2015 Wild Card Games

flavum

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Tuesday-

Astros (Keuchel on 3 days) vs Yankees (Tanaka)

Wednesday-

Cubs (Arrieta) vs Pirates (Cole)

Keuchel and Cole has a nice ring to it.

Keuchel and Cole, the two losing pitchers in the Wild Card games. Go Yankees and go Cubs!

Edited by Soxfan90

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1h1 hour ago

Jayson Stark Retweeted ESPN

Polled 20 baseball execs. 18 took the #BlueJays to get to the World Series. So I've got lots of company!

And now that means they're going 3 and out.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Seconded.

:headbang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1h1 hour ago

Jayson Stark Retweeted ESPN

Polled 20 baseball execs. 18 took the #BlueJays to get to the World Series. So I've got lots of company!

I'm right there with ya.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Lol what? Cubs don't matter? Guess we aren't competing for the same fans.

You're really not.

1) Cubs fans are a more nation wide fanbase. There are nearly as many Cub fans in Austin as there are Astros or Rangers fans here. You're never going to make those people White Sox fans.

2) When the White Sox were good, you know a huge portion of the people watching were Cub fans.

Also, they don't affect our organization. Period. If the Sox are good, they have enough fans to go. If they're bad, no one bothers. Cubs have nothing to do with it.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
You're really not.

1) Cubs fans are a more nation wide fanbase. There are nearly as many Cub fans in Austin as there are Astros or Rangers fans here. You're never going to make those people White Sox fans.

2) When the White Sox were good, you know a huge portion of the people watching were Cub fans.

Also, they don't affect our organization. Period. If the Sox are good, they have enough fans to go. If they're bad, no one bothers. Cubs have nothing to do with it.

So you don't think there are casual sports fans in Chicago that jumped on the Cubs bandwagon this year and went to their games/watched them on tv and are now Cubs fans for life? After seeing the insanity of the Blackhawks bandwagon over the last 5 years, the Cubs being consistently good would definitely hurt in developing the next generation of Sox fans.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
Yeah sorry but that's an awful post. The cubs directly impact our fanbase.

To his credit, not living in the Chicagoland area right now might make it hard to realize just how crazy the Cubs bandwagon is now (as well as how dead the Sox are). He's a very smart poster though, so I'm sure he knows.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
To his credit, not living in the Chicagoland area right now might make it hard to realize just how crazy the Cubs bandwagon is now (as well as how dead the Sox are). He's a very smart poster though, so I'm sure he knows.

Fair. I guess on the flipside the blackhawks are basically a complete non-entity outside Chicago, which would be hard for use to imagine. But yeah you don't have to look farther then them to see what winning does to fanbases. Fans are crawling out of the woodwork and it's only going to get worse if the Cubs keep winning.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Fair. I guess on the flipside the blackhawks are basically a complete non-entity outside Chicago, which would be hard for use to imagine. But yeah you don't have to look farther then them to see what winning does to fanbases. Fans are crawling out of the woodwork and it's only going to get worse if the Cubs keep winning.

The Blackhawks have road teams making rules to keep their fans out of opposing stadiums. I don't know that I have heard that one before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
The Blackhawks have road teams making rules to keep their fans out of opposing stadiums. I don't know that I have heard that one before.

Hawks fans are bloody assholes that's why. They totally disrespect other teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)

Yeah they travel well for playoffs and to places like Nashville. It's more of a shot against the nhl. Kris Bryant for example, a rookie of just a couple months, is more known nationally than Patrick Kane, the most popular player on a 3 time Stanley winning team. You just wouldn't get that idea in Chicago, but that could change soon. That was my point

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Yeah they travel well for playoffs and to places like Nashville. It's more of a shot against the nhl. Kris Bryant for example, a rookie of just a couple months, is more known nationally than Patrick Kane, the most popular player on a 3 time Stanley winning team. You just wouldn't get that idea in Chicago, but that could change soon. That was my point

This is so true, it's funny to experience. For 6+ years, the entire city of Chicago revolves around the Blackhawks during the playoffs. You just assume everyone knows about the Hawks. Then you talk to people in other cities, they don't even know the hockey playoffs are happening.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah sorry but that's an awful post. The cubs directly impact our fanbase. Can't believe anyone would deny that. You don't have to hate the cubs or anything but don't deny reality either.

The reality is there is room enough for two baseball teams in Chicago and each can be successful regardless of the success.

Who made the Sox horrible this year? The White Sox. The Cubs have nothing to do with this. Any fans we lose we deserve. We're garbage.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Hawks fans are bloody assholes that's why. They totally disrespect other teams.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, but if you have been to a road game in a city like Dallas, the Blackhawks fans (of which I consider myself one) are completely jerks.