The Central

BaconOnAStick

Alright! That sure was busy, 'wudnit? Probably more moves coming but it's time to look at these teams and how they compare to each other... let's go! (These rankings are totally subjective and may not be correct. b**** about them in reply).

Cleveland is doing what Cleveland does. I tried to figure it out, their guys will play everywhere.

Designated Hitter:

1. Detroit- Victor Martinez

2. Cleveland- Carlos Santana

3. SOX- Adam LaRoche

4. Minnesota- Kennys Vargas

5. Kansas City- Kendrys Morales

Pretty obvious. Carlos Santana does more than DH (he plays 3rd like he doesn't know how) but this is where he slots. Cleveland rotates their DH, and I like that rotation more than anything in this division aside from Victor (personally I like it more than Vmart, but I'm suspending that belief here). Vargas is a guy to watch, I liked what I saw of him in 2014. Morales is a bad, bad option for Kansas City.

Catcher:

1. Kansas City- Salvador Perez

2. Cleveland- Yan Gomes

3. Minnesota- Kurt Suzuki

4. Detroit- Alex Avila/James McCann

5. SOX- Tyler Flowers

Detroit is going into 2015 with an open competition at the catcher position which could extend past Avila and McCann. It is likely the winner of that competition will still be better than Flowers. Not that there's anything wrong with Flowers, though. In order to get the Sox out of the basement at this position they'd have to spend more than would make any sense.

First Base:

1. SOX- Jose Abreu

2. Detroit- Miguel Cabrera

3. Minnesota- Joe Mauer

4. Cleveland- Brandon Moss

5. Kansas City- Eric Hosmer

Cabrera is showing some cracks while Abreu broke into the league like few have before. This might be a little aggressive but so what, Abreu is a monster and that's awesome. Mauer still is not a bad player and Moss upgrades the Tribe significantly. Hosmer could keep improving, but no power is bad power.

Second Base:

1. Minnesota- Brian Dozier

2. Detroit- Ian Kinsler

3. Cleveland- Jason Kipnis

4. Kansas City- Omar Infante

5. SOX- Carlos Sanchez/Micah Johnson

Yea I'm taking Dozier over Kinsler! And I'll tell you why: Kinsler is about to capital 's' Suck in 2015. I can't rank him any lower than 2 because it's not like the rest of the division is even trying, though. I'll take a Kipnis rebound over Infante. Sox get what happens when two "I guess" prospects compete for a big league spot. I hope Sanchez wins.

Shortstop:

1. SOX- Alexei Ramirez

2. Detroit- Jose Iglesias

3. Kansas City- Alcides Escobar

4. Minnesota- Danny Santana

5. Cleveland- Jose Ramirez

Lindor is coming to shake this thing up, by the way. Alexei is far and away the winner here, but look out for Danny Santana. The guy was awesome last year for the Twins and could make a big push very quickly. He hasn't played much SS though, so I have to keep him low. If he can prove defensively competent he's #2 right now, maybe even #1.

Third Base:

1. Minnesota- Trevor Plouffe

2. Cleveland- Lonnie Chisenhall

3. SOX- Conor Gillaspie

4. Kansas City- Mike Moustakas

5. Detroit- Nick Castellanos

Well if that doesn't make you feel better about Gillaspie I don't know what will. Plouffe is pretty good. The rest? I got no idea, I'm reverse ranking how bad they are.

Right Field:

1. Kansas City- Lorenzo Cain

2. Tigers- JD Martinez

3. SOX- Avisail Garcia

4. Minnesota- Oswaldo Arcia

5. Cleveland- David Murphy

Big potential in the (G)Arcia pair, but it's not near the level of Cain, who I assume will be in RF because of Dyson. I could be wrong there. Murphy is absolutely terrible.

Center Field:

1. SOX- Adam Eaton

2. Kansas City- Jerrod Dyson

3. Detroit- Anthony Gose

4. Cleveland- Michael Bourne

5. Minnesota- Torii Hunter

This is dependent somewhat on Cain in right and Brantley in left, if theyre in Center it's a dogfight for #1 and everyone moves down. Other than that none of these guys are anywhere near Eaton until proven otherwise (looking at you, Gose). I like Dyson, I don't know what Minnesota is doing. (Nyjer Morgan is gone, by the way.. so Cleveland's nothingness is better than Hunter).

Left Field:

1. Cleveland- Michael Brantley

2. Kansas City- Alex Gordon

3. Detroit- Yoenis Cespedes

4. SOX- Dayan Viciedo

5. Minnesota- uhh, you can't play Willingham there. What is this?

Viciedo is better than nothing! I guess!? The drop off after Cespedes is a cliff. It's pretty awesome what the rest of the division is doing keft, really hurts the Sox to be so bad.

Next: pitching

By the end of the year, the 3B rankings might be upside down.

Still don't believe the Royals will go into 2015 with Dyson as a full-time starter. We'll see.

Suarez isn't going to be easy to dislodge from SS by Iglesias in DET. (Edit: Just woke up here in China and realized he's gone. Big gamble by DET to put all their eggs in the Iglesias basket.)

