Potential MLB free agent adds

Bob Sacamano

Bored in my cubicle at work. White Sox news is scarce right now. Read a few articles over the past week mentioning who would be fits for certain free agents and one put us as a destination for Chris Carter (open DH spot/still gotta fill out a roster) and one put us as a destination for Michael Saunders (who is about to sign with Philly). Which available free agents out there do you think we will sign to fill out the rest of our roster before/during Opening Day?

I'm going to go with Adam Lind for DH/1B at bats (only against righties).

Edited by soxfan2014

After Quintana gets traded the team signs NOBODY. You will be looking at a team losing at least 100 games this year. I expect it to be even worse in 2018 after Frazier + Cabrera leave. I read where the team will have a guaranteed payroll of only $35 million dollars entering the 2018 season. I'm still hoping the team has new ownership by then.

After Quintana is moved I would like to see them sign Brett Anderson as another lefty to flip at the deadline along with holland, use Beck, Covey and Danish as spot starters and pen pieces till the pieces in rotation are moved or DFA'd and they get the extra year of control from Giolito, Fulmer & Lopez.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
After Quintana is moved I would like to see them sign Brett Anderson as another lefty to flip at the deadline along with holland, use Beck, Covey and Danish as spot starters and pen pieces till the pieces in rotation are moved or DFA'd and they get the extra year of control from Giolito, Fulmer & Lopez.

I think they'll do that sort of signing but my guess is jason Hammel, who I believe we've heard wants to stay in Chicago Area anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
I think they'll do that sort of signing but my guess is jason Hammel, who I believe we've heard wants to stay in Chicago Area anyway.

If he doesn't sign with Sox I think he goes to Ms.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
He actually said that? After being cut by the Cubs, that would basically mean he wants to play for the Sox lol

On one of the Garfein podcasts I believe it was Chris Kamka who said he knows Hammel and knows he'd like to stay in Chicago. But also, I believe he asked Cubs To not pick up option test FA market.

Sox need another starting pitcher or two that can eat innings, abnd possibly a middle relief guy that can do that. They also need a decent Lefty set-up man to replace Zach Duke.

I am going to be pulling for Tilson and Davidson to make the 25 man roster.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:41 AM)
Sox need another starting pitcher or two that can eat innings, abnd possibly a middle relief guy that can do that. They also need a decent Lefty set-up man to replace Zach Duke.

I am going to be pulling for Tilson and Davidson to make the 25 man roster.

I think bullpen is set: Robertson, Jones, Putnam, Petricka, Covey, Ynoa, Jennings, Soto as options.

Player 1: 2016 Salary: 2.5 MIL

R 2B HR RBI AVE

84 | 27 | 41 | 94 | .222

Player 2: 2017 Salary: 12 MIL

R 2B HR RBI AVE

89 | 21 | 40 | 98 | .225

If given the choice between the 2, employing player 1 seems like smart baseball for the rebuilding team, yes?

(Player 1: Chris Carter, Player 2: Todd Frazier)

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Player 1: 2016 Salary: 2.5 MIL

R 2B HR RBI AVE

84 | 27 | 41 | 94 | .222

Player 2: 2017 Salary: 12 MIL

R 2B HR RBI AVE

89 | 21 | 40 | 98 | .225

If given the choice between the 2, employing player 1 seems like smart baseball for the rebuilding team, yes?

(Player 1: Chris Carter, Player 2: Todd Frazier)

True, but Carter can't play 3rd base with solid defense

I've said it before - but if Q sticks around, it sure would be nice to add a couple bats. But the cupboard is getting barren.

Pedro Alvarez, Adam Lind, Justin Morneau, Mike Napoli, Luis Valbuena, Logan Morrison, Brandon Moss would all be DH options.

OF options are pretty picked over at this point - Gregor Blanco, Angel Pagan, Drew Stubbs, Austin Jackson are really all that is left.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
I've said it before - but if Q sticks around, it sure would be nice to add a couple bats. But the cupboard is getting barren.

Pedro Alvarez, Adam Lind, Justin Morneau, Mike Napoli, Luis Valbuena, Logan Morrison, Brandon Moss would all be DH options.

OF options are pretty picked over at this point - Gregor Blanco, Angel Pagan, Drew Stubbs, Austin Jackson are really all that is left.

I wouldn't mind Valbuena as a signing. I think he can play 3b/DH so we can have days rotating lawrie/Saladino at 2b/3b, and rotate our OF with Garcia going to DH.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
Yah, at this point in his "development", may as well just give him 300+ at bats and see if he can do anything.

I agree, if they were to deal Frazier, I would probably plug him in at third (if he isn't already getting at bats between 1B/3B/DH with Frazier and Abreu).

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
After Quintana gets traded the team signs NOBODY. You will be looking at a team losing at least 100 games this year. I expect it to be even worse in 2018 after Frazier + Cabrera leave. I read where the team will have a guaranteed payroll of only $35 million dollars entering the 2018 season. I'm still hoping the team has new ownership by then.

God i hope so. Nothing would make me happier than getting the ist pick in the draft 2 years in row and being ready to compete in 2019. In fact if doesnt happen i will be pissed. Lose and lose big the next. 2 years. Puts a smile on my face.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
God i hope so. Nothing would make me happier than getting the ist pick in the draft 2 years in row and being ready to compete in 2019. In fact if doesnt happen i will be pissed. Lose and lose big the next. 2 years. Puts a smile on my face.

This doesn't even make sense. Potential #1 picks the next 2 years probably won't be ready to help us in 2019.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)

This line of thinking cracks me. Yay - can't wait to watch my favorite baseball team win 100 games over the next two years!!!

That would literally blow. I realize this is going to take some time, and the Sox are likely to suck for the next two years, but god damn it, I am going to root for them to turn this thing around quickly. Summer is much more enjoyable when you have good baseball to watch.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:35 AM)
This doesn't even make sense. Potential #1 picks the next 2 years probably won't be ready to help us in 2019.

I know it's not likely, but if the Sox are able to get two advanced college hitters in those drafts, they may be ready to make an impact fairly quickly. Look at Bregman, Benintendi, and Bryant. If half of what the Sox end up with from trading off the roster develops the way we hope it will, and they can get 2 impact bats like that out of the 2018 and 2019 drafts, I would expect them to be able to attract the big names in the 2018 free agent class (though I think Reinsdorf will ultimately be too cheap to sign them) and potentially be in the hunt for the wild card in 2019 and possibly much more in 2020.