MLB Pipeline Top Prospects

Squirmin' for Yermin

Today they are supposed to release the top 10 RHP prospects. With a new top 10 coming each day. I don't see how Kopech isn't number 2 or 1. (Ohtani being 1). Maybe we could see Hansen crack their top 10 list of RHP. I think he is going to be top 50 so he'd be around there. LEGGO!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 08:02 AM)
Not too surprising. He has a lot to prove

My only question is whether he's a catcher. If he is, he's an All Star in my opinion. He spent the offseason straightening out the hitch in his swing. The knocks were the strikeout rate and batting average.

This player is good though:

2017 Winston-Salem: .223/.365/.443 118K, 76BB, 17 homers 130 wRC+ and .367 wOBA

2017 Birmingham (small sample): .235/.422/.471 .414 wOBA and 166 wRC+.

2016: .885 OPS after his college season.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 10:27 AM)
My only question is whether he's a catcher. If he is, he's an All Star in my opinion. He spent the offseason straightening out the hitch in his swing. The knocks were the strikeout rate and batting average.

This player is good though:

2017 Winston-Salem: .223/.365/.443 118K, 76BB, 17 homers 130 wRC+ and .367 wOBA

2017 Birmingham (small sample): .235/.422/.471 .414 wOBA and 166 wRC+.

2016: .885 OPS after his college season.

Fixing the hitch is what will make or break him. The strike zone judgment is elite, just needs to put the bat on the ball better.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:02 PM)
Fixing the hitch is what will make or break him. The strike zone judgment is elite, just needs to put the bat on the ball better.

I kinda disagree. Actually being a catcher is what will make or break him. Otherwise he could be Omar Narvaez with power.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:22 PM)
TOP 10 1B prospects released. No Sox (no surprise) HOWEVER, they names Gavin Sheets the 1B prospect to watch.. So that's pretty cool

Between the scouts saying he'll be good if he adds loft to his swing, and the reports out of the hitters camp that he is hitting it in the air more, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do this year.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 04:04 PM)
Between the scouts saying he'll be good if he adds loft to his swing, and the reports out of the hitters camp that he is hitting it in the air more, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do this year.

Me too.. I was and still am super excited about our first three picks last year. (Burger, Sheets, Gonzalez)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 07:07 AM)
The description on Tatis, ranked as the No. 2 SS, was demoralizing.

If there is anything positive to take away from the whole Tatis Jr. thing, it is that either we were very unlucky or that our international scouting has gotten better.

In fairness to the front office, Tatis. Jr. was nowhere near top 100 prospect lists when we traded him.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:06 AM)
If there is anything positive to take away from the whole Tatis Jr. thing, it is that either we were very unlucky or that our international scouting has gotten better.

In fairness to the front office, Tatis. Jr. was nowhere near top 100 prospect lists when we traded him.

Positive: The found a guy who was not a consensus elite international prospect (ranked 27th in MLB in 2015) who eventually became an elite prospect

Negative: Their internal scouting on him shortly thereafter failed miserably

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
Apparently, sons of former MLB players that are named after said player themselves become very good baseball players. At least that's what Guerrero Jr. and Tatis Jr. seem to be showing.

Not yet. But we'll see in a few years.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
Apparently, sons of former MLB players that are named after said player themselves become very good baseball players. At least that's what Guerrero Jr. and Tatis Jr. seem to be showing.

I think Griffey Jr. already had something to say about that.