Sox officially sign Rodon

Buehrle>Wood

"More than 6.45 million"

6/10 update:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Baseball America now reporting $6.582M for Rodon signing.

This puts them over the limit and into 75% tax penalty territory on the overage (by about 385k), but stays just/short of draft pick loss territory.

Also means Montes de Oca and Choplick almost assuredly won't be signed.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't want to but they had to. I'm certainly not upset.

They didn't have to. Rodon wasn't going to turn down $6M to go back to college, and if he was going to turn down $6M then he's an idiot and I don't want him.

It isn't so much just this signing as the precedent it sets. Now that the Sox have gone over slot once, every first round pick from now on is going to expect it. Setting a bad precedent.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 06:42 AM)
They didn't have to. Rodon wasn't going to turn down $6M to go back to college, and if he was going to turn down $6M then he's an idiot and I don't want him.

It isn't so much just this signing as the precedent it sets. Now that the Sox have gone over slot once, every first round pick from now on is going to expect it. Setting a bad precedent.

I don't understand seeing negatives about signing pretty much the number one guy in the draft. I'm stoked

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:42 AM)

Probably moreso with Boras clients than anyone else. Let's remember Alex Jackson signed quickly and it wasn't a remarkable amount of money one way or the other.

By the way, if they are sending him to Winston-Salem, is Austin going with him to be his personal catcher at least until he moves to BIRM? They seem to love JR Perdew as a pitching coach, so it's a great first placement...too bad Montas isn't around to benefit from seeing a polished pitcher go about his business and teach him a thing or two, but Tyler Danish will be able to pick up some things hopefully.

Edited by caulfield12

Super stoked. Those of you upset about what he signed for, relax! What is another $200-300,000 anyway? Not to mention, Rodon was originally slotted for the #1 spot in the draft. He will be a huge part of this organization for many many years.

Welcome to the era of Rodon!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
From what I read, this pretty much confirms Montes De Oca goes to Mizzou. Oh well, it would have been cool to get them both

Yeah, basically zero shot at Montes de Oca now. I would have loved to land him but getting Rodon in the fold was way more important.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
How much was slot? Seems like he got a lot over.

Regardless, this is great news.

he was slotted at $5.7M and got $6.45. i'm not going to gripe about another $750K if this kid ends up being our #1 prospect.

great news this morning!