Dye, Thome, Linebrink + others Available

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I really hope something goes down. Let's get someone else some at bats. I love Jimmy, and I thought if he could hit #570 this season that he should stick around and try to pop another 30 next year... but it's not gonna happen. Jimmy's gonna have to play into 2011 to hit 600 homers.

Dye was one of my favorite Sox but he appears to have lost it. Let's trade them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I speculated at this earlier and it doesn't surprise me. I'm glad Kenny is doing this and I hope we see Dye and Thome moved. Maybe even Dotel or Liney.

I'd dump Liney for absolutely anything. Maybe we can get something for Dye/Thome but it might be too late of notice, who knows.

QUOTE (Cowch @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
So who are some teams that would even want these guys? I almost don't care about the return.

That is a problem. I do suppose the Sox wouldn't mind saving some payroll this month and would give these guys away. Playoff money is due Sept. 2. They aren't going to get much. It will probably cost them any chance of significantly raising ticket prices. This roadtrip has been more devasting than just a few losses.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
I'd be willing to bet that Dye and Thome leave tonight. Why shouldn't a team take a chance on Linebrink too? Some teams "Coop" might be able to fix him...

Let the rebuilding begin...

Lets bet. No one wants to pay these guys what they get, now, not even the White Sox. As far as Linebrink goes, I think unless someone is willing to take his entire contract, the Sox should hold on to him. He is still throwing hard, he can't throw an offspeed pitch for a strike. He could have a Cliff Politte bounce next year. Of course its a huge if and if someone wants to assume the contract, send him out.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
I'd be willing to bet that Dye and Thome leave tonight. Why shouldn't a team take a chance on Linebrink too? Some teams "Coop" might be able to fix him...

Let the rebuilding begin...

Linebrink is signed through 2011 and will make more than $5 million each of the next 2 years. Not a lot of teams are going to want to pay him that.

What really interests me about all this.... we're ready to move on next year with Pods cheap and no one else brought back. It seems like the kind of memo that's sent around when you dont care a ton about bringing someone back.

Willing to go forward into free agency for a corner outfielder........ or with Flowers as a DH as long as they can get a utility player who can catch.

The chances here are so slim for any of this to happen. If I am correct another team will still have to claim a player on waivers, and if the Sox are telling every team this some teams may claim a player to block him from a contender. Also, the playoff roster deadline is tonight I believe, meaning the timeline is VERY short for a trade to be made.

I just dont see anything big happening unless a team claims a salary dump from the Sox.

Deadline is midnight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see none or all of them moved.

Some silver lining in all this, I think the Sox are 13th or so in draft rankings, so hopefully we can move up the board on that. Also this makes going after type A FAs less painful (Figgins).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
The chances here are so slim for any of this to happen. If I am correct another team will still have to claim a player on waivers, and if the Sox are telling every team this some teams may claim a player to block him from a contender. Also, the playoff roster deadline is tonight I believe, meaning the timeline is VERY short for a trade to be made.

I just dont see anything big happening unless a team claims a salary dump from the Sox.

Even if a team blocks the waiver from a contender, can't the Sox just dump the player on that team? Just getting Linebrink off the books would be a win-win situation.