8/2 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Growing pains for a 20 year-old kid in AA ball, no need to overreact. Any success at this level at his age should be viewed positively.

Totally. I love that he's getting shelled. Now he knows he needs to come back better next year. Count me in as looking forward to seeing what he's made of.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
Totally. I love that he's getting shelled. Now he knows he needs to come back better next year. Count me in as looking forward to seeing what he's made of.

Exactly. It's tough to see him struggle this year but then I think back to when I was 20 years old and how immature I was physically and mentally and calm down. Even if he doesn't grow an inch or two in the next couple of years he will still naturally get stronger and, as you mentioned, he's figuring out what works for him and what he needs to work on to be successful. It's a very long-term gamble with this kid by challenging him, he might fade in the face of adversity and spend the rest of his career bouncing around the bullpen, but if he rises above the adversity then you have a bonafide competitor on your hands and an integral piece of your rotation for years to come.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)

Hell, it took Myles Jaye three years to get AA hitters out. Danish will be fine.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
Why are we thinking this is a fluke? He's obviously somewhat prospective at least

ref cooper-cl, he is driving me crazy. i see the success he is having, then i reread his pitching type of skill. ex: fs, curce, slider etc.... and i come away asking, how is he doing this.

next i like to see how he would do in the majors.... i am lost.

but for now, i am extremely happy he is helping the team to win. :lol:

I don't know if Cooper has improved since I saw him in May (there are reports of increased velo, and maybe an upper 80s pitch that suggests a cutter) or if he has just gotten really good at getting A-ball hitters out, but he's been absolutely ridiculous. I mean, 26 K and 0 BB in 13 scoreless innings? LOL, time for a promotion and quick. See if you've got something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't know if Cooper has improved since I saw him in May (there are reports of increased velo, and maybe an upper 80s pitch that suggests a cutter) or if he has just gotten really good at getting A-ball hitters out, but he's been absolutely ridiculous. I mean, 26 K and 0 BB in 13 scoreless innings? LOL, time for a promotion and quick. See if you've got something.

Yeah, what's the story with him? Does anyone know about his stuff? His numbers last summer in Great Falls were strong, too.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
Yeah, what's the story with him? Does anyone know about his stuff? His numbers last summer in Great Falls were strong, too.

Here's my report from May with video.

He's unorthodox in a few ways, which helps him I'm sure. But if you take what I saw, add a few ticks to the fastball and add a cutter, he's suddenly a much more intriguing guy. At his age though, they need to get him moving.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Here's my report from May with video.

He's unorthodox in a few ways, which helps him I'm sure. But if you take what I saw, add a few ticks to the fastball and add a cutter, he's suddenly a much more intriguing guy. At his age though, they need to get him moving.

I feel like pitchers can move quicker though as long as the stuff is good enough. They're not reacting like hitters so if the stuff is there a big or fast level jump shouldn't be a problem.