Fangraphs T100

Jack Parkman

Dunning listed as "in consideration" and I would imagine that means he was pegged with a 50 FV.

Nice Robert write-up, and it's interesting reading the Collins stuff. Despite the handwringing here, seems like scouts believe in that bat profile making the majors.

Looks like in ranking for pitchers they had a preference for control, but it's also kinda wild seeing Burdi there, considering I doubt many on this board had him in top 10.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
Big fan of Eric and Kiley. I'm surprised how low Kopech is on most of these lists.

The FV ranking is much more important. Eric has said in one of his chats that he views every prospect in a specific FV bucket as basically interchangeable, so in his view there's less of a difference here between #7 and #23 than there is between #6 and #7.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
Given some of the other reports about Eloy's defense and arm, nice to see here that his arm is given a 60 grade and that Longenhagen thinks he has enough athleticism to play a solid RF.

Yeah he has been more bullish on his defense than others, and I value that because he was at places like instructs recently getting in-person looks.

Maybe he emphasizes more that he sees players, but with the exception of the BA guys, it does seem like people like Law and Callis rely more on deciphering scout opinions than getting looks. I like getting both, but for defense it's nice to know this came from someone who has watched him play a bit.

And one thing to add is in podcasts EL seems to like Burger offensively. He thinks he'll be a 1b but doesn't dismiss that he could stick at 3b.

https://twitter.com/longenhagen/status/960597776189943808

Eric Longenhagen

@longenhagen

1h1 hour ago

More

We decided the stuff was too good to leave him off.

Eric Longenhagen‏

@longenhagen

Following Following @longenhagen

More

Replying to @FutureSox

We think the changeup is also bonkers

Tweets about Burdi.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:41 PM)
Kinda surprised that Cease is not even listed in the consideration for the Top 100.

If they consider him a 50 but with high variance I could see him left off, but I'm hoping they still consider him a 50.

Can't wait for team lists to come out to see.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:41 PM)
Kinda surprised that Cease is not even listed in the consideration for the Top 100.

He has got to show that he can be healthy and throw strikes. He is kind of in the place that Micker Adolfo was a year ago where the ceiling is very high, but he can't stay healthy for a season, and he has a pretty decent flaw he needs to fix. 2017 Michael Kopech might even be a better comp, as he had the same two big issues coming into this season, but he also has a superstar ceiling, which Cease doesn't seem to have.

I would love nothing more than for him to have his walks get down into the 2.5 to 3 BB/9 range, and throw 150 innings in 2018.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:44 PM)
If they consider him a 50 but with high variance I could see him left off, but I'm hoping they still consider him a 50.

Can't wait for team lists to come out to see.

He was a 45 on last year’s Cubs list. While I think he should be a 50, I’m not sure that Longenhagen will feel he did enough in 2017 to make that jump. The fact that he’s 22 and hasn’t cracked High A or 100 innings in his career is somewhat troubling. At some point the baby gloves have to come off and Cease will have to prove he can handle a starter’s workload against more advanced hitters. Until that happens I can understand why people would be skeptical despite his insane stuff.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
Big fan of Eric and Kiley. I'm surprised how low Kopech is on most of these lists.

I agree.

Kopech was #21 on the FG list in 2017. They also knocked down his FV change-up from a 60 to a 55. Did his change-up really regress? His present value on his control went from 30 up to 40.

So he essentially didn't have his stock change in a year in which he did really good, if not great, in AA (walks an issue still), and also had 3 strong starts in AAA.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
I agree.

Kopech was #21 on the FG list in 2017. They also knocked down his FV change-up from a 60 to a 55. Did his change-up really regress? His present value on his control went from 30 up to 40.

So he essentially didn't have his stock change in a year in which he did really good, if not great, in AA (walks an issue still), and also had 3 strong starts in AAA.

I wouldn't necessarily take it as he regressed. A FV of 55 is still above average. Perhaps they felt they ranked him too high the year before and got a better look at him in 2017?

mikecws91

1:12 Listing Zack Collins as a 1B is fightin' words! In your eyes, what are the odds he sticks at catcher? 25% maybe?

Kiley McDaniel

1:13 I think he's mid career Carlos Santana. Bat you want in the lineup, 1B/DH and maybe once a week at catcher, more of a 3rd catcher than a backup since you don't want to wear him out multiple times a week.

From the chat today.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 01:41 PM)
mikecws91

1:12 Listing Zack Collins as a 1B is fightin' words! In your eyes, what are the odds he sticks at catcher? 25% maybe?

Kiley McDaniel

1:13 I think he's mid career Carlos Santana. Bat you want in the lineup, 1B/DH and maybe once a week at catcher, more of a 3rd catcher than a backup since you don't want to wear him out multiple times a week.

From the chat today.

well we'll take that...

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 10:46 AM)
You know what's really interesting is McDaniel and Longehagen made a point to devalue pitching overall in their top 100, and still ranked Burdi in it. They must really really like his stuff.

Eric Longenhagen‏

@longenhagen

Following Following @longenhagen

More

Replying to @FutureSox

We decided the stuff was too good to leave him off.

@FutureSox

Replying to @longenhagen

We've seen him hit 102 in person with a devastating SL. No doubt his 2-pitch punch is huge. Just pointing out his ranking as being unusual is all. He's got high end, high leverage reliever ceiling for sure.

@longenhagen

We think the changeup is also bonkers

0 replies 1 retweet 12 likes

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 10:46 AM)
You know what's really interesting is McDaniel and Longehagen made a point to devalue pitching overall in their top 100, and still ranked Burdi in it. They must really really like his stuff.

Did they devalue pitching overall or did they devalue starting pitching while also adding value to relievers to better reflect the current game?

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)
Did they devalue pitching overall or did they devalue starting pitching while also adding value to relievers to better reflect the current game?

I believe they specifically said that at some point. I don't remember if it was in writing or in a podcast. But whoever was talking mentioned Burdi as a guy who is on thelist because they're trying to acknowledge the increasing value MLB teams are putting on shutdown relievers.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)

On Effectively Wild they said pitching overall and it was due to injury or velo loss.

Really would like to see burdi be able to go 2+ innings. What a weapon that would be.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 02:31 PM)
On Effectively Wild they said pitching overall and it was due to injury or velo loss.

Really would like to see burdi be able to go 2+ innings. What a weapon that would be.

Relievers are being viewed as more valuable pieces than ever before, especially ones like you mentioned that can go multiple innings.