White Sox News FA / Rumors / News

Chisoxfn

This thread is a place to post only actual tweets / news articles / rumors. No commentary here. More of a one stop place for people to see the actual content. Actual discussion based upon the tweets / news reports, should be in separate threads (either a new thread if the information is brand new or an existing thread if it is an update on something we are already all talking about at Soxtalk).

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2h2 hours ago

Sources: Catching market heating up. Jason Castro sitting on offers from at least three AL teams. He's in top tier with Ramos and Wieters.

How is Jason Castro top-tier? He's bad.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/castrja01.shtml

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
How is Jason Castro top-tier? He's bad.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/castrja01.shtml

Plus framer, plus defender, good arm, shows big power. He's not elite, but he's significantly better than what the Sox have run out there this past year.

Interesting tidbit from Rosenthal from a Fox Sports piece:

One GM noted a difference in this year’s trade market, saying, “no team is pushing the reset button” — in other words, entering a full rebuild.

The Braves, Phillies and Brewers took deliberate steps back last offseason, drawing accusations of “tanking.” The White Sox and Tigers, on the other hand, figure to retreat, but not to such a dramatic extent.

Right fielder Adam Eaton, under club control for five more seasons at below-market salaries, is a good example of the difficult choices the White Sox face.

Eaton, who turns 28 on Dec. 6, could be part of the Sox’s next contending team. But by the time the Sox are good again, he also might be in decline.

It might be best for the White Sox to act now when his value is peaking.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/notes-a...-pitches-111016

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)
I still fully expect they will keep most of the players and "go for it" again..

Why? Why do people think this? Everyone is reporting that they are rebuilding. We've been beat over the f***ing head with it and I keep seeing this. It's a stupid opinion based on KW still being around.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
Why? Why do people think this? Everyone is reporting that they are rebuilding. We've been beat over the f***ing head with it and I keep seeing this. It's a stupid opinion based on KW still being around.

Well to be fair, its all the Sox have done for the past ~15 years. I think they'll rebuild (because they'd be fools not to), but I guess I won't really believe it until I see it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
Well to be fair, its all the Sox have done for the past ~15 years. I think they'll rebuild (because they'd be fools not to), but I guess I won't really believe it until I see it.

This

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3m3 minutes ago

White Sox currently focused on a rebuild, but it's unclear whether they'll find offers acceptable to them for Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, etc.

Exactly why people still believe a complete over-haul is impossible. And it's a fair reason not to rebuild if you don't get the offers.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)

When push comes to shove I am not certain they will get the value back that they are seeking. Teams are valuing youth more and more each season and for Quintana, Sale and Eaton a team would have to give up a good amount if not all of their youth.

I just do not see the trade partners matching up enough to get these deals done.

If the White Sox are not going to use the financial benefits of these deals to their advantage they will lose out badly at the end of the day.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
When push comes to shove I am not certain they will get the value back that they are seeking. Teams are valuing youth more and more each season and for Quintana, Sale and Eaton a team would have to give up a good amount if not all of their youth.

I just do not see the trade partners matching up enough to get these deals done.

If the White Sox are not going to use the financial benefits of these deals to their advantage they will lose out badly at the end of the day.

Agreed. There just doesn't seem like that many teams that can trade for them. It's basically just Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros, and Cubs (but I count them out as I just don't see either team making a huge trade with each other).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
We just had two teams trade their best prospect + for relievers. In one case, it was for a couple months of a reliever. A Sale trade would require a package that's unprecedented but without a doubt teams are willing to dance for the best LHSP not named Kershaw.

Is Sale the only guy going though?

I think you can hit on a Sale deal but they also need to then move Quintana, Cabrera, Robertson, Frazier and probably Abreu to make it worth trading. While discussing with teams they will all want Eaton and probably Jones.

That is a lot of teams you need to deal impactful youth.

If it is a money saving venture that the Sox are going after than moving those guys will be easy. Similar to the Ray Durham trade of years past for all but Quintana and Sale.....

My personal guess is that in the end they will need to spend money on a bad contract or 2, trade Rodon and hope to compete.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Is Sale the only guy going though?

I think you can hit on a Sale deal but they also need to then move Quintana, Cabrera, Robertson, Frazier and probably Abreu to make it worth trading. While discussing with teams they will all want Eaton and probably Jones.

That is a lot of teams you need to deal impactful youth.

If it is a money saving venture that the Sox are going after than moving those guys will be easy. Similar to the Ray Durham trade of years past for all but Quintana and Sale.....

My personal guess is that in the end they will need to spend money on a bad contract or 2, trade Rodon and hope to compete.

Lol, they are not trading Rodon.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 10s11 seconds ago

The Washington #Nats among the latest teams to inquire on #Whitesox ace Chris Sale, but no serious talks with anyone yet

YES. I love the prospects of trading with them.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Just glad that we're finally hearing about an actual team expressing interest.

The only problem is all the stupid trade proposals I get to see on Twitter

"He's some minor league trash...we get Chris Sale"

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
The only problem is all the stupid trade proposals I get to see on Twitter

"He's some minor league trash...we get Chris Sale"

Yeah, it's amazing how much trouble fans have with valuing star players. Obviously none of us know these guys' true value, but I've seen a ton of proposals that are just way off. I think part of it is people have a tendency to overall prospects no matter how good they really are.