Bobby Valentine thinks PEDs are good for sports

kitekrazy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 27, 2015 -> 03:19 AM)
PEDs rescued baseball after the 94 strike. Hard to deny that

Sadly baseball was rescued by performance enhancing drugs. All those players should have their records STRIPPED. That great home run chase between Sosa and McGwire? Please.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
Sadly baseball was rescued by performance enhancing drugs. All those players should have their records STRIPPED. That great home run chase between Sosa and McGwire? Please.

You watched, and marveled

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
The entire country dropped what they were doing when Barry Bonds stepped to the plate, now they want to pretend like he didn't exist. C'Mon man.

Exactly. I was just like the rest of the lemmings for a while. Then I just realized recently what an amazing era that was. Other than Giambi getting mvp over Frank in 2000, I got no beef with that era. Sure as hell beats a no-hitter every week.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Yea, but you have to put them on the suspicion of PED list as well. Roger Clemens.....
Sure, but I don't know if there's ever been a concrete example of steroids helping pitchers as much as they helped hitters. I feel like the extremely offense-heavy nature of the era backs that up.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Sure, but I don't know if there's ever been a concrete example of steroids helping pitchers as much as they helped hitters. I feel like the extremely offense-heavy nature of the era backs that up.

You could argue they helped pitchers more, as a big thing steroids do is help you recover more quickly, which is obviously huge for pitchers.

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)

I would say Eric Gagne disagrees

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
I was probably 11-12 years old during the 98 HR chase, and it absolutely got me into baseball. I was raised a Sox fan, but 11-12 is when I really started to understand the game better, and adored Sosa and being able to watch those games every night. Without it, I don't know if I would have the passion for baseball that I do now.

It's obvious to say PED's are bad and it's certainly hard to endorse, but it's also hard to argue that the game wasn't more entertaining back then. And after all, that's all sports are.

That 98 season was incredible tv. I remember my dad, me and my grandpa were glued to the games down the stretch.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
I was probably 11-12 years old during the 98 HR chase, and it absolutely got me into baseball. I was raised a Sox fan, but 11-12 is when I really started to understand the game better, and adored Sosa and being able to watch those games every night. Without it, I don't know if I would have the passion for baseball that I do now.

It's obvious to say PED's are bad and it's certainly hard to endorse, but it's also hard to argue that the game wasn't more entertaining back then. And after all, that's all sports are.

I completely agree with everything said here and this is coming from a fan of pitching.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2015 -> 03:54 AM)
The entire country dropped what they were doing when Barry Bonds stepped to the plate, now they want to pretend like he didn't exist. C'Mon man.

That's because he CHEATED. No Hall of Fame for any of these bums, please. I want success without cheating in my sports.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
That's because he CHEATED. No Hall of Fame for any of these bums, please. I want success without cheating in my sports.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. As White Sox fans, we should probably all feel this way, seeing as the 2005 White Sox were the one team in that decade without any real steroid abusers (Maybe just Pablo Ozuna) and Frank Thomas lost out the 2000 MVP to the juicebox edition of Jason Giambi.