There's no way Hunter plays CF. Impossible. It could be Hicks or Buxton if he's 100%.

Willingham was on the Royals at the end of the season.

Edited by caulfield12

Pitching!

#1 Starter:

1. SOX- Chris Sale

2. Cleveland- Corey Kluber

3. Detroit- David Price

4. Kansas City- Yordano Ventura

5. Minnesota- Phil Hughes

Usually putting the reigning Cy Young winner 2nd in his own division would stir some controversy but I doubt I'll get much here. Even take away the contract situation, would you take Kluber? If Sale and Kluber both had 1 year left before free agency (and both were sure bets to leave) would you trade Sale for Kluber? No. Nobody would. Kluber is still really good though. Yordano will probably pass Price halfway through the season, and I doubt Hughes goes anywhere but down. That is still one fantastic set of pitchers though, not many divisions have that many guys who are aces or are about to be aces.

#2 Starter:

1. SOX- Jeff Samardizja

2. Cleveland- Carlos Carrasco

3. Detroit- Justin Verlander

4. Kansas City- Jason Vargas

5. Minnesota- Ervin Santana

Two horse race between Samardizja and Carrssco that I give to Samardizja for reasons you already know. But the two are really, really close. I don't know why, but people are sleeping on Cleveland's rotation this year. Kluber - Carrasco is a pretty nasty 1-2 punch, probably the second best in the AL. Verlander is getting worse, not better. Vargas is a guy. Ervin Santana continues his tour of disappointment in a place where nobody will care.

#3 Starter:

1. SOX- Jose Quintana

2. Detroit- Anibal Sanchez

3. Kansas City- Danny Duffy

4. Cleveland- Danny Salazar

5. Minnesota- Ricky Nolasco

I am not being a homer, this is just how it is. Q is probably better than all the #2's in the division (incl Samardizja). The Sox come back down to earth soon, don't worry. I've never been big on Anibal Sanchez and really he's the only thing close to Q right now. Duffy could be better than solid for KC. Salazar is not the same guy the Sox enslaved early in 2014. Minnesota obviously isn't really trying this season.

#4 Starter:

1. Detroit- Alfredo Simon

2. Minnesota- Kyle Gibson

3. Cleveland- Trevor Bauer

4. SOX- Hector Noesi

5. Kansas City- Sean Manaea

There's actually some potential in here if you squint. Gibson isn't that bad a player and neither really is Bauer. Manaea has big potential though this call to the rotation seems a little rushed (from what I read though, he's their guy). Noesi slides in low, but showed enough to put him ahead of a rookie coming from A+. Alfredo Simon isn't very good, but he's slightly better than the rest of this.

#5 Starter:

1. Detroit- Shane Greene

2. Kansas City- Jeremy Guthrie

3. SOX- John Danks

4. Cleveland- TJ House

5. Minnesota- Mike Pelfrey

Wow. Talk about bad. Not much to even say. Pelfrey is coming off injury and wasn't very good to begin with, but the Twins have a lot of guys waiting to take that spot. Same goes for KC. Detroit, Cleveland and the Sox however do not have that kind of imminent help.

Bullpen!

Middle relief:

1. Kansas City

2. Minnesota

3. Cleveland

4. SOX

5. Detroit

This is the hardest thing to grade out since nobody really knows. Kansas City does not just get #1 for incumbency's sake though, they have a parade of arms coming up that are all well suited for bullpen roles. So does Minnesota, who will probably stash their 6th starters on the ML roster doing relief work until someone fails/gets hurt. The Sox aggresively strengthened their pen while the Tigers have not, both could be just as bad though.

Set up:

1. Kansas City

2. The Rest

This is part laziness, part truth. Wade Davis is on a different planet and everyone else is just doing things.

Closer:

1. Kansas City- Greg Holland

2. SOX- David Robertson

3. Minnesota- Glen Perkins

4. Cleveland- Cody Allen

5. Detroit- Joe Nathan

What a difference $46 million makes! It still shocks me that Detroit is going to move forward with a player they know is a failure. Why Nathan, seriously? Even the Sox, who aren't suffering from a rapidly closing window lime Detroit is, did something there. They've done nothing about closer. Everyone else is where you'd expect them to be. Maybe KC trades Holland and Wade Davis becomes #1 on this list?

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/12/11/738...2015-al-central

Manaea's not the #4 starter for the Royals. It's just impossible to put someone who started important post-season games behind him.

With the Royals, it's probably Ventura, Duffy, Vargas, Guthrie and then there are about 5-7 possibilities for 5th starter, among them Manaea, Finnegan and Zimmer (if healthy).

The Indians would probably list it Kluber, Salazar or Bauer, THEN Carrasco at this point.

Minnesota would be Hughes, Santana, Gibson, May and Millone. No Nolasco...or, at best, he's 5.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 02:53 AM)
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/12/11/738...2015-al-central

Manaea's not the #4 starter for the Royals. It's just impossible to put someone who started important post-season games behind him.

With the Royals, it's probably Ventura, Duffy, Vargas, Guthrie and then there are about 5-7 possibilities for 5th starter, among them Manaea, Finnegan and Zimmer (if healthy).

