a big return for him, he'd be gone too

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I think that would have happened by now.

I have no problem with keeping him for the rebuild.

Yep that was my point, he's worth more to the Sox as a leader/mentor during the rebuild vs. the return in a trade for a solid but aging DH. Perfectly fine keeping him around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
We have seen around MLB that the market for guys who can JUST hit isn't there anymore, even if they are still pretty solid hitters. I am sure that there just isn't anyone offering a lot for Jose Abreu, and because of that the Sox feel he is better served as a leader and mentor. If they were offered a big return for him, he'd be gone too

1B/DH won't get any value from the NL as far as prospects.

Edited by kitekrazy