Trade for David Price?

BFirebird

I am not sure where Jim Bowden pulled this from....but he obviously doesn't think having possibly 5 lefty starters in a few years isn't a big deal. :-)

I won't post his explanation since it is an insider article, but here is his trade idea for Price:

The trade: Micah Johnson, Erik Johnson and Chris Beck for Price.

He lists this as his 3rd idea.

Others:

LAA: C.J. Cron and Alex Yarbrough for Price.

TOR: Aaron Sanchez and Alberto Tirado for Price.

NYY: Gary Sanchez, Luis Severino and Peter O'Brien for Price.

ATL: Alex Wood, Lucas Sims and a pitching prospect for Price.

Not sure if TB would want Johnson and Beck.

Link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...ce?refresh=true

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I am not sure where Jim Bowden pulled this from....but he obviously doesn't think having possibly 5 lefty starters in a few years isn't a big deal. :-)

I won't post his explanation since it is an insider article, but here is his trade idea for Price:

The trade: Micah Johnson, Erik Johnson and Chris Beck for Price.

He lists this as his 3rd idea.

Others:

LAA: C.J. Cron and Alex Yarbrough for Price.

TOR: Aaron Sanchez and Alberto Tirado for Price.

NYY: Gary Sanchez, Luis Severino and Peter O'Brien for Price.

ATL: Alex Wood, Lucas Sims and a pitching prospect for Price.

Not sure if TB would want Johnson and Beck.

Link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...ce?refresh=true

This is discussed in the trade winds thread.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Oh also yes I would trade Micah Johnson, Beck, and a bag of balls for David Price. That would be a very nice deal for us and also 4 other teams in the AL East.

Why would that be a good deal unless we were getting a negotiation window to ensure a long-term contract extension, like the Garcia move in 2004?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Why would that be a good deal unless we were getting a negotiation window to ensure a long-term contract extension, like the Garcia move in 2004?

We could get more than that in the offseason, silly. Would you purchase a big time asset at 50% of its value to turn around and sell to the highest bidder 5 months later? Umm, yes....

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
We could get more than that in the offseason, silly. Would you purchase a big time asset at 50% of its value to turn around and sell to the highest bidder 5 months later? Umm, yes....

I really don't see proof that this is the case. In the last few years, prospects have become so overvalued that these kind of deals have become more and more rare.

And I don't know how many of you have been watching lately, but besides being a horse, David Price hasn't been all that outstanding over the last 18 months or so (he was great in the second half of last year, to his credit).

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

TB is not trading him for 1/2 his value.

This team is not contending this year with or without Shields

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)

They're not going to trade Price for that package anyway, so forget it.

Remember, they have to replace Ben Zobrist, potentially. If you combined Leury, Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson and Semien into one player, you would have the value (of one Zobrist), but we don't unfortunately don't have the option of doing that.

The likes of Micah Johnson and Beck as the centerpiece of a trade...not happening. Now if it's Tim Anderson being offered, Andrew Friedman will start to consider it, depending on the 2nd and 3rd pieces.

Friedman, in the end, doesn't become one of the top 2-3 GM's in baseball by making stupid trades. He knows exactly what he wants for Price.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
I only trade for Price if we can extend him. Although we could likely get something good next year if we had him and dealt him

I'm not sure Hahn wants to go down that route, because you run the risk of him being so good and the team being in contention next year...so the fanbase would go crazy if you missed the shot at the playoffs, but equally hold it against Reinsdorf for dealing him at the same time.

It's kind of a no-win situation, where it can end up like Edwin Jackson being dumped for less than value or you are forced to hold onto him and be "all in" like Dayton Moore and the Royals essentially are with James Shields.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
They're not going to trade Price for that package anyway, so forget it.

Remember, they have to replace Ben Zobrist, potentially. If you combined Leury, Carlos Sanchez, Micah Johnson and Semien into one player, you would have the value (of one Zobrist), but we don't unfortunately don't have the option of doing that.

The likes of Micah Johnson and Beck as the centerpiece of a trade...not happening. Now if it's Tim Anderson being offered, Friedman will start to consider it, depending on the 2nd and 3rd pieces.

Friedman, in the end, doesn't become one of the top 2-3 GM's in baseball by making stupid trades. He knows exactly what he wants for Price.

If you combined Micah's offensive game with Leury's defensive profile you'd have one of the more exciting prospects in all of baseball and a player with a lot more overall ability than Ben Zobrist has ever had. We'd have a true lead-off hitting high defensive value starting SS, i.e. more like a young Jimmy Rollins or something, not Zobrist. I think you are vastly underrating Micah Johnson and really so is the rest of this board. But still, for David Price? Yes I do that, and I flip Price later, and no, that isn't happening because Jim Bowden doesn't run a baseball team anymore.

Now re: a Micah trade, if you're bringing in someone's top prospect RHSP or something like that, someone who the Sox feel has the ability to step into the rotation as a September callup ala Erik Johnson last year but with a much higher ceiling than Johnson, then sure, think about trading Micah then. But you'd need something back that made sense and it would have to be a good player. Micah seems to be the antithesis of the low baseball IQ K machine me first swing-and-miss BustOMania s***spects we've amassed over the years. This guy actually looks like he has the floor of a Major League player. His ceiling is a long-term option and true lead-off type. You don't give him away.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm not sure Hahn wants to go down that route, because you run the risk of him being so good and the team being in contention next year...so the fanbase would go crazy if you missed the shot at the playoffs, but equally hold it against Reinsdorf for dealing him at the same time.

It's kind of a no-win situation, where it can end up like Edwin Jackson being dumped for less than value or you are forced to hold onto him and be "all in" like Dayton Moore and the Royals essentially are with James Shields.

We got excellent value for Edwin Jackson. The only problem was that Stewart busted. If you look at the Reed trade a year from now you might say we dumped Reed off on AZ for a bag of balls, but really we got really good value at the time.

The Royals are just stupid. They aren't "forced" to hang onto anyone. They brought in Shields and Ervin Santana, signed Guthrie, and really haven't done s*** since then. They gave a bunch of money to Omar Infante and Jason Vargas, oh wow big money players those guys are. They're a lucky team right now but they've botched their opportunities 2 straight years now. Chances are their division hopes are gone first week of September and they're a couple games from the wildcard when it's all over. Then Shields leaves, and they'll be thinking about dumping Billy Butler and "rebuilding" again because they are a franchise full of quitters and losers too stupid and afraid to make a big play for the playoffs, and also their owner is a clown.