The Indians would probably list it Kluber, Salazar or Bauer, THEN Carrasco at this point.

Minnesota would be Hughes, Santana, Gibson, May and Millone. No Nolasco...or, at best, he's 5.

Did you see Carrasco's numbers last year? http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

You're right about Manaea, though. Much more likely that Finnegan slots there, IMO.

For MIN, I can't see any way that May starts the year in the rotation ahead of Nolasco, even if that's the better choice.

RE: OP.

'Ware Justin Verlander. He's struggled learning to pitch with diminished velocity, but he absolutely has the changeup to do it well, and the body and mechanical profile to maintain his command. And he started looking like had it figured out toward the end of last year.

I guess what I'm saying is that Samardzija might actually be ranked third here. Regardless, those 1-3 ranks are very close together.

EDIT: Also, Ervin Santana > Jason Vargas by far

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:15 AM)
Pitching!

What a difference $46 million makes! It still shocks me that Detroit is going to move forward with a player they know is a failure. Why Nathan, seriously? Even the Sox, who aren't suffering from a rapidly closing window lime Detroit is, did something there. They've done nothing about closer. Everyone else is where you'd expect them to be. Maybe KC trades Holland and Wade Davis becomes #1 on this list?

this is alot of hard work. i appreciate your efforts and i like reading it.

nice job

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
I absolutely love Jose Abreu. But I wouldn't put him ahead of Cabrera after 1 season. I really hope you are right and Jose is better (he is younger and had a better season last year) but I want it again before I rank him ahead of present day Cabrera.

he has single handed got sox baseball to be an exciting element. he got me back

to sox baseball.

It's going to be important to start hot.. Lots of division games and road games the first two months.

Looking at the rotation, the first 11 starts could look like this for the Big 3:

Sale

4-6 at KC

4-12 vs Min

4-18 at Det

4-23 vs KC

4-28 at Bal

5-3 at Min

5-9 vs Cin

5-15 at Oak

5-20 vs Cle

5-25 at Tor

5-31 at Hou

Samardzija

4-8 at KC

4-14 at Cle

4-19 at Det

4-24 vs KC

4-29 at Bal

5-5 vs Det

5-10 vs Cin

5-16 at Oak

5-21 vs Cle

5-26 at Tor

6-2 at Tex

Quintana

4-9 at KC

4-15 at Cle

4-20 vs Cle

4-25 vs KC

4-30 at Min

5-6 vs Det

5-11 at Mil

5-17 at Oak

5-22 vs Min

5-27 at Tor

6-3 at Tex

Bold- Buy your tickets

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
It's going to be important to start hot.. Lots of division games and road games the first two months.

Looking at the rotation, the first 11 starts could look like this for the Big 3:

Sale

4-6 at KC

4-12 vs Min

4-18 at Det

4-23 vs KC

4-28 at Bal

5-3 at Min

5-9 vs Cin

5-15 at Oak

5-20 vs Cle

5-25 at Tor

5-31 at Hou

Samardzija

4-8 at KC

4-14 at Cle

4-19 at Det

4-24 vs KC

4-29 at Bal

5-5 vs Det

5-10 vs Cin

5-16 at Oak

5-21 vs Cle

5-26 at Tor

6-2 at Tex

Quintana

4-9 at KC

4-15 at Cle

4-20 vs Cle

4-25 vs KC

4-30 at Min

5-6 vs Det

5-11 at Mil

5-17 at Oak

5-22 vs Min

5-27 at Tor

6-3 at Tex

Bold- Buy your tickets

now you are reminding me of when we were young. going to games to see the favorite

pitchers.

way to go, i truly like this.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Every year i try to map out who is pitching when and buy tickets accordingly, then it rains in april and i end up seeing the number five pitcher when i go to a game.

That's your mistake. It's the White Sox, just wait until the day of the game, it won't be sold out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
That's your mistake. It's the White Sox, just wait until the day of the game, it won't be sold out.

I am all about making it a full day activity when i go so i normally always tailgate for a few hours before and try to bring a few friends. Tends to actually save money in the long run instead of buying everything in the park. I try to buy tickets when they first go on sale also so i have a list of days i want to go, as well as teams i want to see us play against.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
I can't remember what year it was but I went to like 5 or so games at the cell and I saw Scott Schoeneweis start every time. That was fun.

I used to always go to orlando hernandez starts and i would do it on purpose, it seemed like he waited about forty seconds in between pitches, you were almost always going to get at least a three hour game. Buerhle on the other hand was i think about 6 or 7 seconds.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
I used to always go to orlando hernandez starts and i would do it on purpose, it seemed like he waited about forty seconds in between pitches, you were almost always going to get at least a three hour game. Buerhle on the other hand was i think about 6 or 7 seconds.

I was at one of the Buehrle-Mulder hr and 40 minute games back in the day which was amazing but as you said it felt like I was barely there

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Considering what?

at this moment, this is the best that can happen. go into the next season and

see how Conor improves or not.

the sox have too many holes that needs to be fix. the sox have a viable player

who can contribute at 3b.

the sox have another player that the org hopes to rebound. there is still room to

improve, but what is the priority of position getting fix right now.